Yoga and building muscles at the same time

ss_explor3r
ss_explor3r Posts: 7 Member
Hope you are all doing great!

I'm in the process of increasing my calorie intake to increase my weight in a healthy way and I also plan to add some workout to my routine too.

I like Yoga also and I wanted to know if its possible to include both bodybuilding and yoga in my lifestyle. Since Yoga focuses on body flexibility and stretching while bodybuilding focuses on other aspects.

Since I consider myself an ectomorph, my idea of a perfect body would be like Bruce Lee.

What are your thoughts on the feasibility of combining both yoga and bodybuilding in the lifestyle? Have you tried? If yes, what has your experience been?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I've personally have done yoga and strength training, not body building. Although I really enjoyed yoga, it isn't ideal for someone with my goal of strength.

For your goal, I don't see an issue and I would suggest both instead of yoga alone regardless of goal.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I do yoga and strength training. Yoga helps you maintain flexibility and mobility. You might look into DDPY. It's an odd combination of yoga and strength training. It is surprisingly effective. I don't know if you turn into Bruce Lee but stick with it and you will turn into a stronger version of yourself.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Good combination, go for it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,423 Member
    I do yoga, Pilates, lots of walking, some running, and what I guess is called strength training.

I’ve found that each compliments the other.

The machines and rather wimpy deadlifts and bench presses I do (I’m not trying to win awards here!) build strength. This in turn has helped with yoga skills, particularly arm balances and adding push-ups in chatarunga.

In return, those extra pushups are helping with the machines.

Pilates helps all of it because it focuses on core strength. And I use the Magic Circle constantly, even when not asked to do so, because simply pumping it has helped strengthen my arms. The “Ultrafit” circle has made a huge difference over the standard one.

It’s like a happy little cycle of coefficiency.
  • stuffyknee
    stuffyknee Posts: 13 Member
    I’ve done yoga most of my life. When I hit 40, I started focusing on muscle strength, and was overjoyed to realize that I had significant endurance and strength from yoga. I now also lift and box. Weekly yoga helps counteract muscle soreness and the flexibility losses that can come with strength training. And the strength training has brought me gains in many poses.