Dog Topic-help please?

ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
One of my dogs suffers from allergies. She's had blood tests run years ago and I have a list of food and environmental allergens; she's been on injections since then. I started using one of the recommended brands of foods and she's been better up until the past 6-8 months. Since then, it's been one flare-up after another. :( She can be downright miserable sometimes. She's had hives around her neck, red infected patches under her armpits, very pink belly. Now she's fighting infection around her mouth area, being treated with an antibiotic.

I've looked into raw food diets(scary and skeptic), given her oatmeal baths, and am thinking of buying anti itch chewies through amazon(such mixed reviews), but I'm not sure where to turn to help her. I brought her to the vet last week and all the vet did was prescribe another antibiotic. (It's challenging when you can't go in to speak with the dr.). I even gave the tech a list of questions I had and when the dr. came out with my dog, we addressed a couple things and that was it. :/ I asked her about retesting and she said yeh, we can do that; I asked about switching foods, yep, we can do that, etc. But nothing definite was agreed to. She has a small cyst(that's what the vet said it looked like) on her back that she also looked at and said the antibiotic should help that too. Well, since last week I think it's actually gotten bigger. :( Oh and I'm getting antiseptic doggy wipes to use around her mouth, in the mail.

Any insight as to what to do next? Sometimes it's manageable but seems to just hop from one hot spot to another, causing bigger flare-ups than she used to have. :(

Since it's been increasingly ongoing from 6+ months ago, I looked back to see what changes we went through at the time. Only 2 I could think of: the allergy-meds. company was sold to another company and I started a new round of injections about that time. Plus we got new flooring and a new couch last fall. One last thought was I also went from grain-free to grain food(advised by the vet), then switched back to her previous grain-free food when her hives issue began, thinking that was it. But her issues never went away, only switched spots. :(

So...if anyone has gotten this far, THANK YOU. Any advice? :blush:

Replies

• upermohawk
    upermohawk Posts: 6 Member
    Hi, not sure what to do to rectify the allergies, but have you tried Benadryl to maybe give her some relief? My little brother is a toy poodle and when he gets really bad sometimes and that's what we give him. Pill or liquid form whichever is easiest to give her the children kind is best you don't want to overdose her. Good luck.
  • ReenieHJ
    upermohawk wrote: »
    Hi, not sure what to do to rectify the allergies, but have you tried Benadryl to maybe give her some relief? My little brother is a toy poodle and when he gets really bad sometimes and that's what we give him. Pill or liquid form whichever is easiest to give her the children kind is best you don't want to overdose her. Good luck.

I have used Benadryl and still have some in stock. I'm just trying to give her less and try to figure out what else I can do for her comfort and/or magically make those allergies disappear. :(
    Thank you for your reply!
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited June 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I have used Benadryl and still have some in stock. I'm just trying to give her less and try to figure out what else I can do for her comfort and/or magically make those allergies disappear. :(

What advice did you receive from her Vet? I'd follow that, and ask what diet or other supplements might help, or follow up with another Vet if you feel like this one isn't giving you enough information.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    My dog was allergy ridden until I switched to prey model raw. Absolutely no regrets. Of course it depends what they’re allergic to but if it’s preservatives or additives etc then I can’t recommend anything better. Just takes a bit of time and proper measurements. My dog is so much happier and healthier on PMR imho.
  • ReenieHJ
    harper16 wrote: »

What advice did you receive from her Vet? I'd follow that, and ask what diet or other supplements might help, or follow up with another Vet if you feel like this one isn't giving you enough information.

They simply say it's allergy related and always treat her with some kind of antihistamine, or anti-itch med or an antibiotic. Last time they gave her an antibiotic and Apoquel. This time it's just an antibiotic.

I guess I feel, since she's getting allergy injections, she should be getting better or at least tolerate it as well as she used to, instead of getting worse. :( Must be because she's aging? She's had them for 4 years and she's about 8 now.

@hanibanani I've never heard of prey model raw; will have to look it up. That's what I'm looking for is a product that someone I've heard has had good luck with it. I never know what to believe just searching and a lot of it is simply ads trying to sell you their product. :/ Thanks all!!
  • Hanibanani2020
    Prey model raw is great. I create my own mixtures but you can use pre made products as well I just find them a bit more pricey
  • JustCallMeWhatever
    JustCallMeWhatever Posts: 125 Member
    Have you tried changing the meat on the dog food? I found out mine is allergic to chicken. So all mine eats now is salmon grain free dog food.
  • ReenieHJ
    edited June 2020
    Prey model raw is great. I create my own mixtures but you can use pre made products as well I just find them a bit more pricey

I quickly checked that out, tried getting on their forums but it kept kicking me out telling me I wasn't using the right security code. Anyways, I have a couple questions regarding that type of diet.

1) can you actually give them chicken bones?? I saw some recipes called for quarters, etc, bones and all? Thought that was a big no-no? I thought bones were not considered safe anymore. (why have things changed so much from when we had dogs as kids; they were brought up on table scraps and bones from the butcher)
    2) I assume you can slowly transition the dogs as you would with any other type of foods but do most dogs adapt well with the raw meat formula? Mine seem to have sensitive stomachs as well. :(
    3) Do you add supplements/vitamins and minerals to their foods?
    4) I also thought veggies/fruits were fine to give them, as well? But the raw food diet discourages those.

I'm sure I'll have more ??? but I've only had 1/2 of my coffee so can't think yet. Thanks for your patient replies. :) I think I'll call the vets soon and ask about raw food diets. I just want to learn more first so I know the questions to ask and know what I'm getting myself into. :)
  • Hanibanani2020

I quickly checked that out, tried getting on their forums but it kept kicking me out telling me I wasn't using the right security code. Anyways, I have a couple questions regarding that type of diet.

1) can you actually give them chicken bones?? I saw some recipes called for quarters, etc, bones and all? Thought that was a big no-no? I thought bones were not considered safe anymore. (why have things changed so much from when we had dogs as kids; they were brought up on table scraps and bones from the butcher)
    2) I assume you can slowly transition the dogs as you would with any other type of foods but do most dogs adapt well with the raw meat formula? Mine seem to have sensitive stomachs as well. :(
    3) Do you add supplements/vitamins and minerals to their foods?
    4) I also thought veggies/fruits were fine to give them, as well? But the raw food diet discourages those.

I'm sure I'll have more ??? but I've only had 1/2 of my coffee so can't think yet. Thanks for your patient replies. :) I think I'll call the vets soon and ask about raw food diets. I just want to learn more first so I know the questions to ask and know what I'm getting myself into. :)

Only cooked bones or mechanically cut sharp bones are dangerous. Raw bones are a great source of calcium and digest easily. Cooked bones don’t digest.

Transition slowly over weeks using one protein at a time gradually increasing organs, fat and bones. So by 3 months you should be feeding mixed protein and proper percentages of muscle meat, offal, bone and fat.

So pretty model raw is different from BARF raw diet as all the nutrients are fed in the raw diet itself. Fruits and veggies can be fed but they are not needed in this diet. If you want to feed fruits and veggies check out BARF.

If transitioned properly and not fed anything your dog is intolerant or allergic to you shouldn’t find it upsets their system as their system is literally designed to eat raw meat and bone.

I also highly recommend getting a proper allergy panel done so you know exactly what your dog is allergic to.

I wish you the best of luck. Allergies are so frustrating.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Oops o accidentally somehow quoted myself and can’t fix it. The bottom quote is my answer.
  • ReenieHJ
    Oops o accidentally somehow quoted myself and can’t fix it. The bottom quote is my answer.

Thank you! :)

I had an allergy panel done a few years ago and it came back that she's allergic to dairy, brown rice, and corn as well as several that she's borderline with such as potatoes, peanuts, beets. And there's a whole list of environmental allergens too, most of which I've no clue what they are, except mold and goldenrod.

Again, thanks so much!
  • JustCallMeWhatever

I had an allergy panel done a few years ago and it came back that she's allergic to dairy, brown rice, and corn as well as several that she's borderline with such as potatoes, peanuts, beets. And there's a whole list of environmental allergens too, most of which I've no clue what they are, except mold and goldenrod.

Again, thanks so much!

Just cook her food.
  • Hanibanani2020

Again, thanks so much!

Just cook her food.

Studies have shows that cooking food removes a good part of the nutrients. And cooked bones are deadly
  • JustCallMeWhatever

Again, thanks so much!

Just cook her food.

Studies have shows that cooking food removes a good part of the nutrients. And cooked bones are deadly

On the bones
  • Hanibanani2020

Again, thanks so much!

Just cook her food.

On the bones

Read a few google scholar papers on raw feeding versus cooked feeding. It’s really interesting.
  • Hanibanani2020

Again, thanks so much!

Have you looked into cytopoint injections? It’s a one-off/annual allergy injection. Extremely effective apparently.
  • JustCallMeWhatever

Again, thanks so much!

Just cook her food.

On the bones

Read a few google scholar papers on raw feeding versus cooked feeding. It’s really interesting.

Oh wow I just Googled raw vs cook took a quick glance and there's whole debate about it.
  • Hanibanani2020

Again, thanks so much!

Just cook her food.

On the bones

Oh wow I just Googled raw vs cook took a quick glance and there's whole debate about it.

Yeah it’s really interesting.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    I am not qualified to give medical advice

- but people feeding grain free diets to dogs, please research the current info suggesting there may be a co-relation to grain free diets and heart disease in dogs, and ask your veterinary staff about it.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    @ReenieHJ

Ask your vet about cytopoint for your dog. I'm not qualified to say if it is appropriate in your dogs case.

If it is, I've seen good success for a lot allergy symptoms - and is a 1-2 month treatment with one injection, depends on the individual dog.