Losing 100 lbs With Phit-N-Phat Podcast Discussion

Replies

• Honestly, I find once I get used to eating a certain way, eating too far away from that isn't pleasing or comfortable. I don't want a big bowl of ice cream any more. Most of the time I don't even want a small cup. I can't eat what a lot of people would consider a full meal any more. We went out for burgers the other day (we often do on shopping day) and I found that I have to limit my fluid intake at meals or I get full before I finish the food. So I can't have a refill on my iced tea. The other side of this is that I have to eat my meals and my snacks on time or I will feel terrible and get a headache, and so I have to prioritize that. I have to say, "Can we make it 12;30, so I can eat lunch first?" and "Sure, I just need to bring a snack along since we'll be out when I need to eat again." I have to advocate for myself and my boundaries. I don't care what everyone else is doing; I'm doing what I need to do to be healthy.
  • mmdeveau
    mmdeveau Posts: 107 Member
    @aliciap0116, I forgot to tell you about the coffee! For me, it's not creamy-looking, but I really don't prepare it the way she does. It's possible the frother emulsifies it way better than stirring, and she does add both the cacao butter and the MCT oil, while I do one or the other. If you're really going to miss the cream, I'd either add it to the recipe or skip it altogether. Or consider using regular cream. When I do have cream in my coffee, I use either coconut cream (non-dairy) or light cream (dairy).

Also at the buffet this weekend, my sister actually said, "I want to go back up there and get more food so I get my money's worth!" I told her she needed to stop thinking that way!

I'm so glad that you two (@aliciap0116 and @mmccloy12) are encouraging each other to work out.

I keep some notes on her podcasts as well, so many little things she says it's not really new information it's just how she says them. With respect to the weight loss process one of my analogies is to compare it to what I learned in nursing school when working in a mass casualty drill - just start where you stand because there's so many problems you just need to start knocking them out.

I always hated that I associated my being overweight with being a disaster.

I like the way Corinne puts it much better: You need to meet yourself where you are. Plus she has a more organized way for her groupies and her tribe to start their weight loss process.

By the way, I did come across one podcast where Corinne did advocate for weighing and measuring some foods. Specifically, it was with respect to portions of snack foods where it's easy to go overboard and you might need to learn the portion size. Her example was for nuts.
  • mmccloy12
    mmccloy12 Posts: 151 Member
    I am a "stress eater"...I keep saying it and I hear it from others....and then good ole Corrine pops in my head and tells me to stop thinking this way. Be uncomfortable with the moment and get through it. Tell myself I am not a stress eater or journal or something, just don't eat. Easier said then done. But I am aware and finding a way to get through the anxiety and fear I am feeling without food. I have stayed within calories for the most part. But I can tell I am overeating at times just because I get stressed.

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    Now that I have more time with my office shut I decided to look into this blog. I was just to busy before to add anymore to my schedule. But 1st I decided to download the course as an intro. I will probably just read past posts for now until I start to listen to the podcasts more.
  • mmccloy12 wrote: »
    I am a "stress eater"...I keep saying it and I hear it from others....and then good ole Corrine pops in my head and tells me to stop thinking this way. Be uncomfortable with the moment and get through it. Tell myself I am not a stress eater or journal or something, just don't eat. Easier said then done. But I am aware and finding a way to get through the anxiety and fear I am feeling without food. I have stayed within calories for the most part. But I can tell I am overeating at times just because I get stressed.

The first thing to do is be aware of when you're doing it. I mean, you can't decide not to eat if you are doing it automatically or when you're spaced out.

It is really hard to learn to sit with anxiety and fear and sadness when you are used to piling food on top of them at the first hint of emotion. But it is so very very rewarding to break through that, and I will assure you that the emotions are not nearly as big and overwhelming as they appear. You can handle them. You really can.
  • KeriA
    Here are my thoughts on @Aliciap01161's 3 starting questions. I am still reading past posts as I can.

1. The idea of exercise and making changes for the rest of your life. Maybe you are willing to walk 15 minutes a day now but later it will be 30 minutes 3 days a week. Or swimming an hour twice a week. I think the change is that you are committing to exercising for the rest of your life not what kind. Eventually I want to get to exercise 6 times a week. However I am not sure I can like you commit to that right away. I had to cut back to aquafit 3 times a week after doing exercise 6 times a week before I started back to work. Right now I can do more with my office closed and I would like to make a step to 4 days a week even when I get back to work. So the commitment maybe to do exercise as much as we can and at least x minutes or days a week.

2. I just started doing the 24 hour planning thing so I will have to see. With being home with the Pandemic thing I have planned dinners for 2 weeks+ and some breakfasts. We usually have the same breakfasts. I was interested to see that Corinne eats the same pancakes we do on weekends. They are semi healthy.

3. Counting calories is something I need to get a sense of what is my TDEE now and what is a reasonable deficit. I did her “course” but the link to her videos was broken. I will start listening to her podcast as I can and continue reading these posts.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    I had to search for the thread, so hopefully commenting now will boost it up the chain a bit!

I've taken the decision to try not using my tracker for a week or two and plan instead, so I actually signed up to the free course a few days ago. I am a little apprehensive in case I end up accidentally reducing my deficit but I need to learn to trust myself where I'm not preparing my food, and I don't think I've ever properly learnt to eat until I'm full AND STOP.

From listening to the podcasts and finding it really helpful, I realized that I'm good at losing weight but not so good at maintaining it, in part because of the hunger queues thing, but also because in my head, exercise and tracking everything are linked, so if you take away the tracking things (holiday/other people cooking/ eating out) then I pile on weight because I eat for fun and then don't exercise at the same time out of some discouraged/lazy/well it's *kitten* already mentality. I'm not going to try and break habit that by not exercising, so I'm trying to plan rather than track in the confidence that I CAN do it, trusting myself... and tbh it's scary as anything and I didn't realise how restricted I'd feel planning what I was eating ahead instead of working out the numbers as I go and waiting for the tracker to tell me to stop. There's less room to hide when I have the list of what I'm eating rather than making it up as I go and it's completely the opposite of what I was expecting for some reason.
    For the most part I eat pretty well and there's not a lot of room for making better choices in a way that I can control. If I accept my husband cooking then I can't reduce oil/ add in extra veg which is frustrating but I've concluded I'm not willing to eat on my own every day, or cook every meal myself, and actually I need to learn to rely on my hunger signals there instead of trying to control everything. But that does mean that logically, the calorie deficit and losing weight as I get closer to maintenance is more reliant on getting comfortable with the lack of control/ and hunger and I kind of wish I'd come across this 50lbs ago rather than when I've got less to lose because at the mo my coping strategy is relying on looking at the maths to say xxx - xxx will equal loss if I'm patient.
    Sorry for the essay, I needed to get this out my head and onto paper!
  • ckozl81
    ckozl81 Posts: 59 Member
    I just started Tracking in MFP again. I had stopped once I joined the PNP Tribe. I didn't find the Tribe helpful in my goals but she does offer a ton of stuff. Monday night I realized the most success I had came for me when I was tracking my data in here. I still use the principles that PnP teaches that are available on the podcast, 24 hour plan, water, 2-2 eating and journalling. Anyway I did a search for PNP and found this group. Please feel free to add me as a friend to help keep each other accountable. I will read through all the back post as time allows. I'm so happy to find this group.
  • KeriA
    ckozl81 wrote: »
    I just started Tracking in MFP again. I had stopped once I joined the PNP Tribe. I didn't find the Tribe helpful in my goals but she does offer a ton of stuff. Monday night I realized the most success I had came for me when I was tracking my data in here. I still use the principles that PnP teaches that are available on the podcast, 24 hour plan, water, 2-2 eating and journalling. Anyway I did a search for PNP and found this group. Please feel free to add me as a friend to help keep each other accountable. I will read through all the back post as time allows. I'm so happy to find this group.

Yes I feel like I need the info from tracking my intake and exercise too. I have really been concentrating on not eating unless I am hungry and stopping when satisfied. Her food planning fit into my need to and ability to plan my food at this time when I am avoiding the grocery store and have been home all the time. I started bullet journalling so I sort of use that. Since I never joined "the Tribe" I didn't have access to her journalling but admit I am intrigued. I like her emphasis on being kind to yourself and agree about working on our internal dialogue but I had to do that to survive a critical mother. She reads and passes on alot of gems from self help etc materials. like the SKS feedback idea (Stop, Keep, Start). I often listen while I am on my Gazelle.
  • mmccloy12
    mmccloy12 Posts: 151 Member
    @ckozl81 it's very interesting to hear you were part of the PNP tribe. I was thinking about joining in June if I get back to work by then. I am curious as to why you felt the tribe did not help you? Obviously it is a big investment. I find her podcasts so helpful but I am still in limbo over the hunger scale and not tracking calories. I know why I don't want to give them up and it's exactly what she says is bad about calorie counting. If you have calories left you tend to eat because of that even if you are not hungry. It will be really hard for me not to do that anymore, but I know that is what it will take for me to take my weight loss journey to the next level! Let me know your thoughts!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    I always eat if I am truly and properly hungry, personally, but I am fond of having the calorie count there as a check. Sometimes I have to tell my appetite "No, we've had enough calories to be okay. Settle down" and sometimes I do look at it and say, "Ah, well, the reason I'm hungry is I'm 300 calories short. Okay then, let's have something." But I'm set on 1350 a day, and that's about as much as I need at this point, so if I'm that far down, then I'd better fill in. I try to keep myself right around 50-100 calories below MFP's limit. That seems to work fine, but if I should go over by five calories, I don't sweat that either.

I can't trust my inner sense of what to eat. My inner sense likes calorie-dense foods and has no idea of a sensible portion. It may, by this time next year, have been reeducated on the portion control, but until then I shall weigh and measure and count calories, because that's how I have to eat now. And if I have to do this for the rest of my life, well, at least it's something that I can live with doing.
  • ckozl81
    @mmccloy12 It's a great course I would highly recommend it. I was able to get a lot of information out of the Tribe in the end I didn't commit to it like I should have. I got overwhelmed and my husband had gotten laid off so part of it was financial for me also. At the time I joined the fee was $49 a month after the initial $289 fee and I kind of wish I had stayed in but I also found a Running Coach out if it and she teaches the same concepts so I use her paid service and get almost the same content. Both were trained by the same coach. Jill Angie of Not Your Average Runner if you are curious. She also has a podcast of the same name. Anyway I was able to listen to most of the content as even the stuff already downloaded on my podcast app stayed until I had to reset my phone. I didn't get any new content but that was a nice bonus I didn't expect. I had previously downloaded your 24 hour planner so I still use that, I print the copies at Office Max and have them bind it so it's very functional for me. The greatest thing I got out of it is the Hunger Scale and doing a journal to plan my food and documenting any changes I made and why. The Hunger Scale can be found doing a google search. There are a lot of courses that she offers too that once in the tribe you will have access to use also. I know she is currently doing lots of mini courses during COVID shut downs. Ultimately because I have my running coaches training is why I'm not rejoining the tribe.
  • ckozl81
    I always eat if I am truly and properly hungry, personally, but I am fond of having the calorie count there as a check. Sometimes I have to tell my appetite "No, we've had enough calories to be okay. Settle down" and sometimes I do look at it and say, "Ah, well, the reason I'm hungry is I'm 300 calories short. Okay then, let's have something." But I'm set on 1350 a day, and that's about as much as I need at this point, so if I'm that far down, then I'd better fill in. I try to keep myself right around 50-100 calories below MFP's limit. That seems to work fine, but if I should go over by five calories, I don't sweat that either.

This is exactly why I needed to come back to tracking my calories. I don't get to hard core because I'm listening my my body's hunger cues but some days they are not in sync with my brain so I was over eating still. Now I use the calorie counting as my back up since I try to make better choices each week. I stopped weighing and measuring most things. Snacks, mostly the joy type of snacks, I still measure to keep that portion in control especially chips.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    ckozl81 wrote: »
    Snacks, mostly the joy type of snacks, I still measure to keep that portion in control especially chips.

There's a reason we go out of our way to buy the big boxes of Doritos in little one-ounce packets. All three of us are aware that our basic setting is "A full bag is the portion" and this keeps us safe.

• mmdeveau
    mmdeveau Posts: 107 Member
    Oh my gosh, I listened to everything. 😃

Now to go back and pick and choose. I think hearing their stories is pretty inspiring, so I'll start at the very first one.

@mmccloy12 - I definitely think that tracking here on MFP can be compatible with Corinne's philosophy, you just have to be mindful of how you work it. Here's how I'd do it:
    • Make my 24-hour plan by pre-logging what I want to eat for the day.
    • Record water intake as I drink throughout the day.
    • When I eat, I would put whatever I planned to have on my plate.
    • Eat until satisfied. If it's everything, then that's it.
    • If I leave food behind, deliberately or not, I go back to the pre-logged meal and adjust my portions. How specific you are in your adjustments is up to you. If you're not looking for strict accountability, I'd estimate how much I ate - 50%, 75%, whatever you think it might be. If you are also looking for the accountability, then you can weigh or measure whatever is left over, subtract that amount from the pre-logged planned amount, then adjust the pre-logged planned amount in MFP to what I actually ate.
    I've thought about this on a couple of occasions, but this is the first time I've laid out the process. The thing that's missing is the journaling aspects of Corinne's approach. The daily notes on the food diary page probably isn't going to accommodate the amount of journaling anyone following Corinne's plan would complete for real behavioral change.
  • ckozl81
    mmdeveau wrote: »
    The daily notes on the food diary page probably isn't going to accommodate the amount of journaling anyone following Corinne's plan would complete for real behavioral change.

It might not be what Corinne's plan has but it is a start and that it all it takes. I started with 1 sentence a day using James Clear's method from his book Atomic Habits.
  • avtlove
    avtlove Posts: 82 Member
    I realize this a bit of an old thread, but if anyone is still reading it... here's my two cents: I have listened to all of Corinne's podcasts. I really get a lot out of them and think she has great ideas and insight. However, she is a little bit misleading and when this hit me, I was pretty disappointed. I still listen to her but now with a little bit of a grain of salt and here's why:
    Very early on, she would tell her weight loss story and by now i've heard it many times because I've obsessively listened to all her podcasts. But it's changed a little and that little bit is in a very meaningful way, imo. She used to tell the story about how she got started and it always started with less ice cream and walking 15 minutes. But she also went to WW and counted calories. She doesn't teach counting calories and that's fine. The way she teaches to listen to your body and not eat for any reason except hunger is great, solid advice. But her story now doesn't include that SHE lost a bunch of her weight by tracking and or WW. I heard her tell her story again recently and she made it sound as if she lost it all by the methods she teaches now.
    Don't get me wrong, I really like her and her advice. I have tried to implement it in my life. But I don't like how she's now totally leaving out the fact that she was tracking calories to lose weight for most of her weight loss.
    It's a very important distinction to me because I am always searching for the RIGHT method that is going to be the best and most effective one for me. If it's her method which is pretty much intuitive eating, that's fine. If it's CICO, that's fine. I just want to know which one will serve me best and that's why I was a bit disappointed when I heard her tell her story last time and the CICO method she used was no where to be found.
  • KeriA
    @avtlove I think some of us still check this thread out. I knew that Corinne tried tracking calories and WW but I didn't know it was for the 100 lbs she lost and kept off. Obviously all of us on this thread are tracking our intake and exercise calories too. I am not too much of an emotional eater so some of her podcasts don't relate to me. Also I find that some of what she offers comes from self-help sources she likes to follow. So in a way she is offering up what has been helpful to her. I haven't gone through all of her podcasts but have taken her free introductory "course". Anyway lately I have found not eating if I wasn't hungry and stopping when satisfied being helpful. A few days lately I have been very hungry for dinner and when I eat what is on my plate wanting more. I have tried waiting to see if I am really hungry or not. Sometimes what I am eating is something that you just want more of and it is confusing so I have been having waiting and have an orange if I haven't had fruit that day and that seems to stop that feeling of wanting to just keep eating and not being satisfied. So I think sometimes we don't immediately get that feeling of being satisfied when we are. Sometimes it takes a while to feel it and other times some foods just make you want more like chips. However I also think that if you eat a bit more than you needed to your body adjusts by not feeling hungry as soon. I think I need to do CICO to help check the other and vice versa. I need to not eat just because I have calories available.

Frankly I do not believe in just CICO like most on MFP. I find that what I eat is as important to my weight loss than the calorie counting. I lose much better if I make healthy food at home. However I don't put foods I really want off of the list. I agree with Corinne that this is for the rest of your life and it needs to be sustainable. I also have things that I limit like sugar or treats. I have other things I just can't let into my house but sometimes I have been able to learn to limit them. I also found that Corinne's being firm that the base of all of this is getting enough water and sleep very helpful. I always tried but now I am being better at that. I lost about 20 lbs when I was younger by just eating when I was hungry and stopping when I was satisfied. When you get older and your metabolism slows it just isn't as easy. I think that for some CICO works. But for others there are other important factors. I guess that is why the journaling idea is intriguing to me because it is a way to figure things our when something isn't working.
  • KeriA
    mmdeveau wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, I listened to everything. 😃

Now to go back and pick and choose. I think hearing their stories is pretty inspiring, so I'll start at the very first one.

@mmccloy12 - I definitely think that tracking here on MFP can be compatible with Corinne's philosophy, you just have to be mindful of how you work it. Here's how I'd do it:
    • Make my 24-hour plan by pre-logging what I want to eat for the day.
    • Record water intake as I drink throughout the day.
    • When I eat, I would put whatever I planned to have on my plate.
    • Eat until satisfied. If it's everything, then that's it.
    • If I leave food behind, deliberately or not, I go back to the pre-logged meal and adjust my portions. How specific you are in your adjustments is up to you. If you're not looking for strict accountability, I'd estimate how much I ate - 50%, 75%, whatever you think it might be. If you are also looking for the accountability, then you can weigh or measure whatever is left over, subtract that amount from the pre-logged planned amount, then adjust the pre-logged planned amount in MFP to what I actually ate.
    I've thought about this on a couple of occasions, but this is the first time I've laid out the process. The thing that's missing is the journaling aspects of Corinne's approach. The daily notes on the food diary page probably isn't going to accommodate the amount of journaling anyone following Corinne's plan would complete for real behavioral change.

I realize that I have started doing this too especially this week even before reading this post. I just kept going when I entered my breakfast and filled in the whole days plan. I plan our dinners out and lunches are either leftovers available or a few other options so it is easy. However I haven't used the notes. I think I will start doing that as needed. I also use OneNote for Bullet journaling so I plan my weeks food there. I haven't really figured out what Corinne's system for food journaling is except for that 24 hour assessment that comes with her free workbook. I found I didn't need to use it that much. I was trying to answer questions that weren't helpful for me and not answering the ones that were important and it was a waste of time. However filling out my food diary in the morning is working.

I think what I need to journal is when I am not losing and evaluating what I was doing when I was losing and what is different or not different now. Or journaling on a specific issue like late night snacking or how to control eating things that I have a hard time stopping when I have had a reasonable amount. Or evaluating about options for exercise etc.
  • orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,159 Member
    I finally got around to listening to these podcasts and wondered if anyone was interested in reviving this discussion thread?