WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,503 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: fast for blood work, T’ai Chi, ABI test
    Bonus: 55 min stroll with Tracie, 50 mins pruning the fetterbush.
    Get to do: BB&B video, invest 14 mins cleaning Dining Room, carry over cleaning mins: 18 Guest Bth, 20 Bedrooms, 18 mins Master Bath, 10 Living Rm, 10 Office; call PC guy about mic/speaker, practice new dances (Evergreen, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right, Quarter after one, Half Past Tipsy, Senorita, Dance Monkey; next week final? Follow up call for Joe’s Dr. appointment, transplant pineapples, bean, melons, cukes; make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.

Barbie thank you forever for keeping us going. The wisdom, caring and common sense of this group is a greater gift than I can tell.

Rita and Debbie in Napa here are links to some introductory material and the first 4 classes. The rest are going to be through the community college’s portal so only available to registered students. But you could do these, gradually increasing the reps by one each week and going from two circuits to three the second week.

You don’t need much floor space and only some had weights or plastic water bottles and a chair for balance.

Strong bones!
    https://youtu.be/IvmKOjyvDXk - BB&B Introduction / Demonstration
    https://youtu.be/qx2Ax5RLV4w - BB&B Online Full Demonstration Class for Beginners
    https://youtu.be/wCV82HMkfUU - BB&B Online Summer Class #1 (video was a little garbled so use the Spring one if you like.
    https://youtu.be/Mh46DS1UC44 - BB&B Online Class #1 (This is the Spring Term class)
    https://youtu.be/ZUHlyj0oQjg - BB&B Online Summer Class #2
    https://youtu.be/tQEZyslHbDY - BB&B Online Summer Class #3
    https://youtu.be/1_2R_hAM4-o - BB&B Online Summer Class #4
    Welcome @marlow, @carlsoda Carla in MN, @SunshineMcsparkles (:love: that handle), @Kelceybyers soon to be in MA, @mtmartin2013.
    Miss Kelly, :love: “The mud will wash off…”
    Lanette “… in the greenhouse”? Aha! Now some of your produce makes sense. Would love to see a pic of your greenhouse, all we have is a little plastic Bi-mart special whose roof has weathered away. Thanks for understanding ;)
    Lisa :love: the Levi and Dad pic. Like Sue in WA I like the pink one best… so far ;)
    Barbie I’m going to have to do some soul searching and decide if the joy of running the dogs on the beach outweighs the pain in my shoulder and guilt over losing my temper.
    Michele, thanks for the clicker and treat reminder. Will try that with Tumble tomorrow.
    Annie Brava for gifting your dad with that awkward installation. ;)

Pip you sound happy to be back on your bike to work routine.

yup, then I got a flat on the way to work, walked the bike home, now I have to drive cuz we packed the bike stuff to repair the flat, ughhh
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2020
    Pip Dang it! That's annoying. Or you could buy some new flat repairing stuff. You'll use it eventually, right? Am so excited for you to get your vintage home on the market and let the bidding wars begin. I know it's bittersweet for you but maybe you can recreate some of the vintage charm in your new apartment with a little imagination.

Lisa You pay a really big price for indulging your inner child. If I did what you did, I might feel hungover the next day. What you go through is so extreme. Truly, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. (((Hugs)))
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Machka - here's the U.S. version - not that different. It shows what changed in 2016. Not saying ours is better at all. I seldom use the % of the daily value in our right-hand column, other than when it's about vitamins, as I don't want to overload what I already take for supplements. I skip through and pick up what's important to me - especially what a serving size entails, so that I can do the math for the container. Many are finally putting that on the label now.

You can find the "Using the Nutrition Facts Label" explanation for "older adults" at the link. Even more information than was on yours.

t2ay58sdhxsn.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    edited July 2020
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Machka - here's the U.S. version - not that different. It shows what changed in 2016. Not saying ours is better at all. I seldom use the % of the daily value in our right-hand column, other than when it's about vitamins, as I don't want to overload what I already take for supplements. I skip through and pick up what's important to me - especially what a serving size entails, so that I can do the math for the container. Many are finally putting that on the label now.

They are quite similar. :)

The last time I would have seen American food would have been in 2012 and I don't particularly remember looking at labels so I couldn't remember what they were like.

Some of our labels have the % of daily intake, but as the link mentions and you know, that isn't necessarily helpful. I think they often base those percentages on something like a 2000+ calorie per day diet which I only dream of! :grin:

https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/eating-well/how-understand-food-labels
    "Percentage Daily Intake
    Some labels also list nutrients in a serve of the product as a percentage of daily nutrient intake. This can be used to compare the nutrients in one serve of the food with what an ‘average adult’ needs. Like nutrition claims, this information can give you a rough guide, but your individual needs, particularly kilojoules, could be quite different."

Some of ours include vitamins and minerals too, but I wish they'd include more vitamins and minerals. At most they might list 4, but I doubt that's all there is. However, perhaps it is difficult to do that.

I usually look at the per 100 grams listing. (Serving sizes are a pet peeve of mine.) But when I know the number of calories in 100 grams, I can weigh the item and do the calculation. :)

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,330 Member
    Did an Advanced Strength DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a DVD for the bosu

Barbara – when I go to the MD office or really anyplace, my bp is usually high. I think part of it is because I was rushing to get to the appointment. But, yet, when I take it at home, my bp is in the normal range. I used the app someone on here suggested and it really helps the MD to see that I don’t have high bp. Like you said, do you have high bp or just make poor choices?

Michelle
    – welcome! That’s so nice of you to delete parts of a post and only leave the part you are responding to. If someone doesn’t do that, sometimes you have no idea what they’re responding to

Dawkson – welcome! You and M have a lot in common I’m sure

M – oh, I’m so sorry about your husband (and you)

Off to Aldi. I like to go early in the morning. Usually if I go ½ hr after it opens, then I can easily get in the store. I hate waiting if I can avoid it. Plus, by then there isn’t as much of a crowd.

Michele NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    😊
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    2191610q208gshr57.gif
  • Machka9
    appptxj0363d.png

We talk a lot here so just jump right into any conversations that interest you. :) Or tell us more about you!

Machka in Oz
    Tips that have worked for me
    Put your current numbers into MFP
    Select sedentary as your activity level
    Choose how much you'd like to lose (i.e. 1 lb/week)
    MFP will give you the number of calories to eat
    Eat those calories
    ... and weigh (with food scale) and log every bite.

A few extra things have helped me along the way:

1) Exploring my grocery stores and markets to find delicious, filling low calorie foods. It's amazing what's out there.

2) Exercising as much as possible. Exercise gives me extra calories to work with so that I can have things like pizza now and then ... but to keep my sanity and not wear myself out, my exercise quantity varies as does what I do for exercise.

Also, I tend not to eat all my exercise calories back.
    If I've just done a little bit of exercise like a 3 km walk or something, I'll eat about 50% of my calories back.
    If I've done a moderate amount of exercise like a 5 km run or 50 km bicycle ride, I'll eat about 75% of my calories back.
    If I've done a lot of exercise, like a half marathon or a 100 km bicycle ride, I might eat about 90% of my calories back.

3) Eating how I want to eat. This is where everyone is different ... some people prefer to employ fasting, others like high protein diets, some like vegetarian diets, some like to eat 2 or 3 meals a day, others like to graze. Go with what works for you.

Personally, if I had to define what I do, my diet is probably most similar to a Mediterranean diet with a vegetarian lean ... and I'm a grazer. I also have to adjust what I do depending on my cycling events ... they're tricky because I need the fuel without going overboard.

And stick to it for 5 weeks, then reassess how things are going. :)

Regarding Cheat Meals
    When I was on a mission to lose weight in 2015, I never went over my calorie limit. I stuck to the plan like glue. And I lost the weight.

But I broke it up into weeks. When I started I had 16 weeks until we were going to Canada so my plan was to stick to the calorie limit for 16 weeks and then take a 1-month break while we were in Canada. I did that and lost 15 kg in that time. After the 1-month break, I eased back into it for a couple weeks, upped my calorie limit slightly, and then stuck to it like glue for the next 16 weeks in which I lost 11 kg and took me close to Christmas when I took another break for about a month.

10 Things to Stop Doing If You Want to Exercise
    https://www.verywellfit.com/things-to-stop-if-you-want-to-exercise-1231403

January's 2020 Goals
    It is difficult to make goals because I'm not sure what's going to happen one day to the next. I plan, God laughs ... or something like that. The last couple years have been a lesson in patience and flexibility and giving up a lot of what I would like to do in the interests of what needs to be done.

However, I do have some goals I'd like to accomplish, if possible ...

How to Set SMART Goals for 2020
    SMART is an acronym that stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely.
    https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/smart-goal-setting

Interestingly, he talks about 7 significant areas ...

Financial Goals: Start saving for retirement, get out of debt, or use a monthly zero-based budget.
    Spiritual Goals: Pick up a new devotional, start a daily journal, or plug in to a group at your church.
    Fitness Goals: Hit the gym more often, take the stairs, and remember to eat your veggies.
    Educational Goals: Go back to finish your degree, get your MBA, or read a good book every month.
    Family Goals: Plan one-on-one dates with your kids, have a standing date night with your spouse, or make it a point to call your mom and dad on Sunday nights.
    Career Goals: Work toward a promotion or raise, learn something new about your line of work, or polish up and send out resumés if you’re looking for a new career path.
    Social Goals: Say yes when someone invites you out to lunch or a social gathering—or, for some of us, say no more often.

I've modified this slightly ...

Organisation/Financial Goals -- Getting our taxes done and other paperwork in order.

Spiritual Goals -- I'd like to start attending church a bit more regularly. I'll also include relaxation and recreation in here. Down time. I get very little of that at the moment and need more. For me that might be sleep and photography. :)

Fitness Goals -- Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Working up to running 5 km at least a couple times a month. Working up to cycling 50 km at least once a month.

Educational Goals -- Uni! I would like to finish my Master's degree in 2020.

Family/Medical Goals -- Husband -- Never-ending stream of medical appointments + projects with 2 or 3 different organisations. And me! A goal is to get me into healthy shape again!

Career Goals -- One of the main things my area is planning to work on is streamlining the processes a bit. Meanwhile I need to learn a lot more SQL and as much about what 2 different people I work/worked with did. I'm also on the board of two organisations now. Both interest me a lot, but I'm also hoping that taking on leadership roles might help advance my career a little.

Social Goals -- Cycling Club. I've made a detailed list of what I need to do, which helps.
    -- My Personal Website -- I have started working on this. I'd post it here, but not sure if I can: machka . net This has a social aspect in that we go to Wordpress meetings now and then.

A little bit about me ...
    I'm Machka and I am in Tasmania, Australia. :)

Some of my favourite hobbies/sports/activities include:
    -- cycling
    -- walking
    -- hiking
    -- running
    -- reading
    -- working on my website
    -- photography

I bake, but don't cook, sew, knit, garden, etc.

Most of my day is spent working with health data, "attending" university (online now) working toward a Masters in IT, doing homework, and spending time with my husband (who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury 2 years ago) and new kitty, Rhody.

My husband is not able to work anymore, so one of his main activities is gardening. He works at that at his own pace and we've got quite a lovely garden of flowers, fruit and veggies.

This is Rhody ... an all black, 10-month old "domestic" who joined us just 3 months ago. :)

lzhl6a74e516.png

I joined MFP in February 2015 and promptly lost 15 kg, took a 1-month break, then lost another 11 kg. By Christmas 2015, I was down to a weight I hadn't seen in quite a few years ... since my early 30s.

In 2016, 2017 and the early part of 2018 I maintained while increasing my cycling. My sport, within cycling, is ultradistance cycling: Audax, Randonneuring, 24-hour races, etc.

Here's me in 2016 in Brisbane, QLD a couple days after cycling a 300 km event in 18 hours including all breaks.

vus7bcn66jq3.png

In late 2017 and early 2018, my husband and I were in great shape and feeling good. We were cycling events and on our own and building up the distances in the hopes of going to France in 2019 to ride the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 km event. We met on a Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003, and the 2019 one was going to be a bit of an anniversary trip.

And then on March 22, 2018, my husband had a very bad accident at work ... and life changed. He was in a coma for 3 weeks and post traumatic amnesia for 7 weeks and in hospital for 100 days. Then, a year after the accident, he had a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure which set him back. He'll never fully recover but he's doing better then they originally predicted.

He is cycling again but gets very tired so can't cycle consistently or for long distances.

Because cycling is something we've always done together, this means I'm not cycling the ultra long distances at this point either. In an attempt to boost my exercise we've set up a home gym, and I've got into running again. I hadn't run since I was in my late teens!

But all the time sitting at the hospital and dealing with the aspects of care for my husband, plus working, plus attending university has taken its toll on my weight and I don't look like that picture above anymore! :open_mouth: This year I have maintained my weight but I'd really like to lose a bit.

So that's me in a rather large nutshell. :)

July ...
    • Work
    • "Homework" regarding my husband's situation
    • Mother's surgery
    • My surgery - deviated septum and turbinate reduction
    • Recovery
    • Resuming Uni
  • Machka9
    edited July 2020
    I was finally able to get the link for the video I tried to share the other day. @Machka9 you should get a chuckle out of this for sure.
    https://youtu.be/37nGeXn2K9c

Love it!

I miss Canada.

Last time we were there was in 2017 at the same time as the 150th Canada Day celebration. We had a great time! Hiking up mountains, long bicycle rides, time with my parents and friends.

We were hoping to go again sometime in either 2018 or 2019, but of course, life intervened and we weren't able to go anywhere ... and now it looks like ... I don't know ... probably not till 2022 at the earliest.

I like Australia and Tasmania is OK, but I'm kind of itching to get back to Canada, at least for a visit.

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    gejlaf0eoeqb.jpeg
    tr3hef46bqo3.jpeg

Today having stuffing with corn y garlic butter
    Corn fried in garlic butter
    Crystal light tea
    1/2can Swanson chicken aka king 👑

Leaves me 100 some calories for snack later thinking of my cereal again so probably go over but nutrition wise I’ll just maintain again

Unsweetened almond milk 🥛
    Honey Nut Cheerios off brand
    Honey 🍯
    Toffee flavored granola on top

Amber Tx

Exercising

Snakes 🐍- The copperheads keep coming in through our backstory since we bought the home. Had to work on the door 🚪 to close gaps. Go out in the yard clear it. For awhile JR couldn’t play in the yard more on the concrete y a blow up pool.
    Texas I grew up with rattlesnakes everywhere even playing with a toy on the ground one would go past me. They were on grocery shelves even as a kid (different times sure now they got exterminators to other things no one did in my youth). I was born in the desert 🌵. kfj4savka8n7.jpeg
    This is my Grandma’s farm I played on as a kid rattlesnakes loved it . Uncle tried to plant grass recently it failed of course lol 😂 clay ground no rains is not grass friendly
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2020
    Michelle aka auntachelle: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Many of us have been here for several years. Others, like you, are new. Jump into the conversation whenever you like. :star:

Dawkson2017: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

(((Machka))): I’m so glad your DH is okay. :heart: I hope you’re able to make a visit back to Canada. The Covid situation has many of us locked into our communities, and I suspect it will be a while before any of us are able to travel long distances freely & with confidence. :ohwell:

Heather: Enjoy your day outside the house. I seem to be running perpetual errands. I wouldn’t mind a bit more home time. I hope we both find happy balances. :ohwell: I like Karen in VA’s comments to you. :heart:

(((Lisa))): What a miserable experience! I hope today, and every day, is an improvement. :star: You aren’t the only one who occasionally makes poor choices. I’m guilty from time to time, too. :ohwell:

Today is my daughter’s 41st birthday. We’ve already sent her gift & I’m hoping for a Zoom call later in the day.

NO DEER DAMAGE TODAY!!!! :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
    Stay safe and healthy
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,432 Member
    edited July 2020
    So yesterday I had pizza and this morning I am up .8 lbs which is nothing. I have had a little bit too much of a healthy portion and been up 4 lbs overnight. In the scheme of things, my scale isn't as important as how my clothes feel. The fact that my rings feel bigger. That's the concrete of it all.

So up at 6:30 am playing doctor to a sick son. Hopefully something that he ate. Hasn't actually gotten sick but had some waves of nausea last night. Poor kid has a 4 day weekend and he's lying on the couch. He doesn't want nothin. No extra blanket, no fever I just used our forehead scanner. So having him drink water, and husband is upstairs ( in his computer room which is his norm anyway). He has kept down 5 bites of plain toast so that's good.

Lisa, Lisa hugs friend! Deal with the devil indeed.😞

💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Well ladies
    I have some serious thinking to do...
    I have an opportunity to move somewhere I have always wanted to move. It would either be a 650 ft place or a 500 ft place with a 150 sq ft deck.. so definitely downsizing, but i can take Alfie and i can afford it..
    Sooooo i would be leaving friends and family ,my granddaughter and my kids but within a short hop to the beach...i would be renting not buying...would have to find some type of work there.. but I would love it down there.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    edited July 2020
    Happy Thursday to everyone! I took today off to have an extra long weekend. I have been working in the dining room since March but I packed everything up and put it in a corner for the long weekend so my house looks somewhat normal - just don’t look over in that corner okay?

Yesterday overall was a good day - finished work strong, cleaned the house, got in my steps and some cuddle time with my cat.

Today we are under a heat advisor but I need to get out into the garden for a bit, but will mostly be spending the day inside and likely go grocery shopping later in the day. Next two days will be filled with family visits and attempt to social distance which is hard with grandkids!

Oh we did buy a huge swinging saucer for the gkids (and us too!) and hubs will put it up today under a tree - I think they will LOVE it!!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Carla in MN
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »

Tina how did you hurt your backside? Tailbone injuries are sooo painful. Neither do I favor snakes in the yard but at least rattlesnakes warn you of their presence. When we visited Joe’s family in Kentucky I saw way too many snakes, they are swift, sneaky, silent and some of them swim [shudder].

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

Barbara, I don't really know how I did it. I think it's more than one injury. The sides of my thighs (along the IT band) hurt when I lie on my sides, just under my sit bones hurts, likely from some type of exercise I was doing. Possibly hamstring tendonitis. My hips were hurting, likely due to sitting in a non-ergonomic position for too long and for too often. I think I have that under control for now. And then I have this weird pain that feels like someone stuck a very sharp sword parallel to the ground right across the center of my rear-end, and it just hangs there. It is uncomfortable to lie on my back. Basically, there is no position I can sleep in that is comfortable.

All that said, I have stopped running, stopped walking/hiking up hills, and don't do leg exercises, except for calf muscle exercises. It's considerably better on all fronts, but still bothersome and my cardio options are very limited since most of it requires significant use of the legs.

Tina in CA