Adult Beverages

So the summer is upon us. Although I don’t usually drink alcohol, when we go to the cottage for the week we usually take a case of beer and cider and it is very much enjoyed. This year with trying to watch my calorie intake I have become very aware of how many calories and carbs are in one beer or cider!
What do you partake in that is low calorie and low carb?? Bonus points for things I can find in Canada lol

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You can check out Social Lite. They are vodka based, about 80-100 cals per can and 4-5% alcohol I believe. They come in a ton of flavours. They are like flavoured sparkling water with a kick, very refreshing. I am in Ontario and are at LCBO here
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I don't limit carbohydrates, but I do try to keep things reasonable caloriewise. Unfortunately, I hate light beer (at least every light beer I've ever tried). My options are usually: have the beer I really enjoy and just savor it, bourbon or rye straight, or vodka with a low calorie mixer (I like Ocean Spray diet Cranberry, it's about ten calories for 8 ounces). Regular liquor is pretty low calorie per ounce.

Some people really like White Claw or similar beverages. They're pretty low calorie. I don't really enjoy them, but it would be worth checking out because they seem perfect for summer.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Rum or Vodka mixed w/ Sprite Zero or Coke Zero, depending on the flavor.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Boone's wine coolers aren't half bad.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Help a Canadian? Much obliged compatriot! Caveat: I don't drink often lol

If you have a craft beer store near you, then call ahead and let them know your restrictions (ex. low cal). The one near me is nice and has obliged all my weird questions about matching beer to food then offered suggestions. The added bonus is that you're supporting a local brewer. Wins all around! Some of them even have ciders in inventory.

If you want to go beyond beers, I was into bourbon at the start of the pandemic. It carried me through those first few weeks lol. I picked up Maker's Mark which was mid-priced at the SAQ (Quebec's version of the liquor store) but there are better ones out there so I'm told.

If you do grab bourbon (which is surprisingly low cal for even 2 oz, which gave me a kick in the pants EVERY time), then you can also mix it with pure non-concentrated organic lemonade, fresh ginger or herbs like mint.

Have fun at the cottage, girl!

• janejellyroll
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Help a Canadian? Much obliged compatriot! Caveat: I don't drink often lol

If you have a craft beer store near you, then call ahead and let them know your restrictions (ex. low cal). The one near me is nice and has obliged all my weird questions about matching beer to food then offered suggestions. The added bonus is that you're supporting a local brewer. Wins all around! Some of them even have ciders in inventory.

If you want to go beyond beers, I was into bourbon at the start of the pandemic. It carried me through those first few weeks lol. I picked up Maker's Mark which was mid-priced at the SAQ (Quebec's version of the liquor store) but there are better ones out there so I'm told.

If you do grab bourbon (which is surprisingly low cal for even 2 oz, which gave me a kick in the pants EVERY time), then you can also mix it with pure non-concentrated organic lemonade, fresh ginger or herbs like mint.

Have fun at the cottage, girl!

Bourbon and lemonade is GOOD. I've never added ginger, I'm going to have to give that a try.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    OP, I like wine spritzers (wine and sparkling water . . . and this is the place for inexpensive, fruity, sweet wine) as a lower calorie option, or a home-made sangria with a grenache, fresh fruit and sparkling water if you're feeling a bit ambitious.

It's maybe an acquired taste, but lately I'm enjoying Rye with craft bitters and sparkling water. Another option is gin or a flavored (unsweetened) vodka with sparkling water and a citrus wedge.

Are you sensing a sparkling water theme here? :lol:

And, with apologies to OP, because I don't know whether it's available in Canada, I can't - here on MFP - resist posting this . . . an organic raw-ACV lemon-ginger mixer. It's delicious, with suitable liquor of choice, plus - if you like - sparkling water. Comes in other flavors, too. https://www.mcclarybros.com/ Get your magical ACV, your probiotics, and a tasty mixer, all in one handy bottle. ;)

yndpfjxrxyn3.jpg

@janejellyroll, if you like IPA, Bell's has a new low (110) calorie one out called "Light Hearted", that's a riff on their "Two Hearted". It's surprisingly tasty. I don't know whether it's vegan or not (I'm sadly lax about beer), and it's probably regional.
  • janejellyroll
    @AnnPT77 Oooh, I just looked it up and it looks like it is vegan! I'll have to see if it's in my area, thanks.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Titos vodka and Seltzer water with a lot of fresh Lime juice
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Beer is Corona premier 90 calories. I'm a big Jim Beam fan so limit myself to 2 drinks. I drink mine with ice and a little water.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I mostly do cheap brandy + diet mixers, been getting into spiced rum as well. It's the lowest calorie options out there as it's pretty much just alcohol.

Don't buy vodka anymore, mistakes have been made, but that's just me.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 217 Member
    I cut out all the alcohol in my diet for awhile, my idea of a cleanse. I love a beer when I'm grilling or making homemade pizza though, I found a non-alcoholic dark beer called Kaliber by Guinness 66 calories and its actually good! If your looking for the taste but not the buzz, I would recommend it - much better than odules or st Pauli n.a.