I ate a piece of cake! ☹😥

So it has been almost 3 months since I started my journey. I was at 200lbs, bodyfat at 33% when I started. Today, I am at 188lbs, 23% bodyfat. I have not had a single piece of candy, sweets, nothing. Not a single cheat meal since I started. My caloric intake is 1700 daily. But today, today I had a piece of cake! I knew there was going to be a chance I would eat over my daily calories being Fathers Day and all. After inputting all my meals, I went over my calories by 200, carbs by 85g and now I feel guiltier than ever. I shouldn't of had a piece of cake. Have you guys had any similar experiences and how did you cope? Am I overreacting?

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Yep.. advice as above.
    It happened.. move on.
  • naguilar1021
    naguilar1021 Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you guys. I don't think I'll be doing that again. 😉.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    Was it tasty? If you ate it and it tasted awful, probably a problem. If it was yummy and you didn't eat the entire cake...big deal. If you can fit it into your calories, you could have cake every day. Not esp nutritious, but it won't kill you (unless you're diabetic).
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

Now if you ate a piece of cake and it was supposed to be my piece of cake... then there's be trouble :D
  • naguilar1021
    lx1x wrote: »
    What kind of cake? Asking for a friend

Mango cake, with mango chunks and butter cream icing...it was phenomenal...I just felt bad I had been do focused and strict on my diet...I am more afraid of derailing than anything...
  • naguilar1021

Now if you ate a piece of cake and it was supposed to be my piece of cake... then there's be trouble :D

😆 good point.
  • naguilar1021
    MuttiNM wrote: »
    Are you going to go the rest of your life never eating cake? I'm not! :)

I've been on my weight loss journey about 14 months now. I've had cake once for my son's birthday. Not a big deal. I still had a calorie deficit for the week. I had a few cookies at Christmas and we had donuts for my birthday. Still had a deficit those weeks. Those sweets are a rare treat now but I'm not planning to never eat them again. I want to learn how to fit them in while I'm losing and in the future when I'm maintaining.

Don't feel guilty. Going over your planned calories by 200 likely still has you at a deficit for the day and most certainly for the week. Plan for the treats, enjoy them, and move on. It's part of life!

Congrats on your loss!

Thank you. Great advice and you are right. I used to eat without any care. The old me would of had 3-4 pieces of cake, I had 1 slice. I am just afraid of derailing. Losing my focus. But I have to stay on track.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    @naguilar1021 I totally understand the fear of derailing. I deal with that too. In the past, I felt like it had to be all or nothing. I'm trying to learn that having something that's not part of my usual way of eating doesn't mean I've failed. I'm trying to eat the way I want to for the rest of my life, just currently a bit fewer calories. My plan needs to include the ability to enjoy the occasional celebrations in life. Good job on eating 1 slice. I know past me would have had more than one as well!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    So it has been almost 3 months since I started my journey. I was at 200lbs, bodyfat at 33% when I started. Today, I am at 188lbs, 23% bodyfat. I have not had a single piece of candy, sweets, nothing. Not a single cheat meal since I started. My caloric intake is 1700 daily. But today, today I had a piece of cake! I knew there was going to be a chance I would eat over my daily calories being Fathers Day and all. After inputting all my meals, I went over my calories by 200, carbs by 85g and now I feel guiltier than ever. I shouldn't of had a piece of cake. Have you guys had any similar experiences and how did you cope? Am I overreacting?

Today I also had a piece of cake, but I ended the day 95 calories below my limit. Cake isn't going to undo all your hard work. Just log it as accurately as possible like any other food.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    lx1x wrote: »
    What kind of cake? Asking for a friend

Mango cake, with mango chunks and butter cream icing...it was phenomenal...I just felt bad I had been do focused and strict on my diet...I am more afraid of derailing than anything...

That sounds like flipping good cake. Also, if it was part of a general nice, celebratory, Fathers day do, what else were you going to do?
    I *know* that life isn't all about treats, but it has never once occurred to me that I would make a salad bowl for my Dad as a present :D

As it was I made him peanut butter brownies. I may have had a couple for quality control purposes, they were very good :)

The difference now for me, is that I will immediately just go back to eating what I normally do. Rather than spending the next few weeks eating everything I can get my hands on because it's all ruined now anyway. What makes the biggest difference is what you do most of the time.

We had hot fudge brownie sundaes! They were delicious.