What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Everything in moderation lol........ my moderation is not your moderation and no two moderations are the same.

Curious if you would disagree with this: "if it's not consistent with a calorie appropriate and overall healthy diet with sufficient nutrients, then it's not moderation unless we are talking a rare occasion."

I would disagree. This is not moderation. This is back to the only thing that works, calories counting.
    Some people have a smear of peanut butter on their toast and feel satisfied. They are moderating their calories intake by that. I cant do that. Thats why no two moderations are the same.

I agree that calorie counting is what works for WEIGHT LOSS. But optimal health goes so much further. This is where the idea of "everything in moderation" needs to be thrown out... for optimal health, even just a bit of processed foods will add up.

You mean like Halo Top (as per your other thread) :D

LOL

And really, pancakerunner, this is kind of the source of my reaction. You go on and on about super processed kids foods (IMO) that I didn't even like as a kid and then lecture everyone on "processed foods" generally, as if they weren't totally varied and as if overall diet wasn't what mattered.

I do agree to some extend about processed seed oils and omega 6 to 3 balance (omega 3s are a big thing for me and the only oils I use are olive, avocado, and coconut -- all processed, as is butter). When I log it's at Cron to see nutrients, and I especially care about fiber (which I get only from natural sources), potassium, and omega 3, but like to hit all my nutrients when logging.

So no, I don't think occasional processed foods inherently have some bad effect on health. I think most should focus on eating more veg and the like more than what they don't eat. If you are eating tons of pop tarts or a pint of Halo Top or what not a day, I'd say that's not really moderation (although the Halo Top is low cal, of course).

Claiming one must eat 100% clean (and not treats in moderation, whatever "treats" means to you, to me it definitely includes good cheese) to be healthy is not supported by anything credible and likely makes things harder for many (unnecessarily so).

Again, I'm no saint. Just sharing some science and an opinion :)
  • pancakerunner
    Everything in moderation lol........ my moderation is not your moderation and no two moderations are the same.

Curious if you would disagree with this: "if it's not consistent with a calorie appropriate and overall healthy diet with sufficient nutrients, then it's not moderation unless we are talking a rare occasion."

I would disagree. This is not moderation. This is back to the only thing that works, calories counting.
    Some people have a smear of peanut butter on their toast and feel satisfied. They are moderating their calories intake by that. I cant do that. Thats why no two moderations are the same.

I agree that calorie counting is what works for WEIGHT LOSS. But optimal health goes so much further. This is where the idea of "everything in moderation" needs to be thrown out... for optimal health, even just a bit of processed foods will add up.

You mean like Halo Top (as per your other thread) :D

LOL

And really, pancakerunner, this is kind of the source of my reaction. You go on and on about super processed kids foods (IMO) that I didn't even like as a kid and then lecture everyone on "processed foods" generally, as if they weren't totally varied and as if overall diet wasn't what mattered.

I do agree to some extend about processed seed oils and omega 6 to 3 balance (omega 3s are a big thing for me and the only oils I use are olive, avocado, and coconut -- all processed, as is butter). When I log it's at Cron to see nutrients, and I especially care about fiber (which I get only from natural sources), potassium, and omega 3, but like to hit all my nutrients when logging.

So no, I don't think occasional processed foods inherently have some bad effect on health. I think most should focus on eating more veg and the like more than what they don't eat. If you are eating tons of pop tarts or a pint of Halo Top or what not a day, I'd say that's not really moderation (although the Halo Top is low cal, of course).

I'm just really confused because of the disconnect. I don't go claiming that meat is bad and shouldn't be consumed in any amount for optimal health with sources, then start another thread called "show me your favourite grilled meats!" I am not sure what is going on there @pancakerunner maybe you could explain? Why do you say one thing then act in the opposite direction? Just curious.

I am simply sharing an opinion and some science that supports it. I do not claim to live or eat this way. But there is credible, and quite extensive, research to back it. Also, I'm not preaching everyone should live this way and am not discrediting others opinions or ways of life.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Going back to unpopular opinions, sweet + salty weirds me out.

I guess I like cheesecake, but that's the only exception...

WHA? No salted caramel? No chocolate-covered pretzels?
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Oatmeal and bananas. If I had no teeth and lost my senses, it'd make sense.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member

Do you mean mixing? I do not like bansna in anything, only eaten alone.
    Peanut butter on the other hand.......
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited June 2020
    VegjoyP wrote: »

VegjoyP wrote: »

I'm pretty much the opposite - I wouldn't just consume a banana by itself - ick to me... It has to be either be a pb on toast w/ sliced banana or on oatmeal/banana cake, etc.,
  • rosegreen12
    rosegreen12 Posts: 35 Member
    Carbs (along with calories) make a difference, at least for some people.
  • dawkson2017
    dawkson2017 Posts: 18 Member
    I hate mangoes! And passionfruit, and pawpaw!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Carbs (along with calories) make a difference, at least for some people.

I agree from MY experience, period. When I was younger it was different. Now at 47 my body does not do as well with high carb at all. A moderately lower carb, higher in both protein and/ or fat.
  • pancakerunner

Same! And dragon fruit. Passion fruit is the absolute worst.
  • pancakerunner
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Truly amazing to look at and smell, though: Blooms as big as your hand, and fragrant. (Yes, these were at my house.) Total digression on a food thread. Oh, well. ;)

aquncw36jswy.jpg

Lychee/rambutan and papaya are my favorite tropical fruits.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

Truly amazing to look at and smell, though: Blooms as big as your hand, and fragrant. (Yes, these were at my house.) Total digression on a food thread. Oh, well. ;)

aquncw36jswy.jpg

Yeah, fresh lychee, rambutan are good - also the somewhat similar longan. Rambutan is more fun when whole, though.

I'm quite fond of mamey sapote, too, but it's unusual to see them here that are nicely ripe but not rotting.

Guavas are also nice. Some types remind me a little of the Northern wild mayapple fruits, both in appearance and some of the flavor elements.
  • pancakerunner

aquncw36jswy.jpg

Yeah, fresh lychee, rambutan are good - also the somewhat similar longan. Rambutan is more fun when whole, though.

I'm quite fond of mamey sapote, too, but it's unusual to see them here that are nicely ripe but not rotting.

Guavas are also nice. Some types remind me a little of the Northern wild mayapple fruits, both in appearance and some of the flavor elements.

I also like permissions... depending on how prepared. Guava is good too! Another one I HATE though is the horned cucumber. awful.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Palm oil is poison.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Going back to unpopular opinions, sweet + salty weirds me out.

I guess I like cheesecake, but that's the only exception...

WHA? No salted caramel? No chocolate-covered pretzels?

Definitely not and no, respectively. I like my sweets sweet and my savories savory ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • pancakerunner
    Palm oil is poison.

And how is this?