What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I did my yoga/stretching routine yesterday but gave up halfway because I felt too tight.

Did the same again today and actually progressed big time! My right hamstrings are still rather tight, thus I was happy to discover the dreaded, and rather painful flip of a hamstring muscles/nerve when doing pigeon pose (wonder what my neighbours think). I noticed this in the left leg about two weeks ago, and it's nearly gone now after lots of careful stretching, foam rolling and massaging. Thus on to right now. And I can do a very deep lunge now where both thighs are totally flat, thus like this but a bit deeper shutterstock_91723619.jpg Actual splits are not there yet. Still too many tight spots in my legs.
  • Mommytyme
    Mommytyme Posts: 61 Member
    Yoga, Rowing, Step Training, Walking, Cardio and Elliptical exercises .. total workout time over an hr and ten minutes...62dh0lt8r7k2.jpeg

• alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Upper PHUL and 18K steps ;)
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited June 2020
    @MikePfirrman Calluses were a major issue for me after my time off climbing. Climbing calluses (for me) are in a different spot to weight lifting ones, and so my hands were really soft when I got back to climbing. They were in shreds after the first session. It took a couple of weeks, but now they are back to normal and I don't need to tape up.

Yesterday, I did:
    • An hour's yoga before breakfast
    • Squatted over lunch (5 sets of 6, 70 kgs)
    • Deadlifted just before dinner (3 sets of 5, 100 kgs)
    • Went for a walk, getting 17,000 steps in

I meant to do weighted core stuff, but had some work to do and didn't finish until around 1 a.m., so I was lazy and delayed it until today.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Matt, yeah I know in my head they'll go away. Scrubbed the rower handle today also which helped. The sweat and grime build up in the hot Summer months.

Did our indoor rowing club's CTC today, which was a "waterfall" workout -- going from longer periods to shorter ones as you progress. It was 7 minute/2 minute rest, 5 minute/2 rest, 3 minutes/2 rest, 1 minute on the rower. Averaged 2:04.3 pace for the workout, 3861 meters in 16 minutes of total work. HR hit 180 on the last set (over 90% of max). Hadn't done a hard row in weeks, so just tried to keep around a 25 stroke per minute rate. Was able to hold a 32 SPM on the one minute rep.

Just pleased I did it. Performance not great but it didn't feel too awful. And legs were feeling heavy this AM as I've been doing a lot more leg work. So completing it with not the freshest of legs was good.

• alexmose
    PHUL heavy squats and deadlift day. I have kept these in 3-5 rep ranges. In keeping along with PHUL, I have a more hypertrophy leg day too. Should I even bother with this low of a rep range if all I want are larger muscles (glutes, wya???!!)?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Hack Squats
    Hamstring Curls
    Back extensions
    Hip Adductors
    Cable Lateral Raises
    Single Arm Rows
    Chest Press
    Ab Crunches
    Ab Rollouts
    2 mile TM Run

SO NICE TO BE BACK IN THE GYM!!!!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I climbed today. I did just over an hour. I found a new technique for pinch holds, where one uses a half crimp grip for the top bit, and then thumb as normal underneath. I nailed a move I've been trying for weeks (hands are on a pinch and a crimp; you move the right hand from the crimp to another crimp.) The holds in the move are pretty poor, so getting it on an overhang felt like a nice result.

I warmed down with core gubbins and finger curls (60 kgs).
  • miriams76
    miriams76 Posts: 138 Member
    Today is a rest day because I am doing a full fast (5:2 fasting on Wednesdays and Saturday - I'm in Australia) but yesterday I vlogged two Jillian workouts in the morning (this takes about an hour) and then I did 90 minutes at the gym in the evening targeting muscles on the back of my body (hamstrings, glutes, triceps, lower back, rear deltoids, traps etc)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Treadmill - 30 minutes
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    An Aerobic Dvd-55 minutes
  • MikePfirrman
    alexmose wrote: »
    PHUL heavy squats and deadlift day. I have kept these in 3-5 rep ranges. In keeping along with PHUL, I have a more hypertrophy leg day too. Should I even bother with this low of a rep range if all I want are larger muscles (glutes, wya???!!)?

I'm not as much into lifting as some, but it seems the program you're on is a nice mix of low rep and high rep. From what I've read, that's ideal for both power and size (but women will struggle making muscles much larger until body fat is lower, or at least it's harder to see). Heavy KB swings, IMO, are fantastic for glute size. But you have to start lower until you're absolutely sure the form is spot on.

Easy hour today -- 30 on the rower and then 30 on the AD Pro. Really focused on, when rowing, trying to keep a more powerful stroke and rate lower (around 18). Working hard at the same time not to let the HR over 70% max. Over half hour rows become very hard to do that with a strong stroke, so I'm limiting the time on the rower. Also worked on the Assault Bike a lot with just the legs (it has pedals and handles to work both your upper and lower body). If you just use the pedals, it's a really great leg exercise.

I enjoyed the cross training when the wildfires kept me inside. I think I'm going to keep mixing it up and just work the rower until the HR crosses over the 70% threshold, keeping the SS (steady state) days easy. I was getting in bad habits on the rower before, letting the HR drift up to 75% and even a bit higher on the "easy" days.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    10 mile bike ride between rain storms.

I'm challenging myself to ride every single day for the month of July, even if it's only 10 miles or less.
  • alexmose
    alexmose wrote: »

I'm not as much into lifting as some, but it seems the program you're on is a nice mix of low rep and high rep. From what I've read, that's ideal for both power and size (but women will struggle making muscles much larger until body fat is lower, or at least it's harder to see). Heavy KB swings, IMO, are fantastic for glute size. But you have to start lower until you're absolutely sure the form is spot on.

Easy hour today -- 30 on the rower and then 30 on the AD Pro. Really focused on, when rowing, trying to keep a more powerful stroke and rate lower (around 18). Working hard at the same time not to let the HR over 70% max. Over half hour rows become very hard to do that with a strong stroke, so I'm limiting the time on the rower. Also worked on the Assault Bike a lot with just the legs (it has pedals and handles to work both your upper and lower body). If you just use the pedals, it's a really great leg exercise.

I enjoyed the cross training when the wildfires kept me inside. I think I'm going to keep mixing it up and just work the rower until the HR crosses over the 70% threshold, keeping the SS (steady state) days easy. I was getting in bad habits on the rower before, letting the HR drift up to 75% and even a bit higher on the "easy" days.

Thanks for this. Take it easy! Body needs rest ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2020
    @alexmose -- thanks, I do rest on Saturday! I've been doing the six day a week cardio thing for nearly 7 years now. Sounds like a lot but when you know how to take it easy five days a week, it allows you to recover just fine. And I'm a lightweight when it comes to some of my workout circles, but I'm connected with some absolute beasts. The indoor rower community are some of the fittest people I've seen. Many also world class CrossFitters.

• alexmose
    Did some abs but feeling sleepy today 😴 still got 10K steps but I usually get like 17-18
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    3 mile run, 100 arm (each) curls with 2.5 pound dumbbells, 3 one-minute forearm planks! Happy July, y'all!
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    A couple of short walks in my breaks, and a lunch break of bench presses. My personal best was set today, 135 for 5.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    I gave blood today so I confined myself to an hour of walking around hunting Pokemon' with my kids.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2020
    Wife and I went out last night to dinner (patio dining in the AZ heat!), then a parking lot concert, so I didn't have it in me to do the 5 AM workout. Worked out at lunch, my old workout time. Felt good to workout at noon again, but not so great to try to row at 88 degrees. Only managed 20 minutes on the rower. Then did 20 on the LateralX (an elliptical that also goes laterally as well, like you're speed skating) and then 20 on the AD Pro (Assault style bike).

All relatively easy -- the rower from 65% to 74% HR Max, everything else under 70% HR max. Roughly 730 calories for an hour.