WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Just had an email from DH's elder daughter. She has just split up with her boyfriend. He is much younger than her, but they seemed quite a good fit. Apparently he hasn't been pulling his weight around the house while he is furloughed and she is still working full time from home. Oh dear.
    The younger daughter moved in at the start of lockdown and has also been working at home.
    Anyway, she seems quite ok about it all. She has been through many relationships, all ones which are a bit weird in our opinion, and seems to move on with ease. Her first husband is still her best friend. She also loves her pets. She will be 50 this December. She was diagnosed a couple of years ago with Asperger's.
    I was quite fond of her boyfriend, but we know her well enough. She is a law unto herself. She is buying him out from his share of the mortgage.
    Plus ça change.........

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    When we put a bid in on son's house I listened to what our realtor told us to bid. We were not allowed to know what others bid if there was another bidder in the works. We had to fill out what seemed like a form the went on forever just to bid. Hopefully you will get more than one bid. You will have to decide what is the strongest bid. You can always counter a bid if you think you can get a better deal from the buyer. I will say we did not get the first house we bid on because I made a bid expecting the person to counter bid. It was a strong bid according to our agent. Her counter bid was she would only take full asking price. Because we did not accept were able to walk away which is what we wanted to do as we thought about the property because we knew it wasn't quite right for our son. I tell you my story because I was recently on the other side of the buying process. We also walked away from the second home because the seller wanted us to take over being the landlord for the property for a month. (Too complicated for me.) Son is very happy in his home that we ended up buying.

I glad to hear you have your bottom $ in mind it helps when working with your agent. You get a better idea if it is the right agent if what they are going to list your home in that ball park. If it is too low or too high agent might not know your area well enough.

I have paid attention to what homes have gone for in our area and son's so if we had to sell tomorrow I have a good idea what I think both properties should be listed at. No plans to buy or sell at the moment.

Good luck! Hope it sells quickly and for the price you want!

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2020
    Today is a day of rest for me, despite it being Tuesday. I feel great and my worry levels have gone on vacation. I hope they stay gone for a long time. DH is anxious about me returning to the gym at this time. I'm not sure what to do about it. I need the exercise. I can easily wear a mask and do yoga at the same time. I think I'll give the gym a call and find out what they are requiring. That may help ease his mind.

Katla in overcast NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,432 Member
    Messenger on Facebook is such a delightful thing. Yesterday at 11:00am I connected with my cousin. She lives in Montenegro, in a beautiful cottage on a hill. Her husband is Russian, and many years ago I attended her wedding in California with my aunt. Wedding gifts they gave everyone were beautiful wooden Russian nesting dolls. My boys played with them for years. Her grandpa was my great uncle, also a carpenter like my maternal grandfather, and helped build my childhood home. So we texted about this and that, ending our texts at 3:30pm! It was like a nice visit, complete with coffee!
    Then I think about my middle sister, that I click on in Messenger that texts to me, "just looking at Facebook and not chatty". So I give her a 👍 sign and that's it. My husband said I put too much importance on communication. My cousin had a mom that was an alcoholic, passing away at 45 years old. So cousin pointed out to me that my sister surrounds herself with people that approve of her choices. I am a contradiction to that. So its not that she doesn't want to chat with me personally, its what I represent. Anywhoo, she is an amazing cousin, and I felt blessed to chat with her.💖
    Have a nice day all!
    💖Rebecca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Rebecca- so glad you had a good communication with your cousin. Those times are nice. <3

I'm surprising myself by feeling a bit sad about my stepdaughter 's break up. I was quite fond of Sam. :s It is a little bit of family that you lose. DH doesn't really understand, but he is a man. I guess I felt a but motherly towards him.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Ugh trying to get the verified license with the star and didnt have all the right documents oh well.. will call and make another appointment at triple A..
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Messenger on Facebook is such a delightful thing. Yesterday at 11:00am I connected with my cousin. She lives in Montenegro, in a beautiful cottage on a hill. Her husband is Russian, and many years ago I attended her wedding in California with my aunt. Wedding gifts they gave everyone were beautiful wooden Russian nesting dolls. My boys played with them for years. Her grandpa was my great uncle, also a carpenter like my maternal grandfather, and helped build my childhood home. So we texted about this and that, ending our texts at 3:30pm! It was like a nice visit, complete with coffee!
    Then I think about my middle sister, that I click on in Messenger that texts to me, "just looking at Facebook and not chatty". So I give her a 👍 sign and that's it. My husband said I put too much importance on communication. My cousin had a mom that was an alcoholic, passing away at 45 years old. So cousin pointed out to me that my sister surrounds herself with people that approve of her choices. I am a contradiction to that. So its not that she doesn't want to chat with me personally, its what I represent. Anywhoo, she is an amazing cousin, and I felt blessed to chat with her.💖
    Have a nice day all!
    💖Rebecca

I love Facebook for keeping in touch with family and friends/classmates. They all live at least an hour away so I don't get to see them very often- some just ever 5 yrs at the reunions. Using Facebook has made reconnecting and planning the reunions easier- our next one is 10-10-20(40yr reunion). I have been able to really get to know some that I never talked to in school- too shy, never talked to anyone.
    I love getting up and finding messages or start with a quick note and the person is there and wants to chat.
    I wish my sisters would use it for messages and not just sending random things- I hear from both of them only when they want something. Frustrated with younger one- I mailed a bunch of masks that I made to her. Started out was just for her then she wanted some for a friend but her friend didn't want to pay anything for them, I added one in for her to drop off at my aunts house. I keep messaging and asking her if she dropped aunts off. She won't respond. I see she read the message but won't answer. Aunt is 80, asked for one so made sure I got them in the mail as soon as I was finished with them. I asked aunt and she doesn't respond-thinking she doesn't want to say anything but that sister didn't do it. If she didn't I would send another one to her place.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

I love Facebook for keeping in touch with family and friends/classmates. They all live at least an hour away so I don't get to see them very often- some just ever 5 yrs at the reunions. Using Facebook has made reconnecting and planning the reunions easier- our next one is 10-10-20(40yr reunion). I have been able to really get to know some that I never talked to in school- too shy, never talked to anyone.
    I love getting up and finding messages or start with a quick note and the person is there and wants to chat.
    I wish my sisters would use it for messages and not just sending random things- I hear from both of them only when they want something. Frustrated with younger one- I mailed a bunch of masks that I made to her. Started out was just for her then she wanted some for a friend but her friend didn't want to pay anything for them, I added one in for her to drop off at my aunts house. I keep messaging and asking her if she dropped aunts off. She won't respond. I see she read the message but won't answer. Aunt is 80, asked for one so made sure I got them in the mail as soon as I was finished with them. I asked aunt and she doesn't respond-thinking she doesn't want to say anything but that sister didn't do it. If she didn't I would send another one to her place.

>>>

Just send a mask directly to your aunt! Maybe your sister doesn't want to drop the mask off at your aunt's house, or it's inconvenient for some reason. Now she probably feels guilty about it and is avoiding responding to you. Just tell her you changed your mind and want to send a different mask to your aunt and she can keep the other one or give it to a friend. Let her off the hook! Life is too short. My sister is dead.

Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,330 Member
    edited June 2020
    Katla – without saying it, I’m trying to make things for Jess to have that are fairly low in calories. Last night she said that she was looking for some ice cream to have, I just told her to have a pop. The ones I make are something like 90 calories each. Breyers ice cream is more than that. She likes her cookies. Meringues are low in calories. Now to see if she will eat them. Personally, *I* like them. I think they needed more sugar probably because I added more unsweetened cocoa and didn’t add extra sugar. But it’s not that they’re bad, just not real sweet.

Viv UK – (((HUG)))). We had a cat who had cancer so I know how you feel.

Dflk – when you have a BDT basically you lay down on a table and this big “wand” scans your body. That’s it. You don’t feel a thing. About your aunt, totally agree with Karen VA

Evelyn – the last time we put out our recycling container, I think they might have had a new driver who didn’t realize that our road is an extension of the circle. But they did come to get it 2 days later, which was no biggie. But they took the old can and left us with a new can. Not like there was anything wrong with the old can. The thing I think about is the fact that the new can has “recycling” on top whereas the old one didn’t

Allie – what kind of documentation do you need to get the license? I need to renew mine next year and I want one of those types.

You have to download this app for the Y in FL to "reserve" your spot in a class,etc. Yet, I can't figure out how you can reserve an elliptical or treadmill. Well, by the time I get down there, hopefully this "reserving" stuff will be over. Anyway, it looks like Central FL pays to have the Body Pump program (they don't have it at Titusville, but at other locations). They have their programs on the app for free, so I'm happy. I get to do something different.

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    edited June 2020
    I mailed a birthday card to our daughter. I hope it gets there on time. She already has our birthday gift and is very happy with it. We sent money & she chose to buy a kitchen device that will vacuum & seal food for her freezer. We sent her money and she chose the device she liked best. I hope she enjoys her gift for years to come. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • dlfk202000
    edited June 2020
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

>>>

Just send a mask directly to your aunt! Maybe your sister doesn't want to drop the mask off at your aunt's house, or it's inconvenient for some reason. Now she probably feels guilty about it and is avoiding responding to you. Just tell her you changed your mind and want to send a different mask to your aunt and she can keep the other one or give it to a friend. Let her off the hook! Life is too short. My sister is dead.

Karen in Virginia

Thanks for the response-

I know it isn't because it is out of the way to drop the mask off- she drives past twice a day at least. I am thinking she kept that one for herself(the print my aunt picked). I will have to make new ones as I don't have any more on hand- I made over 150 of them. I will need to get her address. I know how to get there and know the street name but don't know the number. I sent 5 for my sister (3 for her 2 for friend_ plus the one for my aunt. When I was making them I assumed aunt got her's but with them both not letting me know either way, I am wondering.
  • dlfk202000
    exermom wrote: »
    Katla – without saying it, I’m trying to make things for Jess to have that are fairly low in calories. Last night she said that she was looking for some ice cream to have, I just told her to have a pop. The ones I make are something like 90 calories each. Breyers ice cream is more than that. She likes her cookies. Meringues are low in calories. Now to see if she will eat them. Personally, *I* like them. I think they needed more sugar probably because I added more unsweetened cocoa and didn’t add extra sugar. But it’s not that they’re bad, just not real sweet.

Viv UK – (((HUG)))). We had a cat who had cancer so I know how you feel.

Dflk – when you have a BDT basically you lay down on a table and this big “wand” scans your body. That’s it. You don’t feel a thing. About your aunt, totally agree with Karen VA

Evelyn – the last time we put out our recycling container, I think they might have had a new driver who didn’t realize that our road is an extension of the circle. But they did come to get it 2 days later, which was no biggie. But they took the old can and left us with a new can. Not like there was anything wrong with the old can. The thing I think about is the fact that the new can has “recycling” on top whereas the old one didn’t

Allie – what kind of documentation do you need to get the license? I need to renew mine next year and I want one of those types.

You have to download this app for the Y in FL to "reserve" your spot in a class,etc. Yet, I can't figure out how you can reserve an elliptical or treadmill. Well, by the time I get down there, hopefully this "reserving" stuff will be over. Anyway, it looks like Central FL pays to have the Body Pump program (they don't have it at Titusville, but at other locations). They have their programs on the app for free, so I'm happy. I get to do something different.

Michele NC

Thanks for letting me know about the test- I was worried about how they did it and too scared to look it up,
  • Katla49
    edited June 2020
    dflk: I had a covid test prior to my recent medical procedure. The test was required by the doctor. I drove to the testing site and they put a very long q-tip up my nose. It didn't hurt. They told me verbally that I did not have Covid 19 & sent the test results directly to my doctor. It wasn't scary or painful. I hope this helps. :heart: DH & I both use masks when out in public places such as grocery stores.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,503 Member
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,432 Member
    rdhqg9iqs4yq.jpg
    My meal today. Homemade chicken and wild rice soup, cucumber/tomato and spinach salad, bagel with pepper jack cheese, and pickled beets. Yum city!
    💖Rebecca
  • dlfk202000
    rdhqg9iqs4yq.jpg
    My meal today. Homemade chicken and wild rice soup, cucumber/tomato and spinach salad, bagel with pepper jack cheese, and pickled beets. Yum city!
    💖Rebecca

looks really good
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2020
    Lanette I have sage in a box on my deck. I cut the older woody stems back every year after it greens up. It's been there for at least 5 years. One plant died but the other is thriving (the plant in the forefront on the right - there are some other herbs in the same box, and lemon balm & mint in the box behind):

cttn9rq3twl1.jpeg
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Karen-your plants are beautiful,by the way!!
    Debby in Va