Gained 3lbs since Saturday?

Hey guys,

I’m new to this. I’m doing 1200-1400 calories on days I don’t work out and 1500-1800 on days I do work out. I’ve been at a deficit everyday, confirmed by Apple Watch calories. Why have I gained 3 lbs in less than a week?

Is this water and/or salt?

Replies

• unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    There are a number of factors that contribute to fluctuations, especially while in a deficit.

1) Make sure you’re weighing foods. If it only provides millilitres (such as salsa) make a note of the grams you take so you can convert it later. Straight liquids are fine. Basically avoid less specific US measurements (lbs, oz, etc).

2) Water weight. Main triggers tend to be high sodium (2,600mg + in most adults), muscle recovery, and overheating.

3) Slow or irregular bowel movements. If you don’t go frequently you’re going to be weighing waste, which can really accumulate with constipation. (On that note, eating before bed will NOT make you gain weight if you’re in a caloric deficit; an increase in the scale the next morning is just the undigested food. Waste is not fat!)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Those 3 pounds are likely to be increased water retention due to natural hormone variances (especially in cycling women), salt consumption (often high in processed food and restaurant takeout), exercise causing muscle micro-tears (this is natural whenever doing a new exercise or increasing resistance). Don't worry about it. Expect it.