need advice! Help!

2»

Replies

• avtlove
    avtlove Posts: 82 Member
    In addition to all the good stuff people have said, read this article, OP.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

I'm also 45 yoa, 5'9, and am currently 199 pounds (after bulking on purpose to put on muscle). My maintenance calories are ~2400. I am pretty darned sure that you can lose on 1450 or even higher.

Oh my gosh I just read the article you sent and it really made me feel better. Thank YOU!!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    avtlove wrote: »

That's what I would think, as well. In the pretty recent past, (last two years) I have tracked off and on and I was able to lose at 1600-1700 cals. I just never stick with it long enough. I feel like this time I am sticking with it longer but struggling more. Even though I am super diligent about my tracking. Thanks for your insight and reply :smile:

I assume you have entered your stats in to the Guided Setup in MFP and that's when you got the 1380 calories. Where did the 1450 number come from? Is that what Lose It gave you? It's possible that they calculate differently. Many sites include your daily exercise and work out an average; MFP does not. If MFP gave you 1380, you need to eat that number of calories to lose at your chosen rate AND log your exercise and eat those calories too on your exercise days. Overall, you'll probably end up with a similar number, but if you do more exercise one week, you'll get more calories to eat with MFP.

What did you set your Goal to be vs how much do you want to lose? Look at the chart that Go_Deskercise posted and adjust your goal if necessary.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

I'm also 45 yoa, 5'9, and am currently 199 pounds (after bulking on purpose to put on muscle). My maintenance calories are ~2400. I am pretty darned sure that you can lose on 1450 or even higher.

Oh my gosh I just read the article you sent and it really made me feel better. Thank YOU!!

That’s why I share it, over and over!
  • avtlove
    So I actually increased my cals to 1600-1700, started tracking protein and making sure I was getting 100 grams per day, and the needle finally MOVED! I really think protein is my magic wand.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

That’s why I share it, over and over!

yup; I find myself having to back and re-read it on a regular basis just for a sanity check :)
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    My suggestion is to walk those 3-4 miles daily. After a couple weeks or when it becomes "easier" add some more. At some point start walking faster, then build up to a jog - a little bit at a time. And it doesn't have to be all at once. Split up the walks throughout the day if that works for you.

MFP told me 1200 calories/day was my goal, but that didn't work. I upped it to 1500 callories/day and have lost 30 pounds in 6 months. Not the rate of loss I want, but it's working - I feel better, have lost 6" around my waist (had to buy new trousers last week!)
  • avtlove
    My suggestion is to walk those 3-4 miles daily. After a couple weeks or when it becomes "easier" add some more. At some point start walking faster, then build up to a jog - a little bit at a time. And it doesn't have to be all at once. Split up the walks throughout the day if that works for you.

MFP told me 1200 calories/day was my goal, but that didn't work. I upped it to 1500 callories/day and have lost 30 pounds in 6 months. Not the rate of loss I want, but it's working - I feel better, have lost 6" around my waist (had to buy new trousers last week!)

That's fantastic! Nice work! I have increased my walking to daily, in fact i've been averaging 5 miles per day. But I can't run, I have spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease. I had a disc herniate a few years back and the orthopedic surgeon told me not to run (at my weight) which is pretty close to the weight I'm at now. I decided to ignore that, and I ran for the first time in years, a few weeks ago, messed up my back AGAIN. Had trouble walking for a few days. I would love to run, but I think I'll wait until I'm down more weight, then try again.