Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi all,

I'm starting OMAD in a couple of weeks. I have just started on ADHD meds and I find that my appetite is pretty absent during the day now anyway - sorry, I know that's not helpful for those people who don't have that tool but if it's any consolation, I'm taking it because I have Binge Eating Disorder rather than ADHD so it's won't be forever. So, I am still tracking what I eat for dinner and will probably also eat breakfast some day as when the meds stop, I want to have good habits in place so I don't fall straight back into old habits. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who is in the same situation - definitely looking for more friends to be able to discuss the OMAD lifestyle. Add me if you like - especially if you happen to be in Brisbane, Australia.

Hi, BoundaryQueen (love that name, btw).

Beware of attempting to fast when your appetite is absent. It tends to create unevenness when not done consistently and the hunger returns. When done consistently - and in opposition to normal hunger - it works best.

Welcome!
  • BoundaryQueen2020
    BoundaryQueen2020 Posts: 19 Member
    Hi all,

Hi, BoundaryQueen (love that name, btw).

Beware of attempting to fast when your appetite is absent. It tends to create unevenness when not done consistently and the hunger returns. When done consistently - and in opposition to normal hunger - it works best.

Welcome!

Thank you! Yes, it's all a bit unclear at the moment but I have fasted before - I did 16:8 pretty consistently for about 6 months and definitely got into the "habit" of it.
  • WithLoveRuthie
    WithLoveRuthie Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I am Ruthie,
    I started at 278 6/23/20
    5’4”
    Goal weight 180
    As of 7/11/20 I have lost 12 lbs :)

I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I started with IF because I love all types of foods and have a hard time restricting a specific food group. I lost 50 lbs 5 years ago with low carbs but gained it all back when I started to eat carbs again. So, I watched a fasting documentary and a light bulb when on in my head. It is way easier to know I can eat what I want but I have to plan it in one meal! I started with the 16/8 IF but after 3 days figured it was easier if I had one meal to plan and less temptations to resist. So far I make it to my meal easily, I don’t get hungry while drinking a lot of water and I enjoy a delicious meal with dessert if I feel like it. It is easier for me to know that if I start to crave cake or a dessert all I have to do is way until tomorrow and eat it! I feel like I finally have freedom to eat. I have a long road ahead but I feel I can do it.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Welcome Ruthie!!! Good work so far!!!
  • LadyBlanks
    LadyBlanks Posts: 1,070 Member
    Welcome Ruthie! OMAD is a great way of eating. I am sure you will do well. Welcome to the group, it is great here.
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Welcome Ruthie! I second all you said. I can restrict food groups only so long and then I end up where I started. I love looking forward to my meal without any guilt. This is the only plan that lets me lose weight without thinking it's a diet. Continued success to you & you have already done great!
  • arguablysamson
    Hi, Ruthie!
  • bebdinosaur
    bebdinosaur Posts: 16 Member
    Hello all! I am Jessica
    I am 5'6" and currently 194lbs.
    I started following OMAD this time around on 7/16/2020 with a starting weight of 196. My goal is to get down to 135. A couple years ago, I did OMAD with great success only to be derailed by typical life events. I found it works for me as I enjoy eating large meals without bothering to plan for the other meals people typically eat. On days I manage to preoccupy myself with things other than food, I find I will naturally fast until dinner time. I want to make this my daily habit. I am tired of being both physically and mentally uncomfortable with my extra weight. Here's hoping this time works.
  • arguablysamson
    Hello all! I am Jessica
    I am 5'6" and currently 194lbs.
    I started following OMAD this time around on 7/16/2020 with a starting weight of 196. My goal is to get down to 135. A couple years ago, I did OMAD with great success only to be derailed by typical life events. I found it works for me as I enjoy eating large meals without bothering to plan for the other meals people typically eat. On days I manage to preoccupy myself with things other than food, I find I will naturally fast until dinner time. I want to make this my daily habit. I am tired of being both physically and mentally uncomfortable with my extra weight. Here's hoping this time works.

Hi, Jessica!

It's nice and very often more effective to not plan, but to just eat and be done! Way to go!

-Joe
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Hi Jessica. Sounds like you got this in the bag. I too love not having to shop and plan for another two meals everyday. You did it before and you can do it again :)
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Hi jessica!!! Sounds like a great plan!!!
  • pandygirl1
    pandygirl1 Posts: 87 Member
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to your group, looking forward to learning from you all.
    Name: Karla
    Height: 6'0
    Heaviest: 400
    Current: 287.4
    Ultimate goal: 200 (see how I feel when I get there)
    OMAD Time: 12:00-5:00 pm
    (I don't like to eat real late)

I have been eating one meal a day, on and off for a long time. Starting next week I will be doing only one meal a day.
    Another reason for me to eat this way is because I have a lot of serious health issues, eating one meal a day allows your body time to process what you've eating and to be able to rest between meals.
    I didn't even know there was a group for OMAD people, until someone in another group mentioned it.
  • arguablysamson
    Welcome, Karla!
  • MARILYNENA
    MARILYNENA Posts: 53 Member
    Hi I'm Nena, was stuck on 263# but now I finally lost weight 6# started OMAD with a window 3-4pm I am also doing keto with the variation of the Ridiculous Big Salad (with protein) I can't believe I have started to lose wt! I also do 8k walk every day! Wish me luck!
  • hello7108
    hello7108 Posts: 14 Member
    Hello everyone

Height. 5'0
    SW 6/15. 179 lbs
    CW 8/4. 158 lbs
    GW. 110 lbs

I stared MFP and 3 years ago. Lost 20 lbs with traditional calorie counting. Then my mind shifted from wanting to loss weight to being overall healthier. Came across IF and 6 months in I was able to do almost 72 hours water fasting. Lost more weight. Down to 140 lowest I have been in years. Never got to my goal weight. In fact I was 25lbs away. But felt amazing. Life happen and over the course of 14 months or so gained all the weight back. Decided to try IF again 16:8 on 6/12 and now OMAD since 7/1.
    Last 3 weeks I have not been strict OMAD but manage 3-4 times a week on OMAD.
  • arguablysamson
    Welcome!
  • Illicitlitmisfit
    Illicitlitmisfit Posts: 11 Member
    name: Autumn :3

...weight: 122

... height: 5'3-4

...any past struggles you've faced or are facing- lets go alll the struggles gorl lol so I've had anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, excessive exercising problems, anxiety, schizophrenia, major depression, addictions but food has been the worst somehow... hahahaha :p wild rides yea. after being wit bullshet bois calling me disgusting im ready for a real @ss revenge bod, something to drool over ya kno, i was over weight my whole childhood (like 164 at 12) so i feel insecure for not being "tight" but i got the collagen for now so how abouts lezzz do thisssss

...weight goal : ideal range for me is 111-117 lbs

...OMAD meal : 7:30pm

...OMAD start date: today August 8, 2020
    onto day 2...
    This OMAD thing is roughhhh, idk how yall doooo it! im pretty active, do a lil routine in the morning and cardio at noon, my minds always abuzzing prolly burnin more than my runs could ever! But after finding no success in limiting my 3 meals a day to 250-350 calories and too scared to try any longer fasts OMAD seems the best option. My research has shown that insulin is a fat burnin inhibitor and my small but frequent meals had been destroying my chances of blastin the fat!! >:'( so ill take the day dreaming about food and need to distract myself for finally a fully satisfying meal thats balanced in macros like a present ive been longing for since the second i fall asleep after my last meal to when i wake up to the hour before i know its coming hahahaha, seriously i love food, props to yall stomachs of steel!also plz help i needa buddyyy :3<3
  • arguablysamson
    name: Autumn :3

...weight: 122

... height: 5'3-4

...any past struggles you've faced or are facing- lets go alll the struggles gorl lol so I've had anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, excessive exercising problems, anxiety, schizophrenia, major depression, addictions but food has been the worst somehow... hahahaha :p wild rides yea. after being wit bullshet bois calling me disgusting im ready for a real @ss revenge bod, something to drool over ya kno, i was over weight my whole childhood (like 164 at 12) so i feel insecure for not being "tight" but i got the collagen for now so how abouts lezzz do thisssss

...weight goal : ideal range for me is 111-117 lbs

...OMAD meal : 7:30pm

...OMAD start date: today August 8, 2020
    onto day 2...
    This OMAD thing is roughhhh, idk how yall doooo it! im pretty active, do a lil routine in the morning and cardio at noon, my minds always abuzzing prolly burnin more than my runs could ever! But after finding no success in limiting my 3 meals a day to 250-350 calories and too scared to try any longer fasts OMAD seems the best option. My research has shown that insulin is a fat burnin inhibitor and my small but frequent meals had been destroying my chances of blastin the fat!! >:'( so ill take the day dreaming about food and need to distract myself for finally a fully satisfying meal thats balanced in macros like a present ive been longing for since the second i fall asleep after my last meal to when i wake up to the hour before i know its coming hahahaha, seriously i love food, props to yall stomachs of steel!also plz help i needa buddyyy :3<3

Hi, welcome.

Your goal right now, based on my reading the challenges you have described, should be lessening your activity levels and clearing your mind. Remove the stress and put yourself in the most mono-focused headset you can achieve. You can do it, but the key will be managing focus and not short-circuiting, but mainly, consistency.

-Joe
  • Illicitlitmisfit
    Illicitlitmisfit Posts: 11 Member
    @arguablysamson thanks so much for the advice! being focused on the right things is def what i need to... well... focus on haha! day 3 and just had some health issues arise (not due to this) and have been feeling down, way stressed and so over it. But ill stick to mono-mealing hehehe. yesterday i was able to get my macros into the mostly fats and felt a huge difference with that! I feel the fat being used up guyssss lol nah over reactin i guess :p but still i cant tell the difference and even dropped a pound. It may be water weight tho. i still have at least 5 more pounds to go, the hard part is being able to tell if its fat u lost!

Also question for all of you guys! Is OMAD something you advise people to stick with? Like, is it something to utilize just to get into your weight range and maintain by eating normally but then very healthy?

Because already im planning to do OMAD for just a week or so, and then resume my small meals, slowly increasing calories but working out harder so i can get my energy back and build the muscle i need for my activities. I thought it would be easier honestly! Now idk :o
  • lessfatdad
    lessfatdad Posts: 7 Member
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Gerrit. My current weight is 420 lbs. (6’3”) down form over 460 in March. My goal weight is 200-240 lbs. I have lost a lot of weight (120+ lbs) a few years ago and gain it all back and then some. I am just stating OMAD today and will be eating supper between 5 and 7 depending on my kid’s schedules. I have been doing low carb since March and been trying a 4:20 IF (basically 2 meal in a 4 hour period).