NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• skylerblue4
    skylerblue4 Posts: 13 Member
    I did MFP years ago and really loved it. Last two years I've been avid with WW but had to drop it due to trying to cut expenses due to COVID. It's strange going from points to calories and having to count my zero point foods, but I'm getting used to it!

Skyler B
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,196 Member
    edited June 2020
    @trooworld Good for you for planning ahead on this trip. Your accomplishments are looking good. My day was not the best day due to my thinking. Every 2 weeks I have a Rest and Renew Day. Basically it means if I want to sit and binge watch TV all day long or read, no guilt. But with that came the thinking of let's just eat more than normal. I went back for seconds on spaghetti and took half portion. I had 1/3 of a candy bar. 6 fries. Plus because it was a rest day for movement, my water intake suffered. So some valuable lessons were learned here today. Good news is that I did track all. And I said no to Doritos. I did not subscribe to the thinking well I've already blown it might as well really enjoy myself. I'll do good tomorrow. Nope. The thinking was more like, I don't need Doritos because I've already waaaay too much today.

@skylerblue4 Welcome to the group! Some people doing MFP like the point system and use the iTrackBites app but come to MFP for the support. Being free makes it better. Although I don't know which version of WW that is. They keep changing. I figure count whatever gets you to your goal. My mindset is that if it's 0 I can eat as much as I want. Which would be fine if that was all I was eating. I'm currently doing a carb cycling program. It worked wonderful last 5 months of 2019 and into January then I get sick and then covid and here we are with some lbs gained and having to restart again.

Green Day- Went over 322/238 Intentional movement: Rest Day

June goals: Green dot day :( Drink 4.5 glasses of water :( Burn 100 cals via movement Pre-plan food :(
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    edited June 2020
    @trooworld, sorry that I missed replying to your post before you went to the store! I am not a huge bar eater anymore but my favorites will always be the Quest bars. Most of them are only 4 or 5 points. What did you end up getting? :)

@renaegry, I might have to check out Color By Number. I’m a Candy Crush player when I’m just sitting and watching TV at night. :)

@cbabie, soooo glad that you checked in with us!! I believe our physical and mental health are all connected and taking care of ourselves is not a nice idea. It’s a necessity. I’m praying for you, my friend. <3

@theslightedgeforever, I’m going to be sad when we are done watching Justified. Have you ever watched Dexter? If so what did you think? It’s coming to Netflix from what I hear. :)

Good morning! So, I’ve been devouring this new book, “Fast, Feast, Repeat” by Gin Stephens and all of it has totally resonated with me. Her whole chapter on why calorie counting doesn’t work is something I actually believe in and for me, it’s proven true time and time again. What I believe has kept me overweight for most of my life is that I haven’t ever learned to read my body’s satiety clues. My hunger and satiety hormones are completely out of whack from being obese all these years. So, I do calorie counting and WW tracking in the hopes that it will do the work for me. But it hasn’t worked! Yes, I did lose 50 lbs two years ago but it was super slow and very hard. I hate being tied to a tracker and what I have come to realize is that it does mess with my head. If I overeat my points then I’m mad and if I have points left over, I will eat them. So, I am going to focus inclusively on IF and learning to listen to my body. I know this won’t be easy. But it just might be worth the effort. :) I did try to cancel my WW membership but it seems that I'm locked into a contract until November. Hmm? :grin:
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,783 Member
    Hello friends! I cleaned the inside of my car yesterday and went shopping for groceries so I'm all set for my trip. I'm not looking forward to the drive. :( I've got things to do: tomorrow is my husband's birthday and I need to make a cake and arancini balls for that.

@skylerblue4 Hi Skyler! Welcome! If you still want to track WW points, some people like to use iTrackBites (I think it might be free but I don't use it so you'll have to check it out yourself). It assigns you points like WW. Here's a blog telling you about it: https://smileyspoints.com/weight-watchers-vs-itrackbites/ And here's the link to the actual program: https://itrackbites.com/

@theslightedgeforever That's great that you were able to stop yourself, that's important. WTG!

@TeresaW1020 No worries, I got some answers on Connect. I got some tiny Protein One Strawberries & Cream bars and some Nature's Bakery (I think that's what they are called) raspberry fig bars. IF seems to really work for you, so I think you can make this new plan work. Good luck!

COMMITTED.
    June goal: track all meals, do some form of exercise 3 times a week, get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 52 oz of water per day
  • Shexio
    Shexio Posts: 184 Member
    @theslightedgeforever - so, on this tanning thing.... how did you get tested? How did you know to get tested? does my primary dr even care? I've thought of getting tested.

I'm doing good ladies! I'm here doing pretty good. Ever since I joined you...and someone said...are you eating your veggies?!?!? and What worked for me:
    1. I admitted that it was sugar not veggies. That seemed to be the turning point for me.
    2. I started tracking on MFP.
    3. I upped the anti on Tracking and put a calorie range to hit
    4. I started to track Protein in grams and put a target range on that one of 1g/pound of desired bodyweight.
    5. I started to track Carbs in grams and put a range on that to be .7g - 1g/pound of desired body weight.

Daily tracking. that's what overall works for me. I'm happily in my desired range.
    I can have a few sweets and treats as long as I plan for them
    And ya know what?!?! I don't have to over exercise.
    I don't feel like I'm using "WILL POWER" to make it through my day.

I'm actually enjoying this.
    And I think I'm enjoying working from home and the freedom it allows me to be able to 'hit' my targets.

Thanks all for your continued support.
    I don't read too many of your posts.

Rome wasn't built in a day..... and your nutrition habits won't change in a day either.
    Its a marathon...not a sprint.

Sherry
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,546 Member
    Just checking in, I have to work today...so can't really post. I am taking my health seriously and will be getting back in the groove on here.

Cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 I agree about the hunger part. But I also think it would be like having sex only to procreate. Just keep at it and see if you are losing weight at a rate that suits you. Just keep tweaking til you find that magic formula. Although something I picked up on you said WW and calorie counting in hopes it will do the work for you. So think on fasting now, how is this doing the work for you? What would it look like if you were to do the work? You being the captain of your ship. It will be worth the effort if it makes you healthier and you stay that way. Otherwise time wasted just spinning your wheels (That's what I'm reading about now) I've heard of Dexter but don't think it's my type. Hubby might like it though. I have so many shows on my TV Time app that I have to figure out what to watch next.

@trooworld I always have new food words to look up when I read your posts. I learn so much from you. I have often thought of making my own bars. But then the thought would be I could see me eating the whole pan if they were tasty enough. I hope you have a safe drive.

@shexio I've always been one to watch my body for moles and notice them. Although as I aged the more I seem to get. I would just go in for a regular mole check once a year. But this time I had a little pimple on the bridge of my nose that just didn't seem to go away. Every time I put on makeup there it was right in the middle of my face. It was tiny but I could see it and it bothered me. So on my annual dermatology trip I asked her if she knew of any special cream to make that go away. 3 months was too long. She looked at it and said I don't think it's anything but why don't we do a biopsy since at this point I had already had a couple or three pre-cancerous moles come back over different parts of my body. (one was covered by pants in the back, how did the sun get there? I hadn't tanned in 30 years) One day I was looking in the mirror and noticed I suddenly had the Big Dipper back there. She took the one in the middle and we just watch the other ones. Two days later she calls me and says Hey so you've got skin cancer and it's basal cell. Well thank God it wasn't melanoma but still nobody wants to hear the C-word. I don't. I have too many relatives that died from it. So I was sent to a plastic surgeon who specializes in faces so the scarring wouldn't be so bad. I now have a dent in my nose. Plus the area around it has lost some pigmentation so I have a slightly white spot. Right in the middle of my nose. My nose is not my favorite body part. It feels magnified to me but my friends assure me they don't see it like I do. I tell them that's because they are older now and half blind. :D It could have been worse. Don't google basal cell carcinoma pics. lol The good thing you said is you don't have to use WILLPOWER. That ebbs and flows as they say. I think anyway. I'm glad you have found what works. I know what works for me which is carb cycling but getting my mindset back in gear past couple of months has been a struggle. But that's what I'm working on now. External goals vs internal targets. Smoke and Fire. I can clear the smoke but the fire will still be burning. I need to work on putting out the fire.

@cbabie That's good that you are making the attempt to check in here if that's what is good for your mental health. Like a routine, I just keep adding little things too it so it becomes a habit. Besides we are a fun bunch of gals. Everyone needs fun in their lives.

Yellow Day- Went Over 209/150 g Intentional Exercise-nada

June goals: Green dot day :( Drink 4.5 glasses of water o:) Burn 100 cals via movement :( Pre-plan food o:)
  • TeresaW1020
    @trooworld, be safe on your trip! I have seen cooking shows make arancini balls but have never tried them. Are they difficult to make? What kind of cake is your DH getting? I LOVE cake!! :grin:

@cbabie, getting back in the groove is a good thing as is taking your health seriously. I’m rooting for you!! :)

@theslightedgeforever, let me clarify what I wrote. It’s not the fasting that is doing the work for me. The work needs to come from my understanding when I’m hungry vs. head hunger and when to STOP eating when I feel satisfied. When I do calorie counting, WW points, or macro counting I rely on those numbers to tell me what to eat and when to stop. Example: If I fast 19 hours and have 30 WW points, I will eat all 30 points or more simply because I don’t even bother to try to listen to my body and stop eating. Then I usually end up overly full and upset that my weight doesn’t budge. Now truth be told all those tracking methods would probably work better if I followed them to the letter. But I don’t. Why? Because I lack the discipline and ability to listen and obey my body’s hunger and satiety cues. So, the work has to come from me and yes, I think it’s going to be very hard. But if it works then it will be entirely possible that I will be able to have my cake and eat it too. And you know that I love me some cake!! :grin: Did any of that make sense?

Good morning! So, yesterday I went and bought 7 puzzles for $30 from this woman on Facebook Marketplace. DH and I met her in a store parking lot not far from our house. Those along with the three I bought at Goodwill should keep me busy for a while. :grin: But first today, I need to work out, mop my floors, and finish my book. My fasting goal today is 23 hours. I will break my fast with grilled country pork ribs and homemade coleslaw. Have a great day! :)
  • trooworld
    Hello friends! I'm back from my car trip. It took me 2 hrs to get to LA and 3 hours to get back due to traffic. :( But I made it safely that's what's important.

@Shexio It sounds like you really found what works for you. That's awesome!

@cbabie Good to "see" you. Have a great day!

@theslightedgeforever LOL I'm glad I can teach YOU something, as you always teach me things! ;) Yeah, homemade things always taste so much better than store-bought, it would be easy to overeat the homemade bars.

@TeresaW1020 Thanks! The arancini balls are labor-intensive. First, you have to make risotto, which involves constantly babysitting: you have to slowly stir and add broth to it for about 30-35 minutes, keeping an eye on it and like I said, stirring constantly. Then, when the risotto is done, you have to let it cool slightly and take it and mound it into balls and stick a cube of mozzarella in the center of the ball. Then you take each ball and you coat it in egg, then coat it in breadcrumbs. Then you fry all the balls and eureka! You are done. I'm actually shortening the process by making my risotto in my Ninja Foodi using the pressure cooker setting. I won't have to do the stirring/babysitting. ;) As for the cake, I am making a cake called, "Too Much Chocolate Cake" it's a chocolate bundt cake with a chocolate ganache over it. It's a super moist cake that is a family favorite! Sometimes I layer fresh strawberries over it with mint, but today, I'm going to be lazy and it's just going to be the cake lol. That's great that you got your puzzles. Your dinner sounds delicious! Enjoy!

COMMITTED.
    June goal: track all meals, do some form of exercise 3 times a week, get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 52 oz of water per day
  • cbabie
    Morning all, I just got off my treadmill and am sweating...ugh. That is a good thing though LOL. Many things have changed in my life in the past few months. One I was not on here due to life being full of challenges. I had a spell last Saturday, don't know what happened to me. All I know is one minute I am on the side of the bed, the next my family is around me as I lay on the floor in a different part of the house throwing up. No one has told me how long I was out for, but I know it was at least 40 mins. So that being said, yes I have to take my health serious. I still work 4 hours a day at a job, I really don't like, but that won't be forever and I can work at home, so that is great. I also will be singing this weekend at my church on the platform. I haven't sung at church since before I broke my wrist last year. So I am excited to sing again. Now if I could just win the lottery.LOL. Kidding. I am a part of Young Living Oils and I love the benefits of oils and nutrition. I do know that you can eat healthy exercise and still be unhealthy because of stress in your body. So I am here to make sure I live to a very ripe old HEALTHY age.

@TeresaW1020 Puzzles are fun, I haven't worked one in abut 7 years. Before Life hit, I used to have one going all the time. They are very relaxing. (unless you are my oldest daughter). She beats the puzzle piece in to make it fit..LOL I hear you on the WW and such..I got so used to counting points years ago, I didn't count nutrition. It is really about nutrition and not points.

@theslightedgeforever Yes please get back to your health. I can't lose a sister.

@trooworld Glad you made it back to your home. The cake sounds delicious. I went off my no sugar last Sat, it was my daughters 42nd birthday and after my spell, I decided it was time. I think that everything should be ok in moderation. Unless of course you have a medical reason.

Well I have to jump in the shower and get my day started...

Cbabie
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi all..not much happening here. Have been fishing & playing games with the gkids. Dd plans to go home for a week, has some business to take care of & will work from home there for the week. She has taken vacation for the next week, so will be back then. The gkids will stay here with us. Hope we can keep them occupied, lol.

@cbabie Glad to see you back again. I agree our health has to be a priority. Have fun singing at church. We are still doing online services. I have been having a diffuser going with "immunity" oils.

@TeresaW1020 Wow...23 hour fast!! I can do about 16 hr, but that is my limit. Good luck!! Have fun with all the puzzles. I love doing jigsaw puzzles, too.

@trooworld Glad you made it home safely from your trip. Your cake sounds yummy..I love chocolate cake!!

@shexio glad you are finding maintaining easy. I hope I will too, lol. Not quite there yet, tho, lol.

Well, everyone up & starting a game, so I guess I better go. Have a great weekend.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 Yes it made sense. I wanted you to delve deep into your mindset about why you are doing this. No charge for this session. :D The ribs sound good.

@trooworld Yeah so those arancini balls sound like a bunch of work. better to order them at a restaurant. lol June is almost over; we have to finish out the month strong.

@cbabie Hooray for sweating on the treadmill I'm like your oldest daughter with puzzles. Don't have the patience for it. lol

@retiredandlovingit Sounds like you are having fun with the grand kids. Maybe a game of kickball outside. It would be fun and burn some calories.

Green Day-Stayed OP 159/238 Intentional Movement-nada

June goals: Green Dot Day o:) drink 4.5 glasses of water :( burn 100 cals via movement :( Pre plan food o:)
  • TeresaW1020
    @trooworld, I sure hope your DH appreciated all the effort you put in to making his birthday special. I really need that cake!! :grin:

@cbabie, Oh my goodness that must have been so scary! Did you go to the doctor? Stress makes it very hard to be healthy no matter how much you exercise and eat well. I hope that you can make the needed changes to have more peace in your life. That is great that you are singing again in church! What song will you sing? :)

@RetiredAndLovingIt, have fun with those grandkids! I bet you are a super cool grandma. :grin:

@theslightedgeforever, glad I made sense, and thank you for the push to self-analyze. Definitely one of your specialties. ;)

Good morning! So, I did it!! Yesterday I fasted for 23 hrs. and 17 min. :grin: It really wasn’t that hard. I got hungry throughout the day, but it comes and goes so it’s manageable. I drank sparkling plain water and had three cups of black coffee. I was of course hoping to see a big drop on the scale this morning, but it didn’t budge. That is OK and actually to be expected. One of the things that fasting does is ramp up your HGH hormone which helps you build muscle. If muscle can replace my fat, then I’m OK with slow losses. Speaking of muscles I managed to pull my left calf muscle doing that same exercise that I did the last time I pulled both calf muscles. Ugghhhh! I’m taking today off to rest. OK, I gotta go get ready for church!! Have a great day! :)
  • trooworld
    Hello friends! Yesterday was very busy: I cooked from 11:30 until about 4:30 and then we went over to my in-law's apartment for my husband's birthday celebration. The food was really good and I controlled myself but even so, I ended up using all of my daily points and most of my weekly points. I really didn't eat that much (1 piece of pizza, 1 arancini ball with marinara sauce, some salad, 1 BBQ rib, 1 small piece of cake with about 1/4 cup of ice cream). But everything was very high in points.

@cbabie Yay for getting on the treadmill! Oh gosh, that spell sounds very serious. I'm glad you are taking your health seriously. <3 Yes, the cake was really good. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your daughter's birthday.

@theslightedgeforever Indeed! I said last year when I made them that I'd never make them again. But the things you do for love lol. You are right, the month is almost over. How have you been doing the past few days?

@TeresaW1020 He did I think lol! Everyone else did too, my MIL was very happy with the food (and she's hard to impress). Cake: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7565/too-much-chocolate-cake/ and put this on top of it: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/33647/chocolate-ganache/ Congratulations on your big fast! Woo hoo!!! When does church open for the public? Is it today?

COMMITTED.
  • cbabie
    Afternoon all, I am fighting a slight headache today. I went to church, we have a "must wear mask" in public mandate here now. However, because we are still doing the 6ft social distancing at church, we didn't have to wear it there. I so loved signing again. It was only 3 songs and I wanted to do more. LOL Had 2 services, so I guess I should be grateful. I didn't sleep well last night, so I think thats why the headache. Or it could be I had to wear the mask getting groceries after church and my glasses kept fogging up...and I felt like I was breathing in my carbon monoxide ....good thing I don't work in a hospital. LOL

@trooworld you are right, you didn't eat alot. It sounds like you were satisfied and I think that is what counts.

@TeresaW1020 I sing in a group, not sure I would sing by myself. LOL. Today we sang an old old song at the end of service and I had to sing the low part...funny thing was I heard my MOM..I sounded just like her. The song was Victory in Jesus..

@RetiredAndLovingIt So glad you get to enjoy your family!! We are living in crazy times.

@theslightedgeforever sounds like you are getting back in the groove.

Cbabie
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Hey all, I still am sort of doing fitness 'light' lol. Just not in the space I was in pre-pandemic. I miss chatting with everyone here though! However, I have kept tracking throughout and I've wrestled my weight down 2 weeks in a row. It's not what it was before pandemic, but at least I got the trend going in the right direction! Some of my clothes were getting tight.

I had two weeks off work and biked a lot- my max was 25 km in one day. Back at work now.

I called my Dad for father's day, it was nice to connect with him on the phone. Things here are STILL shut down so not much to do.

@cbabie singing was always my favourite part of work. Yep- social distancing = no mask, so glad you were able to do it.

@trooworld sounds like you had a good celebration. That is a lot of cooking. Cooking can be really tiring lol. Honestly if I won the lottery all I would want is a cook and an interior decorator.

@TeresaW1020 sorry about your calf muscle! Hopefully rest will fix it. Good score with the puzzles- I did the same thing this weekend. I went to a secondhand store and I didn't think they would have any but I got three. One was never opened. ..........I do my best fasting when I'm asleep :D I'm pretty much a pro at it.

@RetiredAndLovingIt do you cook the fish you catch?

Well another workweek this week. Not sure what else is on tap. Some bike riding. I may try to do some core exercises. I haven't in a while but I feel like I should try some simple stuff. Maybe it will wake up my motivation!
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Meant to say singing was my fave part of church!
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 Good for you for completing your fast. Ouch on the calf muscle.

@trooworld In lots of ways I'm hitting my June targets alot better than I was before at the beginning. Truly a work in progress.

@cbabie There is a quick fix solution to glasses fogging up because of the max. https://forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/04/16/how-to-stop-face-masks-from-fogging-up-your-glasses/#4beb50cd2e6a I am hearing Madonna's "Get into the Groove" song in my head.

@its_cleo You are doing great with keeping up your tracking and losing some weight. Maybe your body just needed a switch up with fitness light. When will they open things up where you are. I bet your numbers are better than ours. My youngest son does not know what the word social distancing means. I suppose he thinks that because he has to wear a mask everyday for work that he shouldn't when visiting with friends. It's like he thinks you can't get corona from someone you know. I happened to see an Instagram video today. SIGH I would want a cook too. My daughter says I'd really like to be in Downton Abbey and ring the bell. (they had no internet back then, so pros and cons)

Yellow Day Stayed OP 164/164 Intentional Movement: 30 min walk

June goals: Green dot day o:) Drink 4.5 glasses of water :( Burn 100 cals via movement o:) Pre plan food o:)
  • trooworld
    Good morning friends! My head hurts and it has been hurting since yesterday. :( In better news, my husband finally put the new seat on the spin bike and it is better. I was able to ride the bike for 15 minutes last night which is much longer than I've been able to ride it since we've got it. I will ride it again today, in the morning when I have more energy so hopefully, I can ride for longer.

@cbabie I'm sorry you have a headache, too. Hopefully, we both feel better soon. That's good you were able to go back to church. I was satisfied with that food, it helped that it was all good.

@its_cleo That's great that fitness is still somewhere on your brain lol! And congrats on being down two weeks in a row woot woot!!! We did have a good celebration. Yes, cooking is really tiring sometimes! A cook and an interior decorator sound like a good investment ;).

@theslightedgeforever That's great. I think we all are works in progress. I'm back to using a paper calendar and stickers for rewards.

COMMITTED.
  • cbabie
    Afternoon, I am still fighting that headache. I think its the air. LOL. I didn't walk on Sunday, but did this morning..so getting back into the routine !!! I did however eat the rest of the birthday cake that was left in the fridge yesterday. I told my DH no more cake allowed in the house. LOL

@trooworld I am so glad your DH got your seat on. That seat makes all the difference.

@theslightedgeforever Funny, I see your face on the happy angel face..LOL. You always portrayed the angel when you know you were never an angel. LOL

@its_cleo I bet your glad to be back at work. LOL I laughed about the church/work. sometimes it's one and the same.

Cbabie