trying to lose weight with hashimoto's

hey 👋
trying to lose weight after having my second child and finding out I have hashimoto's. so if you have any wieght lost success with thyroid issues I would love some suggestions.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I lost weight while hypothyroid (though not Hashi's), but properly medicated - about 50 pounds in a little under a year - and have stayed at a healthy weight for 4+ years since. As far as I know, we do it just like anyone else does . . . on MFP that usually means logging carefully and sticking to a sensible calorie goal.

The thread below is a really informative one about weight loss and hypothyroidism. It was written by a guy who is himself hypothyroid, lost weight using MFP, and has worked as a scientist in precisely that field as well. It's full of sound information, highly recommended:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management/

This is a good general starter introduction to MFP (don't let the joke-y title put you off ;) ):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    I have had Hashimoto since I was 21 and I am now 79. No problems losing weight when on the right medication dosage.
  • sbe80
    sbe80 Posts: 3 Member
    Before I was diagnosed I was always trying to lose weight and it was hard. When I was diagnosed I was so upset I gave up dieting and gained weight. I have noticed it's easier to lose weight now that I'm in medication, but motivation has been a problem.
    A friend who's hypothyroid lost weight and used a personal trainer to build muscle and get a body like those you see in magazines. He's kept it up for two years now and says it can be done.
    The problem I've had with hashimoto's is that I'm much more prone to exercise injuries that take long to heal and that has made me very cautious about some forms of exercise (can't accidents, though).