C25k Group starting March 2020

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    SuzieQ136 wrote: »
    @GummiMundi welcome to the C25K group. Where exactly are you in week one?

Thank you! :) Just finished day 3. So far, so good! :)
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    @SuzieQ136 I’m so glad to hear you got through the 20 minutes! I knew you would. 😊 I’m still jogging but now that it’s nice I’ve loved to outdoors. Harder than treadmill for me so I’ve been doing intervals. Nothing longer than 5 minutes right now but I’ll get there.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Nice job @SuzieQ136 ! I'm telling you a lot of this program is mental not physical. Although there are days when I just don't have it physically and have to pull back, but I had maybe 2 of those?

Still running, yes! I'm doing anywhere between 2 1/2 and 3 miles at a time at this point, depending on the day and how much time I have. I'm still slow (its about 30 minutes for me to do 2 1/2 miles) but I'm slowly adding in some speed work where I will sprint for like a tenth of a mile at the end of my run to try and up my speed a hair. I'm hoping to get it to the point where I can do the whole 5K in 30 minutes but it's not really a big deal at this point. Just something I'm casually working towards...

Keep up the good work! You'll have good days and bad days but just keep after it. If you need to repeat a day or even a week, just do it! Who cares? It's about you and your growth, development and health, its not like anyone is being graded here. Just keep moving!
  • SuzieQ136
    SuzieQ136 Posts: 38 Member
    @GummiMundi How’s it going for you? I started W7 yesterday. Hope you’re doing ok!
  • GummiMundi
    @SuzieQ136 I'm doing Week 3 Day 3 tomorrow, and so far it's going well. I know that next week will be a challenge for me, as there is quite an increase on the minutes, and I hope I'm able to do it. :)
    I'm glad to know you're on Week 7 already, way to go! You're an inspiration! :smiley:
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Can I join in!? I’m about to start week 5 and of course having completed the first 4 weeks looked ahead.... came on here for support groups for week 5!!
    I guess I just gotta give it a go. I’m on a rest day today and we’ll see if I do it Monday if not it has to be Tuesday to stick with my plan,!
    Ultimately I’d love to do park runs
  • GummiMundi
    Can I join in!? I’m about to start week 5 and of course having completed the first 4 weeks looked ahead.... came on here for support groups for week 5!!
    I guess I just gotta give it a go. I’m on a rest day today and we’ll see if I do it Monday if not it has to be Tuesday to stick with my plan,!
    Ultimately I’d love to do park runs

Welcome to the thread! :) You're ahead of me, I'll be starting Week 4 tomorrow. We can do this!
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    You can do it! Slow and steady. Speed will come later.
  • GummiMundi
    edited June 2020
    I've done W5D2today, which officially puts me halfway through the program. I never thought I could get so far. Now I think I may be able to finish it. :o
  • Kezanian
    Kezanian Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2020
    Hi Everyone - I have been weight lifting for 10 years yet due to covid I didn't have access to a gym for a few months now, working from home, snacking all the time ending up with about 15 to 20 lbs extra weight.

My wife and I started going for 5k walks to exercise a bit, I can't run, running for 1 minute leaves me out of breath and I have always been envious of people running long distances, a few colleagues of mine run marathons which made me look into programs that can help me reach my goal. Found C25k, started on Tuesday, today I did W1D2 I felt very exhausted after but I completed it, I still have doubts that I can do this but I'm determined to give it my best as a few days after week 8 is my 34th birthday, and running a 5k would be the best gift to myself. I'll keep you guys posted.
  • GummiMundi
    Hi Kezanian, welcome to the thread! :)

It's my first time doing C25K too, so it's not like I have a lot of experience that I can share. The one thing that, I think, helped me with my breathing when I started running was that I already had some previous endurance from walking.

If you only started walking recently, my advice is that you continue to walk those 5k at least a few times a week, until you feel comfortable walking briskly for, say, 30 or 40 minutes without losing your breath. You'll feel more at ease with running when you reach that point, I suspect.
    Also, don't worry about speed - run as slowly as you need. You will have time to improve your speed later. :)

Even if you have to repeat some weeks of the program, even if that makes it go past your birthday, don't give up! What's important is that you reach your goal, whenever that happens. Best of luck!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Kezanian wrote: »
    Hi Everyone - I have been weight lifting for 10 years yet due to covid I didn't have access to a gym for a few months now, working from home, snacking all the time ending up with about 15 to 20 lbs extra weight.

My wife and I started going for 5k walks to exercise a bit, I can't run, running for 1 minute leaves me out of breath and I have always been envious of people running long distances, a few colleagues of mine run marathons which made me look into programs that can help me reach my goal. Found C25k, started on Tuesday, today I did W1D2 I felt very exhausted after but I completed it, I still have doubts that I can do this but I'm determined to give it my best as a few days after week 8 is my 34th birthday, and running a 5k would be the best gift to myself. I'll keep you guys posted.

Welcome!

I just finished the program in May and I was like you, too. I've NEVER been a runner and have ZERO endurance, but I managed to not only get through the program but I'm still running 3 times a week! I'm pretty much running a 5K every time out now.

I was SUPER slow during the program, so don't worry about how fast you go its all about running for time. Just keep moving! I'm now working on my speed. For example, when I finished the program I did my 5K in 37:30. The other day I got it down to 34:50. That's still slow to a lot of other people!

Oh, and just so you can compare, I'm 50 years old! I wish I was 34!

One thing that helped me: if you need to repeat a day or a week, do it. Who cares? There's no prize for doing it straight through. I repeated days like 3 times. Repeat a whole week if you want. It's all about you! Just keep moving! And remember to take rest days in between.

Good luck! Have fun!
  • Kezanian
    Thanks @GummiMundi and @briscogun! Your replies were very helpful and encouraging!

On the first two days of week 1 i was running a bit too fast, and i took your advise and slowed it down a notch and the 3rd day i felt really good! i completed all 8 reps, i was really tired at the end, but not like the first two days.

This morning i did W2D1, I was really worried about this one, didn't think i could run 90sec x 6, but i did!!! i was really surprised of myself, and now i'm starting to believe more and more that this can be done.

You have some very solid timings there, when did you finish the program? for me, timing is of no concern right now, haha, just want to knock out that 5k beast!

I totally agree with you on the repetitions, it makes a lot of sense, if it's not perfect , i'll repeat the day or days until they are..

thanks for the help guys, i'll drop in with more updates every week or so.
  • GummiMundi
    @Kezanian you're off to a great start! :D I'm glad you're already feeling good about your progress, you're in the right mindset.
    I haven't finished the program yet, I'm in the middle of week 6 and, at first, I didn't believe I could get so far. But here we are. ;) Fingers crossed, we can do this!
  • GummiMundi
    That first emoticon came out wrong, but I can't edit it. It was supposed to be a wide smile.
  • Kezanian
    @GummiMundi no worries :smiley:

Today was W3D2, finished it without issues, i can feel im getting better and i look forward to the next run in the schedule!

How was week 4 for you? 5 min feels like a long time haha
  • GummiMundi
    @Kezanian yay for your progress! :smiley: I was a bit scared of week 4, I admit! ;) But everything turned out nicely, and I was able to go through that week without any issues.

I'm doing week 7 now and, much to my surprise, I'm really enjoying it. Mind you, I'm running slowly... but what matters is that I'm building stamina and, eventually, I'll be able to improve my speed.

Best of luck to you for week 4, you got this! B)
  • Kezanian
    @GummiMundi week 7!!! not much left to go, you're almost there! keep it up!
    This morning to my surprise i passed W4D1, second 5 minute run was brutal but i did it! it felt so good!

best of luck to you as well ;)
  • GummiMundi
    Way to go, @Kezanian ! :smiley: It really is amazing how good it feels when finishing a run, especially when we're not sure if we can make it until the end, hehe!

Thanks so much for your well wishes! Here's to another successful week for both of us! :star:
  • Kezanian
    @GummiMundi Definitely! i had my doubts at the beginning of the program, but this is DOABLE! W4D1 i barely finished the 2nd 5 min run, today W4D3 was a breeze i ran 7 min instead of 5 in the 2nd run!

For anyone wondering if this program works, IT DOES!!