WendyBurbs
WendyBurbs Posts: 4 Member
Hi All! I just joined this group because I’ve done low carb before and I wanted to see if I kick it up to keto if I get better weight loss results. I’m also curious if I can eat more food on a keto diet or feel more full than I do when I’m just doing low carb or calorie counting.
I have 14 pounds to lose and I want to commit and go all in until I hit my goal.

I bought a keto mojo meter and I’m steadily at .5mm this week, which I know is nothing- and keeping my carbs low but my protein is still pretty high. I’ve noticed when I drop protein I don’t feel as full and I’m wondering if anyone else had that experience initially when you started keto. Does it change? Get better? TIA!

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    The trick is the fats, proteins and very low carbs. It's the fats that keep you feeling full along with the protein. Have you checked out what your marcos should be for your weight and what you want to loose?
    I don't know much about meters but as far as I am aware it doesn't matter much how much over 0.5 you are you are still in ketosis, if you watch the carbs like a hawk! It's the combination of low carb, high protein and fat that counts.
    Be aware that when you are fat adapted that you should drop down the fats a bit so that your body uses your own fat to run on which helps with weight loss. Good luck
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    WendyBurbs wrote: »
    Hi All! I just joined this group because I’ve done low carb before and I wanted to see if I kick it up to keto if I get better weight loss results. I’m also curious if I can eat more food on a keto diet or feel more full than I do when I’m just doing low carb or calorie counting.
    I have 14 pounds to lose and I want to commit and go all in until I hit my goal.

I bought a keto mojo meter and I’m steadily at .5mm this week, which I know is nothing- and keeping my carbs low but my protein is still pretty high. I’ve noticed when I drop protein I don’t feel as full and I’m wondering if anyone else had that experience initially when you started keto. Does it change? Get better? TIA!

How high is your protein? I can tell you most people don't overeat protein. And more protein is generally recommended while you are losing weight.

Can you eat more calories? I would depend on how many you were eating and how aggressive your weight loss was. You can't just eat more because you are keto. Its possible you will feel more satiated though.

• vivmiller08
    vivmiller08 Posts: 37 Member
    Interested in understanding when I might be 'fat adapted'. Not heard that before.

Protein = eggs, eggs and more eggs for me Also, I eat my bodyweight in mushrooms each week 🤣. Great filler-upper and luckily, I love them.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Interested in understanding when I might be 'fat adapted'. Not heard that before.

Protein = eggs, eggs and more eggs for me Also, I eat my bodyweight in mushrooms each week 🤣. Great filler-upper and luckily, I love them.

Being fat-adapted is basically when your metabolic machinery has completely adapted to burning ketones. Some people don't really notice a difference, but some report that keeping the diet becomes effortless, no cravings ever, energy is good, and etc. It's like hitting your stride. Usually about 4-6 weeks? IIRC. At that point some folk also stop turning keto stix purple b/c their ketone use becomes so efficient they aren't spilling any.