What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• Tausi
    Tausi Posts: 35 Member
    rysj21lpl1c6.jpeg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Avocado vinaigrette to start. Hubby made nasi goreng, a fried egg, tomato and cucumber salads.
    pxhek8pt97lo.jpeg
    i372yqz2nggb.jpeg
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member

Tadka Dhal with egg, steamed fine beans and cauliflower and a few mini poppadums!

I can see many varied Dhals in my future! Comfort food at it’s finest!

Lentils and eggs?! Who would have thought? Yours looks tasty so I'm going to try tomorrow. 😋
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Blaze pizza hrbo1gpi6c94.jpeg
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Tadka Dhal with egg, steamed fine beans and cauliflower and a few mini poppadums!

I can see many varied Dhals in my future! Comfort food at it’s finest!

Lentils and eggs?! Who would have thought? Yours looks tasty so I'm going to try tomorrow. 😋

I’m surprised that you’re surprised! 😂
    To me they’re natural partners in my personal food pairing imagination! I love nothing more than an egg curry tbh, or cauliflower curry, so I guess that’s why I put them together in my maiden dhal voyage!

Highly recommended though, let me know if you give it a try! 😊
  • acpgee
    Starter of steamed artichokes with bearnaise for dipping. Main of steak frites. I made a batch of compound butter from last night's leftover khymer lime and pepper sauce stirred into softened butter with some pressed garlic. Handy to have a little log of that in the freezer
    hedli6qll2kq.jpeg
    9hba3q9bnsl1.jpeg
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    @acpgee The steak-frites looks amazing. <3

I'm also eyeing up @BarbaraHelen2013's dhal and wondering if it would taste nice if I cooked it (I have zero experience with the cooking of Indian food, only the eating of it) and if it would freeze well. I'm always more interested in food that keeps for longer (even if the for longer part involves freezing).
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member

I'm also eyeing up @BarbaraHelen2013's dhal and wondering if it would taste nice if I cooked it (I have zero experience with the cooking of Indian food, only the eating of it) and if it would freeze well. I'm always more interested in food that keeps for longer (even if the for longer part involves freezing).

Dhal will freeze perfectly for up to 6 months, and as with many spiced dishes will taste even better after some time for the spices to get to know each other!

There are so many recipes out there for dhal - some simple, some slightly more complicated. From my recent research there’s two schools of thought - either add the spices from the start or sear the spices and other aromatics in very hot oil and stir through your lentils at the very end. I chose the easier ‘from the start’ option this time.

Honestly, though, I don’t think you can go far wrong, it’s just thick, spiced lentil soup at the end of the day! 😂
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Dhal will freeze perfectly for up to 6 months, and as with many spiced dishes will taste even better after some time for the spices to get to know each other!

Good to know. I might investigate when my freezer starts to run low again. :) Having pre-prepared things I can heat up during the working week is such a lifesaver - sometimes I'm just so beat, and that makes a takeaway very appealling.
  • acpgee
    @acpgee The steak-frites looks amazing. <3

The fries were actually McCain oven fries baked in the air fryer for 12 minutes at 200C. Rump steak was cooked sous vide for an hour at 54C and then reverse seared in a screaming hot cast iron pan, flipping every 10 seconds for a total of 30 seconds per side, and 20 seconds on the edges. The hubby thinks it is too much faff cooking steak sous vide when a pan is so much faster. However I love the edge to edge perfect medium rare I get with the sous vide.
  • acpgee
    The hubby cooked tonight. While I do appreciate not having to cook while I am crazy busy since the work from home situation it is kind of painful to see how cooking stresses him out. Dutch macaroni ham and cheese with a side salad.
    hut9xa5ljx8z.jpeg
  • VeggieMeg71
    VeggieMeg71 Posts: 205 Member
    edited July 2020
    r40ey0vgr1u9.jpg
    Simple, tasty breakfast! Multigrain English muffin with honey goat cheese & fresh strawberries and unsweetened soy milk.

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    @just_Tomek I'm imagining a kitchen full of eggplants stacked in a corner from your weekly CSA order! Or are you just really into seasonal yumminess?
  • acpgee
    Laksa with tofu and fishcakes.
    edcp6jrznjhy.jpeg