Coronavirus prep

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Here's my counter to the, "We're all gonna die now," media frenzy.

https://www.cnet.com/news/heres-the-truth-about-the-new-swine-flu-with-pandemic-potential/
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    Here's my counter to the, "We're all gonna die now," media frenzy.

https://www.cnet.com/news/heres-the-truth-about-the-new-swine-flu-with-pandemic-potential/

:heart:
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Dr. Gupta was talking on MSNBC yesterday about how the countries that have done better than the U.S. have much more "tests per confirmed case." We have 12 tests for each confirmed case here in the U.S. Other countries test rates per confirmed case are much higher: New Zealand - 270, Estonia - about 70, South Korea - about 90. And yet we have 12 per confirmed case. Testing is an important piece of the puzzle.

Trying to understand the point you're making. Does this make the USA "good" or "bad"?

If I understand it correctly, it seems like they're finding 1 sick person for every 12 tested. Where I live there is only 1 sick person for every 80 people tested. On the other hand, the chart seems to be showing the USA tests just over 3 times as many persons per million of population than we're doing here. Another point though is that we had very few deaths from our COVID cases.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    In the US here btw.

Is anyone else planning on how they may stock up before Fall/Winter? While I know we are not even out of wave 1 in most places, I also know that a Fall/Winter with Covid plus flu plus the other normal illnesses for that time of the year is going to be a mess. I am figuring out how to eat through what I have in the freezer now so I can restock. Also taking notes of what I bought this last time and did not eat or what I struggled to get this last time around.

I'm not much worried about food. There was always food in the stores during the worst of shut downs and panic buying here, even if there wasn't always everything you wanted. And I'm pretty flexible about eating what's available.

I've made a list of non-food items that were in short supply for the first two to three months (hand sanitizer, various types of household disinfectant cleaning products, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissues, vitamin D) that I feel are important for health and hygiene, and every time I go to the store I buy something from the list, which I wouldn't normally have to do every shopping trip, so I'm gradually building up a little stockpile for when the next wave hits and the store shelves empty again.

Maybe I'll think about adding things like powdered milk, powdered eggs, flour, yeast, dried beans, rice, oats, and other grains to the list, but really, I didn't make that much of a dent in my regular stock of those things during the first wave, because, as I said, it was never as if there was no food at all available to buy. Even when there was no dairy milk available, there was soy and other nondairy milk available. And when there were no fresh eggs in the grocery stores, I was able to find them at a farm stand and at a Greek bakery that started selling them for pickup orders, along with lebneh, olives, and some pantry staples.

For me part of it is the fact that I do have a slightly increased risk and my issues with masks. So I want to be prepared so I am not having to go out as much. It will also help with my anxiety if things start picking up again.

Thank you for the reminder about supplements and facial tissues. I will add those to my list to start picking up over time.

As for food I was thinking about the stuff I eat ALL the time. Like chicken, asian noodles (udons, soba, ramen), rice, coconut aminos, broths/stocks, yeast, frozen broccoli, other frozen veggies (for like soups) etc. That sort of stuff. I won't worry about things I don't eat all that much or items that I didn't have a lot of trouble finding (fresh produce or fish for example). I also learned that I don't really eat canned veggies or canned soup since making them both fresh is just as easy. I'm not worried about bread as long as I have yeast and flour. Easier to make my own anyway due to food allergies and restrictions.

I know I may come across as a bit... crazy. I just want to feel prepared for what I KNOW is going to be a bad fall/winter.

The college scene is going to be hard. They live in such close quarters. It would be nice if colleges had old fashioned infirmaries so infected kids could isolate there, but I do not see that happening. One daughter goes to college in PA in a county that was the first to be locked down. Two of six roommates had mild Covid cases and recovered. The same six are living together plus 2 more next year. I have no idea what they will do if one gets sick. There isn't a way to isolate at all.

Actually, there are many universities that are designating entire dorm buildings for students who need to be in quarantine, either because of a positive test or known exposure.

My question is, what happens to the COVID-positive student. Do they get to continue their classes remotely or do they just have to take an Incomplete for the semester? What happens then since they are quarantined for 14 days and cannot attend an in-person class? They must have a plan for that, but if they do our local university isn't bothering to share it.

The ones I have read about say they can continue their classes remotely.
    As with all of these re-opening plans, whether at universities or at businesses, there seem to be more questions than answers.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    The tp situation in Iowa is much better than it was, but still hard to find hand sanitizer, hand or household wipes, and hand soap. Most of the food we eat has been available most of the time. We buy beef from our cousin & have a chest freezer, so not running out of meat anytime soon. Mask wearing is kind of hit & miss. My gs estimated the other day about 75% compliance at Walmart that day. A different Walmart a different day & dh said he was about the only one with a mask. Our numbers are confusing, because they are using a moving number, but seem to be holding around 3-400 new cases per day. For awhile, a lot of our cases were from meat processing plants & nursing homes, too. Not sure about now.

Still having shortages?! Here the fear is that some businesses will be caught with surplus of certain products now that the emergency needs have lessened.

Mask wearing is compulsory for visiting any retail store, so that's nearer to 100% indoors, but not so much on the streets. (I seldom wear one, because I'm not the shopper in our house). Wore a mask to the bank two months ago to make the first of a series of recurring payments. Immediately set up an online option so I didn't have to go back there the second month.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    There are also issues with the 'experts' who sent sick Covid patients into nursing homes, where they infected and ultimately killed thousands of old people. And then the issue of counting as a Covid death anyone who is suspected of having the virus, even if they were shot or in a car accident or had been dieing of cancer.