Accountability buddy

Replies

• B3sha
    B3sha Posts: 15 Member
    @ministooks hi! I too am trying to cut out the junk and snacking. Why is it so hard?! I try to buy snacks and treats that just my kids will like so I won’t be tempted to eat any. Problem with that is that I am not a picky eater at all. 😂 I’ll do the portioning next time to help me not just mindlessly eat.
  • LeeAnneIAm
    LeeAnneIAm Posts: 22 Member
    @B3sha Yes, portioning out sizes is something I need to work on dearly :# Problem is, sometimes I'm too lazy haha
  • kiay131982
    kiay131982 Posts: 217 Member
    Morning all!! Outdoor gym class in the rain today, thatll be refreshing! :smile:
    Really, really, really want to have shifted the last half pound to have reached my next mini target for tomorrows weigh in, so I will be so on it with macros and calories and just moving ALLLLL day today :)
  • kiay131982
    Burpeed on a bee accidently in gym class.... My word my hand hurts!!!
    Otherwise a Good day though, clean eating, lots of moving and its Friday!!! :)

Having my weigh in day set for a Saturday means there is no chance of me scuppering my goals by drinking or snacking too much on a Friday evening :)
  • greenpool
    greenpool Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all,

Didn't want to setup a new thread so I'm adding this request here. I'm looking for an one on one accountability buddy to keep each other motivated.

It doesn't matter if it is male or female but here's what I'd like us to do:

- Share goals; long term and short term
    - set a deadline for short term goals
    - share how we will measure progress on a weekly basis.
    - weekly check-ins via call, chat, email whatever works to discuss obstacles to hitting our weekly goals, progress, how close or further we are from hitting our weekly milestones etc.
    - Share any tips or tricks on keeping our goal at the forefront on a daily basis
    - uplift each other
    - celebrate each other's wins!

Despite the serious undertone I'd like to keep it fun 😁

Please DM me if you're interested. Let's build our goals together!
  • kmccrom
    kmccrom Posts: 74 Member
    Good morning to all and happy Father’s Day to any dads out there...

I got a bit off track this week. I was out of town with a couple of my kids, in the mountains, and I got tired of tracking. Also I went on a huge hike but then I was starving at night and ate up the house. That’s the kind of behavior that got me where I am now. Wanting to own it and move on from it. As long as I don’t do that most weeks, I’ll be ok. I appreciate the positive energy of this group!
  • kiay131982
    Jey @kmccrom sounds like some lovely quality time with your kids!
    The difference is that this time you appreciate it isnt sustainable if you are going to hit your goals, so you can put it behind you and move forward with your tracking xxx
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    @greenpool - Welcome! Feel free to post your weekly goals (and plans for accomplishing them) here until you find a one-on-one accountability buddy. I think we’re all making good progress here but I’d be afraid to let down a one-on-one buddy because I don’t post consistently enough. If you’re game for group accountability in the meantime, let us know what your goals are, and best wishes on your journey!

@kmccrom - I hope you enjoyed your time in the mountains. A hike with your kids sounds nice and likely burned some calories. Maybe it will balance out better than you think! Since this is something you’re reflecting on as a pattern, working up an appetite and then eating more than you planned, I’d it worth trying to figure out what you’ll do next time to prevent it? ... Maybe bringing a healthy snack, preparing something ahead of time so it’s ready when you return, or thinking about a non- food reward might work. Anyway, you’re right that it’s fine to indulge occasionally and it’s behind you now. I only brought it up again because you mentioned it as a pattern.

I got off track yesterday because we ordered take-out food and healthy options were limited. Takeout portions often throw my calories off so I decided to make up the difference with a calorie deficit today. I think I’ll make it but do you all have a strategy you use or recommend so I can break my negative pattern? Last night, I planned to eat only half the meal (burger) but it didn’t feel as though the leftover food would be appealing to me the next day. It also tasted good at the time so I just gave in ... I have trouble ‘wasting’ food, too, even though I know it might be worth it in the long run by cutting down on health costs if I continue to make unhealthy choices. I’ll look forward to any ideas ...

I’ll plan to work out more this week and add some salad to replace some of my carbs since my macro balance is gradually skewing more and more into too many high carb days. Enjoy your week and Happy Father’s Day to all the families celebrating!
  • meowysmiling5779
    meowysmiling5779 Posts: 15 Member
    I am interested and new here.
  • kiay131982
    @PatriceFitnessPal I have a few tactics for takeout food depending on the circumstances....
    If I know its coming, a planned weekend treat etc then I will try and build a defecit beforehand so I know what I can have guiltfree.
    If it's a spur of the moment thing then I try and mitigate, either choosing as healthily as I can, eating less (so I used to eat a burger and chips... Now i would just order the burger and make up a salad), or... Just accepting it as a thing Im going to do, and only eating until I'm full (mindful eating), enjoying it and moving on. There was a time where a takeaway could have knocked me off the rails for the whole day, even weekend! Now I just see it as one meal... Not a whole time frame.

I hope some of that makes sense!

I missed my run this week... After getting stung by the bee my hand really swelled up and was so painful! Its definitely calming down today though so Im going to head out later.

Welcome @meowysmiling5779!! What are Your goals? Tell us about you :)
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    @kiay131982 - Thanks so much for sharing your ideas! I’ll try them. I meant to comment on your bee sting ... ouch! I’m glad it’s getting better and I was impressed by how you worked around (or through?) the pain.

@meowysmiling5779 - Welcome! Sharing what our goals are with one another makes us more likely to achieve them. What’s your plan for this week?

@kmccrom - Sorry for the typos in my message. I meant to type: *Is it worth trying to figure out what you’ll do next time to prevent it?*

Have a great week everyone!
  • RaeWats
    RaeWats Posts: 57 Member
    I’ve done pretty good sticking to my goals. I’m shooting for as little junk sugar and white carbs as possible throughout the week, and then leaving room if anything comes up on the wkend.
    Scale doesn’t seem to be budging too much, but I am feeling better, can push myself more and can see changes 😊
  • jvando74
    jvando74 Posts: 29 Member
    Hi all! It’s hot as you know what here and I’ve been doing a bad job getting out on a run early. This has resulted in so overheating and yesterday in a skipped run. Getting ready to go out now and it’s already 86F. The 80w are unfortunate for running, the 90s suck.

Food wise I was doing well, then PMS and late bedtimes snuck up last week, plus Father’s Day celebration, and I’ve crept back up. Disheartening, but I’m committed to starting over today. So far, so good. Got in my regular weekday breakfast despite making my kids pancakes. Getting out on a run and I have all the fixings for an appropriate lunch.

Welcome new folks! We are scattered all over the world, so post away and probably some one will be awake and able to respond.

Have a great week everyone!
  • fletcherbritny4
    fletcherbritny4 Posts: 3 Member
    I would like an accountability buddy as well I need to lose about 30 lbs. I never stick to a diet I yoyo diet alot but now I have to lose weight due to health problems.
  • kmccrom
    kmccrom Posts: 74 Member
    Hi everyone,

@PatriceFitnessPal ... thanks for your encouragement and good questions. I think that I need to make sure that I’m eating a decent meal after a big exercise day rather than just snacking on cheese and crackers and then feeling ravenous later. I always eat a lot and snack during the big hikes themselves because I know I have to, but then I’m too tired to make a real meal. I really like your idea about planning better. As for ideas for takeout food, it’s a tough one. On Father’s Day I had hevos rancheros. They were delicious, but really heavy. I ate the whole thing too. I wonder if it’s better to try to control portions by even taking the food out of the container and putting half of it on a plate. That doesn’t work so great with a burger. Do you guys like the concept of a cheat day? I’ve never officially done that since I fall off the wagon so often anyway. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts about that.

@kiay131982 - thanks for the support. You’re so right that it’s important not to dwell on the hard parts. We don’t hav to bat a 1000. Even someone with a .400 batting average is a great hitter. Actually, I’m not sure that sports analogy works. But you guys know what I mean, I hope. When I beat myself up a lot, I get sorry for myself and have a tendency to say wtf and self sabotage. I’m determined not to do that.

Had a really good exercise day today. Working on the late night snacking and keeping my awareness high. Taking it day by day. Thanks everyone! And welcome new people! This is such a supportive group.
  • carriestrine
    carriestrine Posts: 214 Member
    I personally have not been doing a cheat day, because it opens the door for my emotional and stress eating habits. I know not everyone has those same habits, and cheat days work great for so many here!

Love seeing everyone's goals for the week! After my 10 day plateau, I committed to being active every day. So far so good, we'll see how this week plays out.

Ive also been thinking a bit about the mindful eating convos here. Ive decided to only eat when i eat something... no eating while working, no browsing on my phone while eating, no watching tv. This is a surprisingly hard habit to break.
  • B3sha
    B3sha Posts: 15 Member
    This week my goals are:
    Workout every day(this includes Sat and Sun...I have been lazy and not working out on weekends)
    No late night snacks
    Cut back on the drinks...either 1/2 a beer with my hubby or a drink every other night or so.

• LeeAnneIAm
    LeeAnneIAm Posts: 22 Member
    Going on vacation to the mountains tomorrow! Wish me luck!
  • kstpierre52020
    kstpierre52020 Posts: 60 Member
    Haven’t written because I took my kids to the beach for this week - got here and realized I forgot my running shoes! Only flip flops! (My knee won’t allow me to run on the beach barefoot anymore) That, combined with no scale (I know weighing in daily isn’t a great idea, but I typically do) and vacation mindset have led to several days of not amazing choices. BUT! Luckily we don’t live far from the beach and my husband (who is still working this week, so home) stopped by and brought me my running shoes this evening, so- it’s only Wednesday. Sitting here realizing that none of the “poor choice food” tastes that great and now I have my shoes. Planning to end the week stronger and get back to my healthier mindset once again. I’ll let you know how it goes!!!!
  • kiay131982
    Evening all!

Crazy busy work week so far here, but I spend alot of time on the phone and I pace when Im talking on the phone, so Im keeping my steps up well! :)

I didnt manage to plan my snacks overly well this week.... I baked some energy balls and oatmeal cups etc but they are small bites and Im finding they arent filling me up so Im snacking more.... Keeping within my calorie goals though so it isn't going terribly!
    Just 1.5lb to go to reach the weight I was before I got pregnant with my almost 5 year old :)