Is anyone else over 50 having a problem losing weight?

Hi! I've technically been a member since 2011 but just now getting back on as I've gotten to a point that no matter what I do I cannot lose. I eat a 1,200 calorie a day diet and exercise every day. I do at least 30 minutes of cardio and add in weight training every other day. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Pool_Boy
    Pool_Boy Posts: 405 Member
    Yes, it's very frustrating.
  • clairesbubbe
    clairesbubbe Posts: 18 Member
    I only need to lose 8 more lbs. But I'm 73. I workout everyday, but don't do as much cardio as I should. Since covid 19, I have been mostly staying home. I need to eat under 1000 calories a day to lose.
  • tamitrux
    tamitrux Posts: 2 Member
    I guess maybe this is what I need to do now - under 1,000? ugh...so frustrating....
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Are you weighing and logging absolutely every item of food that you consume? We are notoriously bad at estimating our food intake. Here's a chart that may help:

zkt5eorsyk97.jpg
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    I was just awarded the MFP 6-year badge - and I’ve been losing and gaining the same 10 pounds the entire time - lol. I’m back with a vengeance now that we bought a treadmill for the house. I’m doing 30-minutes of cardio every day - and I’m looking to add in some resistance band workouts too. It’s sooooo frustrating!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    56 and no. It just has to be a priority. During SIP, I took it much more seriously than prior years and since March 16 when we started SIP, I'm down 28lbs as of now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    tamitrux wrote: »
    I guess maybe this is what I need to do now - under 1,000? ugh...so frustrating....

The minimum a sedentary female should be eating is 1200 calories a day. If you plan to eat less you need to be monitored by a doctor. Please ignore the advice of people who tell you that you need to eat 1,000 calories or less to lose weight.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    I am the same stuck but I refuse to give up.
  • jbug_77
    jbug_77 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2020
    okay, i normally do not post, but seeing the calorie counts, just please do not! I few years back i was eating 1200 and exercising like a mad person (over an hour a day) and not losing a thing.... my trainer had me go down to 1100 calories, then to 1000, with no results except bad ones on my mental health and physical exhaustion

A few years back, i went to a naturopath specializing in nutrition, she did some magic calcs and came up with:
    1500-1700 cals
    30 min cardio 5x per week
    weights 3x per week
    1 day of rest from working out

the lbs melted off, but not without the natural plateaus... I went from 190 to 150 in about 2 years

if i follow the formula she gave me, i can still lose weight
    FYI: I'm 43, 5'9" and fluxuate between 165 and 185, so always on the slightly chubby side.

PLEASE, if the option is available to you, consult a professional (and not just a trainer), to find out your specific needs and NEVER go below 1200 cals

https://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/fewer-calories-stalls-metabolism.aspx#:~:text=The most effective way to,get anything," says Lummus.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-many-calories-per-day#calorie-calculator
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    almost nobody needs to eat less than 1200 to lose weight.

But you do need to be really eating your correct number - not thinking you are eating 1200 but actually are eating more.

I did not start trying to lose weight until the year I turned 50. Lost it slowly, average of 1/2 lb per week but lost it as expected using MFP formula which set my calories at 1460.

OP what are your stats - we know you are female and 50 something - but height, current weight?

We can check if your calorie goal is appropriate - then if you also open your diary people could help trouble shoot any problems in logging.
  • midodd04
    midodd04 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2020
    I am a 58 year old male. Working with my doctor and nutritionist I was placed on a 2000 calorie diet with five days of 30 minute cardio. I am down 28 lbs since February 1st. I am now at 5'9" and 210 lbs and still losing about 1/2 pound a week. There was a good article today about resetting your weight after losing weight.

Better than the weight loss is that my blood work is much better now.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    ugh yes. i'm 50's and am struggling also with not keeping it off once i'm down a bit.
  • cdmartin100
    cdmartin100 Posts: 1 Member
    Have you read any articles about body types; ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph? there's a lot of information on this; questionnaires that will help you determine what you are to assist in building a work out routine that will result in weight loss. Myself; cardio is not something I spend a lot of time on now but resistance work outs or body building does help.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I am 56 year old female with hypothyroidism and have no problem losing weight on 1200 calories. Since March, I have lost 30 pounds. I suggest that you weigh all food and beverages in grams and ounces and do not use measuring cups as they only measure volume. You might also have your thyroid checked and hormones checked (if you are not menopausal). Also, if you are close to your goal weight, it is very important to measure accurately and to expect weight loss to be much slower.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Not really.

I joined MFP back in 2015 at age 59, lost around 50 pounds in just under a year, and have maintained a healthy weight since (now age 64). I did let my weight drift up a little (still in healthy range) over the last few years, so have been ultra-slowly losing a few vanity pounds since about last October, down around 9-10 pounds since then, and not trying for faster. I'm also hypothyroid, if that matters. (I don't think it does, once properly treated.)

How's your nutrition? Getting enough protein and fats? Veggies & fruits? Nutrition is secondary when it comes to weight loss (calories are the key thing, of course), but any physical stress lands harder on me as I age, so I think good well rounded nutrition is a plus for maintaining energy level, in ways both obvious and subtle. And energy level affects calorie expenditure, of course, especially daily life calories.

Warning: Cranky opinion on the way.

I feel like the blogosphere encourages people to over-focus on "good" foods vs. "bad" foods, and tangential issues like eating "clean"or in some particular trending mode that involves restricting various groups. Those things are fine, if they help a person with calorie compliance, or otherwise make a person happy/satisfied. But it shouldn't happen at the expense of getting enough protein, enough healthy fats, and plenty of varied/colorful veggies/fruits. Too many named diets can be carried out either with or without getting good nutrition, and over-focusing on the diet's rules helps people lose focus on nutrition in some cases.

End of rant!

I hope you're able to figure out what's going on for you. It should not be necessary to eat dramatically few calories.

Best wishes!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Have you read any articles about body types; ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph? there's a lot of information on this; questionnaires that will help you determine what you are to assist in building a work out routine that will result in weight loss. Myself; cardio is not something I spend a lot of time on now but resistance work outs or body building does help.

no need to read up about so called body types.

Just make sure your calorie level is appropriate and your logging is accurate

and see a real Dr if you think there could really be a medical issue.

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    I’m 52. 5’5”.
    When I was 23 I was 115lbs
    At 28 I had my first child. 6 months after she was born I was 125 lbs. after my 2nd and 3rd children I also returned to 125, but it took a little longer each time.
    At 35 I had by fourth child. 6 months after he was born I was 135lbs.
    I carried, (lost and gained) those extra 10 pounds for 15 years.
    2 years ago (when I turned 50), I started creeping up and in Jan 2019 was 145.
    Although I’ve had MFP for several years, 2019 was a turning point for me. I decided I was going to get to 125 again and stay there. It took 6 months. A year later I now feel like I’ve reset my set point from 135 to 125.
    I’ve been exercising for 3 years. Mostly strength training with some cardio. I do Beachbody programs. I feel better than I have in years.

In terms of your question: I believe you can do anything you put your mind to.
    Eating too few calories may be your problem.
    Don’t only listen to your trainer.
    Add more strength training. Resistance/weight training will add more muscle to your body. Whether you weigh less isn’t as important as how you feel. With more muscle you will feel more energetic. And, as a side benefit, you’ll look better.
    It may take longer to lose weight when you are over 50. But it can be done.
    It may also be more difficult to build muscle over 50. But it can be done.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I found it far easier to lose weight in my 50's than my 30's & 40's.

Mainly because I simply made up my mind to do it but also because the tools and calorie information are so much better and easier to access now.

If you want help rather than just to vent (which is fine) then would suggest making your diary public then people can assist to point out very common issues.

My hunch is that you are eating more than you believe, if you are in a true deficit you have to be using your energy stores to make up the shortfall and your age can't stop that. Your age may have some bearing on what constitutes your actual calorie needs but a lot of that age related difference is within your power to address.