5000 calories a week on wine!

Replies

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    [/quote] Cutting down on calories isn't just about getting thinner, it's about getting healthier too. The wine is problematic because of the calories, but it's also problematic for many other reasons. I really hope you listen to one of the people on this thread urging you to see a doctor, but I'm not sure you're ready yet.[/quote]

Words to live by - thank you!! And thanks for sharing your story.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    Mandy72CM wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone’s concern but I have stopped drinking in the past or cut down without any withdrawal symptoms as I don’t have a dependency. So going back to my original post about how many calories I’m drinking is shocking and because of that I will be drinking a lot less and to start me off I’m going to do the 30 day experiment.

That’s excellent. Can you let us know how you get on. I feel this thread maybe helpful for others in similar position. I managed to cut right back from a similar level as you. I didn’t have withdrawal symptoms. But it was hard as wine was relaxation for me.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I appreciate everyone’s concern but I have stopped drinking in the past or cut down without any withdrawal symptoms as I don’t have a dependency. So going back to my original post about how many calories I’m drinking is shocking and because of that I will be drinking a lot less and to start me off I’m going to do the 30 day experiment.

Sounds like a good plan. In case you missed it in all the concern about your health, see my comment above re non-alcoholic wine and the calorie comparison for the two. Opening a wine-like bottle and pouring it in to a wine-like glass is part of the pleasure. You just may need to try a few different ones, to find one you like.
  • Mandy72CM
    Mandy72CM Posts: 59 Member

Sounds like a good plan. In case you missed it in all the concern about your health, see my comment above re non-alcoholic wine and the calorie comparison for the two. Opening a wine-like bottle and pouring it in to a wine-like glass is part of the pleasure. You just may need to try a few different ones, to find one you like.
    Thanks I rather just leave it, saves money and gets me out the habit of sipping all night.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Can I also add that god forbid anyone asking about losing weight. Would you tell them to see a doctor if they were eating too much? Would you ask them to seek help if they were many stones/pounds overweight? Would you tell them they have an addictive person personality ? No you wouldn’t! But because Iv mentioned wine it gives you the right? I wish I said I ate 5000 calories of doughnuts as I would hav probably had more support!

I've personally seen at least a few hundred people told to go talk to a doctor for disordered eating habits on MFP. Far more people than were told to go talk to a doctor for drinking alcohol. Addictive behavior, no matter what the addiction or overindulgence, is sometimes at a level in which bringing in a professional is advantageous.

Eating 5,000 calories per week of donuts, wine, or any other unhealthy, non-nutritious substance is definitely in the ballpark for discussion with a medical professional of some sort. That's 74 pounds per year gained on empty calories, totally putting aside the alcohol issue. That is "intervention" level. Those who have given you that advice in this thread have had your best interests in mind.

you can lead a horse to water bubba...... :#
  • Mandy72CM
    Mandy72CM Posts: 59 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Can I also add that god forbid anyone asking about losing weight. Would you tell them to see a doctor if they were eating too much? Would you ask them to seek help if they were many stones/pounds overweight? Would you tell them they have an addictive person personality ? No you wouldn’t! But because Iv mentioned wine it gives you the right? I wish I said I ate 5000 calories of doughnuts as I would hav probably had more support!

I've personally seen at least a few hundred people told to go talk to a doctor for disordered eating habits on MFP. Far more people than were told to go talk to a doctor for drinking alcohol. Addictive behavior, no matter what the addiction or overindulgence, is sometimes at a level in which bringing in a professional is advantageous.

Eating 5,000 calories per week of donuts, wine, or any other unhealthy, non-nutritious substance is definitely in the ballpark for discussion with a medical professional of some sort. That's 74 pounds per year gained on empty calories, totally putting aside the alcohol issue. That is "intervention" level. Those who have given you that advice in this thread have had your best interests in mind.

you can lead a horse to water bubba...... :#
    so if I was going to gain all that weight every year why am I 125 pounds? If I reduced that by 74?pounds I’d be the size of a child! I want to lose 14lbs not 78! Iv been drinkin this way for a long time and I’m at my heaviest now so I don’t think your maths work out in reality! When people say they have had a 5000 blow out a week you don’t tell them to see a doctor do you? Really?