Foods that are ripoffs

Replies

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Potato chips. I can eat a 140g packet in 15 minutes. That's half of my daily intake. It's just not worth it.
  • cgcdavis7
    cgcdavis7 Posts: 85 Member
    edited June 2020
    I had a salad that was a total rip off. I don't understand how it could have even been 250 cals but I guess feta and croutons were the culprit. Plus the dressing which is a staple for the salad, an additional 140 cals. Not filling in the least.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    While not a food, sodas are a total rip off. One 32oz drink can run close to 400 calories! So not worth it...
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    cgcdavis7 wrote: »
    I had a salad that was a total rip off. I don't understand how it could have even been 250 cals but I guess feta and croutons were the culprit. Plus the dressing which is a staple for the salad, an additional 140 cals. Not filling in the least.

Bad salads are the worst. And yes, feta and croutons are very much a salad culprit.

For me, maybe the worst rip off that I still eat with some regularity is french fries.
  • holly8312
    holly8312 Posts: 38 Member
    Oh, you have to be careful with sausages. My butcher does some amazing pork sausages for 180 calories each - I have to 'ration' them in pasta, or eat as a 'hot dog' with mustard and a small roll, without any sides.

I'm currently exploring veggie alternatives, as you can often get more bang for your buck. I've just bought some vegan sausages which are 79 calories each - haven't tried them yet, but am hopeful they will be nice.

I wouldn't say mayo is a waste of calories, but full fat mayo is. Light mayo is such an easy swap. Better yet is mustard or ketchup, depending on the food.

If you're in the UK, the Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages are really good. They don't taste like the real thing, but much lower in calories and really tasty.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Caloried drinks in general - with the exception of tea and coffee with just a bit of Oat milk.

I occasionally have alcohol but it's often not worth it.

Crap bread. Like nice bread is worth it but that cheap nasty bread that's a bit plastic no thank you.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    fruit juices and some full fat dairy products (my family says they prefer it but 1) I don't think it tastes any better and 2) it tends to upset my stomach... + it's like 2x the calories of the low fat stuff)
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Flavoured yoghurts and granola.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    for me, it's nuts, beans, bananas, grapes, cheese, cooking oils, or other high fat items. Fats do not satiate me well at all, so the calories for them just don't stretch far enough to make it worth my while. I also limit calories gained from drinks. I take cheese and condiments off my sandwiches and salads - I found that I can quite enjoy a grilled chicken sandwich without it, and I don't typically taste the cheese much in a salad anyway.

Donuts aren't worth it anymore to me, either. And I agree on the ready made meals.

I can get pretty far with 1/4 serving of peanut butter if I put it on toast, though, and prunes surprisingly hold me decently too. Pasta and rice are worth it once in a while; 1 serving of spaghetti, especially whole wheat spaghetti holds me pretty well, so is worth it to me on occasion.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    I switched over the fiber gourmet pasta. Half the calories of regular pasta and way more fiber!
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Cous cous, pasta. I typically have no more than 60g, I don't enjoy them enough, but I know I need some carbs!

Ice cream. I'd rather eat a bar of cadburys.

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Alcohol, oil. Not saying I never use either but I generally prefer to spend my calories elsewhere.
    alcohol-free beer can be pretty low-cal. Not sure if you're in the UK but I like Brewdogs' Punk AF & Nanny State, and the budweiser 0% is alright too.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Alcohol is not worth my calories, ever.

Some of my favorite foods are just so calorie dense for the serving that satisfies me that I can rarely eat them. Good quality ice cream, tiramisu, or pizza will set me back 600-900 calories and my daily limit is 1250-1400.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    For me it is pretzels. Crunchy but tastes like nothing but salt.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Any type of juice or liquid calories