Garden thread

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    @ReenieHJ Thank you! Husband asked me what I wanted and then did what he wanted to, don't know why I bother...I showed him a coffin shaped wooden box and that isn't even close. But I love it, too!
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Has anyone successfully grown sweet peas in pots? They’re happy so far but I’ve been told as they mature they may struggle.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    sorry @Hanibanani2020 i have not tried. but this seems to have good advice
  • mbaker566
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My Lophospermum is going crazy. First time planting them and they are a keeper for other summers

ssxo2dttheet.jpg

beautiful
  • mbaker566
    string beans
    62pwh852x2ep.png

daisy
    nimo1u9i92kc.png

from my garden
  • LoveyChar
    I potted 4 rosemary seeds today. I won't over water this time. Lavender is looking great, no flowers yet but thriving, and parsley is growing.dlhwldh3dnta.jpg
    w2c2q70urxcj.jpg
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    I need to weed though 😂
  • LoveyChar
    One rogue sunflower found its' way into my yard and has grown ever so beautifully. I texted my mother-in-law this picture and she said that if I kept the middle after summer ends, I could plant a pot of them in the spring. Anyone ever plant seeds that came directly from a flower with success? There is a construction site down the road with thousands and thousands of tall, beautiful sunflowers. My yard would look like the field if hubby agreed to it.qpc8whttxwis.jpg
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    One rogue sunflower found its' way into my yard and has grown ever so beautifully. I texted my mother-in-law this picture and she said that if I kept the middle after summer ends, I could plant a pot of them in the spring. Anyone ever plant seeds that came directly from a flower with success? There is a construction site down the road with thousands and thousands of tall, beautiful sunflowers. My yard would look like the field if hubby agreed to it.qpc8whttxwis.jpg
    I have grown sunflowers, marigolds, and zinnias from the prior year’s seeds multiple times. (PSA - label the seeds! I joked with a friend at how much my baggies of zinnia seeds look like loose leaf tea. Fast forward a couple weeks when my daughter surprised me with breakfast in bed, complete with zinnia tea :lol: thankfully they are edible, and honestly, it was herbaly enough I didn’t think much of it while I drank it! Didn’t realize the mix up until a conversation later in the day about said seeds and her eyes got wide and she said “wait, that’s not tea?”).

The biggest risk with the sunflower is critters getting to them before you do ;) I leave my scraggly, dead flowers up through winter so that the birds can forage (after harvesting some for myself).
  • LoveyChar
    I have grown sunflowers, marigolds, and zinnias from the prior year’s seeds multiple times. (PSA - label the seeds! I joked with a friend at how much my baggies of zinnia seeds look like loose leaf tea. Fast forward a couple weeks when my daughter surprised me with breakfast in bed, complete with zinnia tea :lol: thankfully they are edible, and honestly, it was herbaly enough I didn’t think much of it while I drank it! Didn’t realize the mix up until a conversation later in the day about said seeds and her eyes got wide and she said “wait, that’s not tea?”).

The biggest risk with the sunflower is critters getting to them before you do ;) I leave my scraggly, dead flowers up through winter so that the birds can forage (after harvesting some for myself).

Thank you!!! That was sweet of your daughter!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

I have had problems with certain hybrids but I have grown sunflowers from bird seed (both intentional and unintentional) and I grew marigolds from saving seeds for about 10 years with no loss in quality.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    4fy9nv6r2wci.png

Last Years Harvest of Satsuma Mandarins <3

so jealous!!!

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    My sister has husk cherries growing, never tried them before and cannot say I'm a huge fan.

My strawberries were amazing this year. First couple pickings were huge and now at the tail end they're small but still so good. :) Slugs were kinda pesky though.
    Now I'm picking green peas(think mine were a bit slow) and they're yummy eating right out of the pod.