Help new to LC

Mandy72CM
Mandy72CM Posts: 59 Member
I have 14lbs to lose so how do I know how many carbs to eat? I’ve never tried LC before but I have a very sweet tooth and I think I may struggle in particular with breakfast.

Replies

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    You may want to read through some of this thread to get an idea of various low carb plans. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10628361/is-there-a-matrix-with-all-the-low-carb-diets#latest

My target is 20 g of carbs/day, but the reality is more like 30g. My breakfast is usually eggs. Sometimes greek yogurt (plain, but then I sometimes add sugar free flavorings). You can find recipes for keto breads, but even though they're low carb, they're not no carb, so you have to use caution. www.buttertogetherkitchen.com is one resource for recipes.

Just curious as to why you've already chosen low carb when you don't know the details, or know if it is a good fit for you? No offense intended, just curious. I did research before choosing this path, but I also had health concerns to deal with. That research led me to low carb/keto.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    @Mandy72CM You might want to check out our Launch Pad (our resource library).
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Particularly to address your questions starting out you might want to look at the Low Carb Overview in our FAQs http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348406/faqs-and-general-lc-info?new=1 to help you pick your carb level. You can surf our Open Threads which are selected discussions on often requested topics.

And then if you have particular questions, you can ask us. :smile:
  • Mandy72CM
    Mandy72CM Posts: 59 Member
    chelny wrote: »
    You may want to read through some of this thread to get an idea of various low carb plans. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10628361/is-there-a-matrix-with-all-the-low-carb-diets#latest

My target is 20 g of carbs/day, but the reality is more like 30g. My breakfast is usually eggs. Sometimes greek yogurt (plain, but then I sometimes add sugar free flavorings). You can find recipes for keto breads, but even though they're low carb, they're not no carb, so you have to use caution. www.buttertogetherkitchen.com is one resource for recipes.

Just curious as to why you've already chosen low carb when you don't know the details, or know if it is a good fit for you? No offense intended, just curious. I did research before choosing this path, but I also had health concerns to deal with. That research led me to low carb/keto.
    Because I spend too many calories on useless snacks rather than eating properly.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Mandy72CM wrote: »
    chelny wrote: »

Because I spend too many calories on useless snacks rather than eating properly.

That's a really good reason to give it a try, because LCHF can really help keeping the snack monster at bay. :smile:

Check out the Launch Pad if you haven't already. There's a lot of good info there.

For the 30 second crash course:
    • Avoid sugar from all sources (including fruit) and non-sugar sweeteners (especially in the beginning; you can branch out once you break habits)
    • Avoid starchy foods (potatoes, grains, etc)
    • Don't be afraid of meat and the fat on meat -- and don't be afraid to eat closer to 2-3 servings in a meal (dropping sugars and starches means you drop a lot of calories and fuel; you still need fuel from somewhere, and the non-starchy vegetables aren't going to make that up)
    • Load up on non-starchy vegetables (here's a good quick salad recipe)
    • If you have family members, consider what I like to call "LEGO meals" - most items are cooked individually, so people fit together what works for them, and you don't have to cook separate meals for everyone
    • You don't have to go out of your way to add fat, but don't be afraid of them, either, though try to limit seed and vegetable oils (they're high in Omega-6, which can cause problems if consumed in excess) -- avocado, butter, tallow, and coconut are your best friends on this front
    • Don't try to do substitutes too much. They keep you in the cravings rut and they're frequently disappointing, because they're not going to match the old stuff. Embrace low-carb cuisine for its own sake.
    • Keep your electrolytes up. A good salty broth is your friend. There's also keto electrolyte drink recipes in the Launch Pad. Don't be afraid to salt things, especially in the beginning. So-called "keto flu" is actually electrolyte imbalance. It might also be a good idea to pick up some electrolyte supplement pills if you're active outside and it's summer where you are right now.

That's about it!

One big thing to note: because you only have 14lb you want to lose, very likely one of two things will happen in the first couple of weeks:

1. You "lose" all of that weight and reach your goal weight. In this case, it's nearly all water weight, and is common especially if you're switching from a high carb diet. Do not switch back to your old diet at this point. If you do, you'll gain that weight right back, because it's not fat weight. Adjust your goal down 10-14lb from there to actually lose the fat you want (or, alternatively, consider other goals, such as clothing sizes or physical ability).

2. You don't lose any weight at first (or in rare cases, actually gain a little weight). Don't freak out. There's a lot going on internally when you make a big adjustment like this (literally, the body has to ramp up the "equipment" it uses to burn fat as the primary fuel source, and that takes resources). Stay the course for a month. Track your intake if you can (don't worry so much about restricting your calories at first; it's a good idea to just eat to satiety and see where you naturally fall, then adjust from there), then re-evaluate after that and make adjustments.