NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,196 Member
    So in researching football, (I forgot most of the world calls soccer football) I came across this. I laughed when I saw one state was not going to let a pandemic ruin their football. :D

https://si.com/college/tmg/tony-barnhart/spanish-flu

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    @theslightedgeforever, haha that article and picture cracked me up! That is my state in the picture and living in Athens, I have no doubt that the UGA football stadium will look very similar this fall. :grin: You know you can buy sunflower seeds all ready shelled, right? I can’t buy them like that or I will eat the whole bag in minutes. :D

@RetiredAndLovingIt, it must be so satisfying to grow your own veggies. Bummer about the pumpkins. What a crazy story about your belly pain. The body is a weird thing sometimes. :grin:

@cbabie, wow you are racking up those minutes! That is awful about your friend’s son. Tragedies like that should never happen. :'( I hope your headache stays away.

Good morning! Last evening, we got a disturbing call that my DH’s oldest son, who lives in Ohio, is in the hospital and has to have a quadruple bypass on Monday. He is overweight, unhealthy, and has major stress in his life. DH has worried about him for a long time. We are praying that all will be well and that this will be the wake-up call he needs to change his life. Today, my plans are to work out, clean the house, and cut DH’s hair for church tomorrow. Have a good day! :)

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,783 Member
    Hi friends! I didn't end up going to meet my friend for coffee because the condo above us had a leak into our condo and I had to deal with that. :( It's the 2nd time they've leaked into our condo, this one is severe and caused a lot of damage and we had to claim on our home owner's insurance. I don't think the guys that live upstairs are very observant or care much about where they live. Grrrrr. Tonight, we are going to dinner at an outdoor restaurant with another couple. We are both a bit nervous about it since there has been such a spike in cases, my husband is more nervous than I am. Hopefully we can relax and have fun.

@TeresaW1020 Yep! She's ridiculous. And it's not that she's old and frail and takes long because of that, she's only about 61. She just scrutinizes everything. I'm taking her to return some stuff at Walmart and Target this next week and she's going to shop for rugs while there and I do NOT look forward to that trip! A nice cup of decaf green tea must be nice when you are cold. It sounds like you had good plans for yesterday. Hopefully you had fun with the puzzle. Okay, I just read your latest message. That is terrible about your DH's oldest son! I'll be thinking good thoughts.

@cbabie Yay for another minute! Yeah, my finger might have a cramp in it when it comes time to call 911 ;) .

@RetiredAndLovingIt It's ridiculous, and she's terrified of catching the virus and she still takes that long! lol Unfortunately, I couldn't go with my friend (see above). :( Another day. I miss having a garden (when I was a kid my parents had one). I don't have any room for one, not even on the walkway at my condo.

@theslightedgeforever I've been 100% on tracking. It's paid off: I'm down -2.6 lbs this week! How are YOU doing on tracking? Yeah, I'm nervous about tonight. If it were just my husband and I, I would be less so. But my friend and her husband...not so much her husband because he's already had COVID and is over it. But my friend, she told me some things that makes me nervous. Darned saboteur in the house! Tell him to shove those milkshakes where the sun don't shine! Okay, maybe that was too harsh...just, like you said, tell him not to bring them in the house. ;)

COMMITTED.
    June goal: track all meals, do some form of exercise 3 times a week, get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 52 oz of water per day
  • theslightedgeforever
    @TeresaW1020 Glad I made you laugh. How did you do on the fasting today? Sorry about your stepson. Prayers sent. My dad had to have one of those. But he ignored all the stents he had to have put in first. So I want to be better than him. My best friend's cousin had a heart attack on Friday. He was 35. I keep telling my kids that these things are starting to affect younger people now. They aren't old people things.

@trooworld Hooray on your weight loss. Tracking has never been my problem. It's sticking with what I've preplanned. For instance the milkshake yesterday. I was within bounds and at the end of the night, BAM. I did have a choice to drink it or pour it down the drain though. No one forced me. Yikes on the leak Those upstairs neighbors need to move. So let's do well again another week.

Green Day- Stayed OP 182/238 Intentional Movement nada

June goals: Green Dot day o:) Drink 4.5 glasses water :( Burn 100 cals via movement :( preplan food o:)
  • trooworld
    Hello friends! We didn't end up going to dinner with our friends, we decided it's too risky so we canceled and they understood. We did get take out from an Ethiopian restaurant. The food was okay, but we've had better Ethiopian food from another restaurant.

@theslightedgeforever I see. I sometimes have that problem, too. Yes, unfortunately, the father of one of the tenants owns the condo so I don't think they are moving any time soon. :( I'm not looking forward to not having a bathroom considering we only have one.

COMMITTED.
    June goal: track all meals, do some form of exercise 3 times a week, get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 52 oz of water per day
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,547 Member
    Morning all, I decided that today I would not get on the treadmill. I am okay with my choice. I would have been singing at church today, but our Pastor cancelled our services this week and next because AZ has had such spikes in cases. I think people just got careless, we opened too early and who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to open up the bars...you know this is a city full of universities. smh. So I am going to relax today, putz around my house and enjoy the day.

@trooworld So sorry about the condo upstairs...I would be upset too!! I laughed at your cramp in your finger. LOL that was funny!! Congrats on the loss and tracking. I will get there.

@theslightedgeforever UGH you gave up calories for a runny milkshake? McDonalds used to have the best ones. I remember when I worked there as a teenager..Fish Sandwich, fries and a strawberry milkshake..(free lunch and all). LOL.

@TeresaW1020 I hope you guys have a great time in church today. I so miss it. I am wanting life to return to normal in that area. I am so sorry for your DH son, I will pray for him. I had to be there when my dad had his as my mom was sick with cancer. It was an all day stay for me. However, my dad was one who would take more insulin just to have another apple pie. LOL.

@RetiredAndLovingIt Oh my your garden sounds so nice. I have always wanted one. We tried one year here, but we have lots of sun, so it didn't fair so well. My DH says never again.

Okay gals have a great Sunday

Cbabie
  • TeresaW1020
    @trooworld, Ugghhh I am so annoyed for you having to deal with water damage again! What is wrong with those people. :angry: Can your insurance go after them to pay for the damage? That was probably a good idea to postpone going out to the restaurant. If it makes you nervous then you definitely need to wait until you feel safe.

@theslightedgeforever, my fasting is going well. I did 19 hours yesterday and today. Tomorrow, I’m going to push for 23 to 24 hours. I would like to do that two or three times a week. DH’s son told him on the phone that maybe this is his wake up call to take better care of himself. Poor DH deserves a medal for how hard he had to bite his tongue. :|

@cbabie, I am so sorry that you have had to shut down your church again. I honestly don’t know what the balance is in opening up things and all of us stay safe. :/

Hi everyone! Church this morning was amazing, and we were all so excited to be together again. :) We had about 40% of our people come and everyone did pretty well adhering to social distancing. Many wore their masks and my pastor's wife stood at the door with a bottle of hand sanitizer to douse us all down. We will have nursery and children’s church on July 19th and expect that most everyone else will return then. I can’t wait to start my teaching rotation with the kids again! We are all really praying that this virus will not force us to have to shut down again. Mom wants to buy dinner tonight so DH is going later to pick up Jason’s Deli. I’m getting the pastrami on rye. :grin:
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld Probably a good safe choice on the restaurant. What kind of food do they serve in an Ethiopian restaurant? How was your water intake? I seem to run hot and cold on this goal. Cold right now. Time to turn up the temperature.

@cbabie Enjoy your rest day and back at it tomorrow. Yeah, the milkshake could have been better. It was more like a cup of Ensure. But it was still good and cold. I probably would have been better to stick it in the freezer and eat it the next day like ice cream. But since I only order one every couple of decades, I will forget this nice tip by then. lol

@teresaw1020 Good for you on another successful fasting day. Just keep practicing.

Almost time for July goals. What do you need more practice with?

Red Day Stayed OP 100/100 Intentional movement: 37 min walk

June goals: Green dot day o:) Drink 4.5 glasses of water :( Burn 100 cals via movement o:) Preplan food o:)
  • trooworld
    Hello all! Yesterday was pretty uneventful. I just enjoyed some reading and cooked dinner (which was really good). On Saturday, we started watching a movie, Knives Out, it's really good so far. It's kind of like watching a Clue game in action! We watched some more of it last night. I recommend it.

@cbabie A nice rest day sounds good and deserved! I hope you enjoyed it. People are getting careless around here, too. It's a shame. Thanks re: the leak. You will get there!!!

@TeresaW1020 I know and we aren't done dealing with the first water damage yet! :( I think that is what the insurance will do, but I haven't talked to the adjuster yet, just submitted the claim online. I'll talk to her either today or tomorrow. That's great that church went well! Yay! And yippeee for Mom wanting to buy dinner. ;)

@theslightedgeforever The food at Ethiopian restaurants: it looks like baby food lol. You eat it with your hands, taking a piece of spongy bread called injera (it looks kind of like a cross between a flatter pancake and a crepe) and scooping up the stew. We got a vegetarian combo, which had a spicy lentil stew, some stewed collard greens, split peas, mixed veggies, and a salad. We also got a cubed meat dish. Here's some more info, if you are curious: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ethiopian-food-best-dishes-africa/index.html My water intake the past 5 days have been pretty good. I've been making a decided effort towards it though. It's not been easy! July goals...I need to focus on water more. I think I may make that my only goal because my goals get muddied.

COMMITTED.
  • cbabie
    Morning all, I did get on the treadmill today. I am trying to increase speed and go further each day. I made homemade banana bread yesterday..oh my was that good. We grilled chicken and had baked potatoes..yum.

@trooworld I will check out that movie...we are watching more Netflix these days. LOL

@theslightedgeforever Yes I did rest and now back at it.

@TeresaW1020 Yes I was sad we were closed too..I don't know where the balance is. It's kind of scary, but I will just value the time I do have at church. I think I do more online studies..LOL. and listen and sing at home when I can. Great job on the fasting. UHM Jason's deli...

Cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld The food looked good until I got to the fish eyeballs staring at me. lol I've eaten a lentil stew before but with pita bread. The fuul looked good. I've tried that before. A water goal sounds good. I need to make a definite effort too this next month. My dd told me about Knives Out but I'm not really a movie person.

@cbabie You are doing great on the treadmill. Keep it up. Your food sounded good. I made homemade buttermilk biscuits that were so yummy. I had egg and cheese on them for breakfast and next time I'm going to add some sausage. Hmmm....I might have that tomorrow for breakfast too. I have some left over dough. I couldn't fit them all in my baking sheet.

Yellow Day Stayed OP 136/164 Intentional Movement: rested

June goals: Green dot day o:) Drink 4.5 glasses of water :( Burn 100 cals via movement Preplan food o:)
  • TeresaW1020
    @trooworld, that movie sounds interesting. I love Clue! Is it on Netflix? We watch Agatha Christie's Miss Marple on Hulu and love it. :)

@cbabie, good job on getting on the treadmill. Do you not have a Jason’s Deli? They sell really good sandwiches among other things. I used to go there for the salad bar, which was amazing. But with COVID it’s closed and now they make your salad for you.

Good morning! Well, yesterday I fasted for 23 ½ hours and did weights and barre cardio for my workout. I kept myself busy most of the day but completely cleaning and purging my home office. Our office chairs have needed replacing for a while now and DH said I could order some new ones. I found some nice grey chairs on Amazon that didn’t cost that much and had good reviews. I’m excited to have this room looking nice because it’s a wide-open study right off the front entrance of the house. Right now I’m going to work out and then head over to Walmart for some groceries. Have a good day! :)
  • trooworld
    Good morning everyone! I am stressed beyond belief and it's starting to show: last night, we ordered food delivery and I didn't make a good choice. :( Today, they are taking out our toilet (they've gutted the whole bathroom) and we'll have to go to a hotel. This is very disruptive.

@cbabie Go, cbabie!!! Banana bread and dinner sounded good. That movie was really good, I highly recommend it.

@theslightedgeforever Was it eyeballs or was it hardboiled eggs? Because they put hardboiled eggs in the finished stews lol. Okay, let's concentrate on water. I purposefully didn't drink water yesterday because I couldn't easily access the bathroom most of the day. ;)

@TeresaW1020 It is on Amazon Prime right now but I'm sure it will come on Netflix soon. It's really good. Wow, that's a long fast! I hope you like your new office chairs, they make a big difference. Have a good day!

COMMITTED.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi all..seems like same old, same old here, lol. Dh & either dd or I will be going to Costco in a little while. (I think dd wants to go, so I will stay here with the gkids.) Dd bought a couple of bikes here instead of bringing theirs & decided gd needed a bigger one, but when she went home this last week, she brought back the gk's bikes. So now she is selling the 2 extra. One gone already & someone supposed to get the other this am.

@trooworld Oh no...you sure have water problems! That would be so stressful! Hope things settle down for you. A hotel sounds kinda nice, tho, for a bit.

@theslightedgeforever Your biscuits sounded good & great job staying OP. The cousin that tested positive had absolutely no symptoms & is 73, but her gd is 20 & had it & said so hard to breathe for awhile. Guess she is doing better now.

@TeresaW1020 Wow, I am impressed with your fasts! Don't think I could do that. Great job getting office organized, it does make a person feel better to do that. I need to be doing it, but will probably wait until dd & gks go home. They take most of my energy, lol. & for some reason not getting much deep sleep according to my Fitbit. Not sure about the reason for that.

@cbabie Your banana bread sounded delicious! Gs been eating all my bananas, so havent been able to make any. Won't complain, tho...he is such a picky eater!!!

Well, not much else. Planning to go fishing this afternoon, may be storms later, so I hope they hold off until we are done. We went to a local pond on Sat & the kids caught quite a few. It is the place that had the wormy fish last year, so of course we did "catch & release", lol. One of gs's friends went along & his dad came after awhile for a little bit. The dad is a pulmonologist, so dd said "now's your chance..cough & see what he thinks!" LOL, but no I didn't.

Have a great day!! Stay cool!
  • cbabie
    Morning all, I didn't get on the treadmill this morning. Overslept, had a baby up all night. I made a salad yesterday, it was so good..sweet potato chunks, chicken, baby spring mix, craisins, and poppy seed salad dressing. YUM

@trooworld Oh my I am sorry about being displaced. Yes that is nerve racking and the people upstairs..

@theslightedgeforever your biscuits sound yummy....Hardy's yum....

@TeresaW1020 That was a long fast...glad you made it. I bet you feel better after..LOL. I love purging..it's time for me to do so. LOL I just had a bulimic thought..not that kind of purging...:)

@RetiredAndLovingIt Sounds like life is fun with the GK...I stay away from stores if at all possible these days. LOL

Cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 Sounds like you had another good day working towards your goals. I bet your office will look very nice. It will be good to walk in the front door and see a nice looking space.

@trooworld Good choices are on the menu today. Sorry about the stress. I hope you get to include the hotel costs as part of the insurance agreement. Think of the hotel as a romantic get away moment. You will have maid service. It's all in how we think. It was the fish eyes looking at me. Maybe they were empty holes but still looking at me. lol

@retiredandlovingit What kind of movement are you getting in these days other than chasing grandkids. But that sounds like so much fun. You are making wonderful memories for them. I would have coughed for the pulmonologist. lol Like going to the dr for free. I'm finally getting over my cough from January. I'm still a bit winded.

@cbabie That salad sounds really good. Purging: I had the same thought. Was does that say about us? ;)

Yellow Day- Stayed OP 143/164 Intentional Movement 30 min walk

June goals: Green dot day o:) Drink 4.5 glasses of water o:) Burn 100 cals via movement o:) Preplan food :(
  • trooworld
    Hello everyone! Happy July 1st! They ran into a snafu and didn't end up taking out the toilet yesterday, so we are able to stay in our home until possibly Friday. For that, I'm grateful. My July goals are very simple this month, I just want to focus on good sleep and enough water.

@RetiredAndLovingIt I haven't been to Costco since the virus began. I imagine it's a mess. Yes! I do have water problems. And it sure is stressful. Thank you...I do hope it settles down soon, too. It's not supposed to take too long, about 11 more days. I hope you enjoyed the fishing.

@cbabie Your salad sounds delicious! I had a salad for dinner last night, it was kind of a Thai one with tofu and veggies with a peanut sauce. It was good. Thanks, yes it is disruptive and I hate leaving my condo all alone because sketchy people sometimes walk through the property on the way to the canyon. It worries me.

@theslightedgeforever Yes, the hotel is paid for by insurance (thankfully). Oh I'd be grossed out by the fish eyes too (even if they were empty).

COMMITTED.
    July goal: get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 2 (26 oz) bottles of water a day
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,253 Member
    Been awhile. Just checking in. June was a bust. I’m up like 6 lbs. mostly water weight I know. Heading to the lake today. Will be spending most of the summer down there. Plan for July is to do lots of exercising to make room for those booze calories. lol
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi all..quiet day here so far. The gkids have each had an online class & dh & dd went to Sams to see if she could get some clothes for the kids that Costco didn't have, lol. I have been kinda lazy..should start washing some clothes at least!

@theslightedgeforever Not doing much extra for exercise. I still get about 8,000 steps just doing normal stuff. I have been slacking on the food front also. Still logging, but not staying in calories very well. I know it is too much munching even tho not really hungry. We did a longer walk on Sunday. I wouldn't like fish eyeballs looking at me either. Kinda like the one time I cooked tongue..just couldn't handle seeing the taste buds, lol.

@renaegry Have fun at the lake! That sounds so fun & "normal"!

@trooworld Yay for getting to stay home longer! (Although the hotel sounds kinda fun, too!) I know what you mean about leaving your home empty..it worries dh, too.

Dh has been going to Costco during "elderly" hours & very few people there. Since dd went with him yesterday, had to go a little later. He said it was a zoo!! & out of so much..tp, paper towels, cleaning wipes, hand soap. It shocked him that all the paper products were gone again! Don't know if that means people are starting to stock up again (which is what I was trying to do, lol), or getting ready for the 4th, or ??? So ready for things to go back to "normal" but sometimes wonder if they ever will, or if we just have to get used to a new normal.

Well, better go get something done, not getting steps sitting here, lol.

Have a great day!!
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld Your new goals sound simple and doable. May the last half of 2020 be better than the first half. I hope your bathroom gets fixed real soon.

@renaegry Summer on the lake sounds good. I hope you have some nice healthy food and snacks to take with you.

@retiredandlovingit Yuck on the tongue. I've seen it in the grocery store along with chicken feet which grosses me out too. But then I'm sure my food is gross to other people so I won't judge. So that's good that you are tracking. How about munching on some healthy stuff. I'm sure with gkids lots of other goodies are around within reach. I know I eat more junk when I visit my kids or they are here. I think we will all have a new normal.

Red Day- Stayed OP 87/100 g Intentional exercise: 20 min walk 30 min YouTube video

July goals: Green dot day o:) Drink 5 glasses of water :( Burn 165 cals via movement o:) Preplan food o:)