Homemade Stir-fry sauce recipes?

Borgus17
Borgus17 Posts: 2 Member
Hey all, I've been making stir-frys for a while now but I've always used store bought stir fry sauces which are often high in sodium and sugar. But I always allow for that in my diet intake. Does anyone have their own recipe?

Replies

• Borgus17
    Borgus17 Posts: 2 Member
    A great combo: 1/4 cup Low sodium soy sauce, 1-2 tbsp rice wine vinegar, 1 tbsp of honey or brown sugar, 1-2 tsp of sriracha, 1 tsp sesame oil, a bit of grated garlic and ginger, and a pinch of red pepper flakes!

Is that for a single serving or more?
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    ^That looks like it's enough for 3-4 servings, depending on how much you actually eat.

My go-to stir fry sauce is this:
    1 tbsp sugar (or honey or brown sugar or anything sweet)
    1 tbsp oyster sauce (or hoisin or fermented bean sauce)
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp cornstarch, optional, adjust as needed
    1/4 cup broth

This is pretty flexible. Add 1 tbsp vinegar or citrus juice if you want some acidity. Add more or less sugar depending on how sweet you want it. Add more or less soy sauce, depending on how salty you want it. You can use water instead of broth. You can use whatever broth/stock you want - chicken, beef, veggie, etc. The oyster sauce can be substituted for any of the Chinese mother sauces or omitted entirely.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Borgus17 wrote: »
    A great combo: 1/4 cup Low sodium soy sauce, 1-2 tbsp rice wine vinegar, 1 tbsp of honey or brown sugar, 1-2 tsp of sriracha, 1 tsp sesame oil, a bit of grated garlic and ginger, and a pinch of red pepper flakes!

Is that for a single serving or more?

Normally for about a 4-6 serving batch!
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Mfp had a peanut sauce I've been using..ok almost always..in a stir fry. It's under the dinner tab I think for peanut chicken.
  • sarahkatzenelson452
    sarahkatzenelson452 Posts: 37 Member
    For a 5 people wok I add sliced garlic and ginger after all veggies are in, then add a dash of sesame oil, larger dash of soy sauce , about half a cup of vinegar and either a Tb honey or half a cup of mirin. Normally the last veggies I add are some form of green leaves and they have enough water on their leaves from being washed that I dont add water or stock.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I don't really have a recipe because I just mix stuff together until it tastes good. I mix soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, corn starch and red pepper flakes. These are roughly the amounts that i use.

1/2 cup Soy Sauce
    1 Tbsp. Fish Sauce
    1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
    1/4 cup Sugar
    1 Tbsp. Chopped Garlic
    2 Tbsp. Corn Starch
    1/2 Tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes
    Add water if needed
  • bikerjane
    bikerjane Posts: 1 Member
    This one is like sweet and sour but with some heat. Serves 3.

2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 rounded teaspoon cornflour mixed with a little water

Mix everything together and add to the pan when veg / meat cooked and bubble till thickened and glossy.