Would you consider liposuction for those pockets of fat that don't vanish?

2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited June 2020
    I'd love to get my lower stomach fixed.. there's a big pocket of fat that does NOT go away even if I hit bordeline underweight for my height (been there, done that), tho I suspect it's mostly loose skin vs just plain fat. It legit hurts when I work out unless I wear super tight clothes and I've had my skin/the fold under my stomach get painfully inflamed in summer even with super regular showers - it costs too much tho, skin removal is considered cosmetic

Have you discussed it with a doctor? I've known of folks who got insurance coverage if the loose skin was causing physical problems, like fungal or bacterial infections. Don't know where you are, either - whether it's private insurance rules that are the barrier, or public health service.

EtA: Here, the rules seem to be analogous to breast reduction. With that, if breast size is documented to be causing (for example) back problems, some insurance companies will cover. Not an easy documentation process, though - patience and persistence, in the cases I know where someone succeeded.
  • bsteves06
    bsteves06 Posts: 66 Member
    What about coolsculpting?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    bsteves06 wrote: »
    What about coolsculpting?

Doesn't seem to exist, at least not for slightly bigger accumulations. Maybe it's effective for a tiny bit of fat on the jawline, but doesn't seem to help for me.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'd love to get my lower stomach fixed.. there's a big pocket of fat that does NOT go away even if I hit bordeline underweight for my height (been there, done that), tho I suspect it's mostly loose skin vs just plain fat. It legit hurts when I work out unless I wear super tight clothes and I've had my skin/the fold under my stomach get painfully inflamed in summer even with super regular showers - it costs too much tho, skin removal is considered cosmetic

Have you discussed it with a doctor? I've known of folks who got insurance coverage if the loose skin was causing physical problems, like fungal or bacterial infections. Don't know where you are, either - whether it's private insurance rules that are the barrier, or public health service.

EtA: Here, the rules seem to be analogous to breast reduction. With that, if breast size is documented to be causing (for example) back problems, some insurance companies will cover. Not an easy documentation process, though - patience and persistence, in the cases I know where someone succeeded.

Guidelines for insurance tend to build off some of the same guidelines - I think they maybe based on the WHO ICD. There's panectomy for abdominal flaps of a certain length - reaching the pubic bone area - and having issues with skin infections that don't go away.

Panectomy is pretty much the only skin removal that seems to have guidelines that I've seen.
    I had two different insurance carriers between consult and removal. Neither one went anywhere with coverage for any of mine - I had issues with chafing and pain when sitting because of how much loose skin I had in the glutes: I had a period where I could literally have to start shifting sides while driving my car for more than 10 minutes. No dice at all - they just kept sending back guidelines for when panectomy is covered and saying I didn't meet the requirements.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member

I had it also............................got it from barbell squatting believe it or not. I had it removed once, but the general surgeon didn't get it all and it returned. But the 2nd time I was sent to a cancer clinic for removal. There's a small scar but it hasn't returned.................and I still barbell squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

As someone that had a huge Lipoma grow on their back and had to have it taken off by a plastic surgeon, heck no. Not much fun at all. And two years after that huge one was taken off, I had another grow up near my neck, just below the shirt line. Not that noticable until I take my shirt off. It's around two inches in diameter and protrudes around an inch off my back. I've had that one for nearly 10 years. It's grown a bit lately and starting to get uncomfortable, but it's also near my spine, so I'm not in any hurry to take that one off.

I'm not a fan of elective surgeries for vanity and I have a very good reason to have a vanity surgery and I'm not doing it.

• noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    I have had plastic surgery for reconstruction of one breast. It was due to a birth defect I was born with call Pollands Symdrome. It did not affect my functioning so really a cosmetic procedure that was done to make me feel like a 'normal' woman. I have had the operation twice, once at 15 and once at 30 yrs old.

My advice to plastic surgery (however, it was a different procedure)

- If want you want to change something that is affecting your quality of life either mentally or physically then getting surgery is an acceptable option. However, it carries some risk so it needs to be weighed up which is more acceptable to you; the pain (mental or physical) from what you consider to be your 'imperfection' day-to-day or the cost, short-term pain and potential complications of surgery. Personally, unless my quality of life is seriously impacted by whatever I want to change it would not be worth it.
    - To a certain degree you get what you pay for. Do not go for a cheap option that seems too good to be true. Think of it as a price per wear and you are wearing your body every day for the rest of your life so worth saving to get the very best.
    - Go see more than one surgeon for a consultation before deciding which surgeon you want to use. First consultations are usually free or for a small fee. It is really worth finding out what they are about before trusting your life with them.
    - Plastic surgery is painful and the recovery can take some time.
    - It will take you time and work to come to accept your new body. It will feel fake and potentially alien to you for a while.

Hope that helps