For the love of Produce...

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I've been trying different ways of keeping cilantro in a fresh state. In the past just keeping a bunch in a glass of water worked, but not lately. So my experimenting produced best results when herbs are put in the tupperware container wrapped in paper towels. Honestly, all my greens stored with paper towels lining their bags or tubs, whatever it comes in. It lasts well like that. I buy a lot of produce every week, and i eat a lot of it raw, so keeping it nice, fresh and crispy is very desirable.

I normally roll coriander and mint in a small face cloth or tea towel and store in the vegetable drawer. Not sure how optimal this actually is. At any rate it cuts down on single use plastics.

Thank you, sounds like a good way. I reuse all plastic bags, so I'm not too terrible, i hope. Even single use bags tend to last a while, and ziplock bags last for at least a year.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,599 Member
    Hardier herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, I keep in ziplocks bags in the freezer. I pop my used ziplock bags turned inside out in the dishwasher so try to re-use them too.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    I've been trying different ways of keeping cilantro in a fresh state. In the past just keeping a bunch in a glass of water worked, but not lately. So my experimenting produced best results when herbs are put in the tupperware container wrapped in paper towels. Honestly, all my greens stored with paper towels lining their bags or tubs, whatever it comes in. It lasts well like that. I buy a lot of produce every week, and i eat a lot of it raw, so keeping it nice, fresh and crispy is very desirable.

I normally roll coriander and mint in a small face cloth or tea towel and store in the vegetable drawer. Not sure how optimal this actually is. At any rate it cuts down on single use plastics.
    Love this!
  • purplefizzy

Thank you, sounds like a good way. I reuse all plastic bags, so I'm not too terrible, i hope. Even single use bags tend to last a while, and ziplock bags last for at least a year.

I actually do a hybrid. Wrapped in lightweight towel. Then stored in a regular gallon zip bag. Re-used a bunch. They are hard to kill.
  • purplefizzy
    fn3ol6w5ohf9.jpeg

Recent weird but good salad worth pausing to capture:)
  • purplefizzy
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    hpyp18bfqf2y.jpg
    jjr24vitu2an.jpg
    hgmys9a5sca6.jpg

These are njust pictures I found that looked divine and the herbs for health

UM...just pure curiosity, who disagrees and with what? lol??

Hi. Wrong thread!
    This is uniting over produce.
    Not dividing.

Go check out the appropriate forums for debate.

Thanks!
  • purplefizzy
    These might be the last artichokes of the season.
    6391b1oh7j0j.jpeg

These are beautiful.

I’m produce grumpy lately because my soil and conditions are awful. Even my homegrown stuff is struggling to just survive this heat.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,599 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Have you got a favourite way to prepare carrots that doesn't involve the oven?

My favourite thing to do is to roast with a glaze of harissa, maple syrup and lemon but now that the weather is warm I don't really want to turn on the oven.

I sometimes make carrot rapees (=grated carrot salad) or quick asian pickled spiralized carrots. New ideas would be welcome .

Shred them with apples and drizzle in something acidic and oil. Beautiful and refreshing.

Thanks. This reminds me I used to make SE Asian green papaya and green mango salads with a combination of of spiralized carrots and granny smith because green tropical fruit is a pretty hard to find where I am. I've got some leftover SE Asian salad dressing languishing in the fridge and can use that up.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    8pf72l995n20.jpg
    Salad and tofu make up my dinner tonight. All vegan and yummy.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,152 Member
    I picked some more beets yesterday. They were on the small side, and even though it's been relatively cool, I decided NOT to run the oven. I had run it a little in the morning to cook some non-produce items, and I didn't mind the warmth.

So I boiled them, wiped off their skins, and added some black pepper and balsamic. Oh, I had forgot how good vinegar beets are. mmmmm. I put some on a big salad that included half of the first cucumber from my garden and one of the last radishes that isn't woody yet. The lettuce won't last much longer if the heat comes back.

Sorry - no pictures. It was too tasty to wait a moment to take one. Use your imagination. Yeah. It looked like THAT! If you can imagine how good it tasted, you'll smile.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I picked some more beets yesterday. They were on the small side, and even though it's been relatively cool, I decided NOT to run the oven. I had run it a little in the morning to cook some non-produce items, and I didn't mind the warmth.

So I boiled them, wiped off their skins, and added some black pepper and balsamic. Oh, I had forgot how good vinegar beets are. mmmmm. I put some on a big salad that included half of the first cucumber from my garden and one of the last radishes that isn't woody yet. The lettuce won't last much longer if the heat comes back.

Sorry - no pictures. It was too tasty to wait a moment to take one. Use your imagination. Yeah. It looked like THAT! If you can imagine how good it tasted, you'll smile.

I cooked some beetroot in the pressure cooker whole with skins on yesterday too. The skins slip right off when done. Diced and mixed with sour cream, little mayo, celery salt, garlic powder, chopped dill and spring onions from the garden. Delicious!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Went to my favorite small outdoor farmers market today, in the rain, for the first time in a while. I thought I'd gotten a snap of the whole haul before I put it away, but I guess I didn't.

Curly kale, red amaranth, mixed summer squash (kousa, zukes, yellow), garlic scapes, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, radishes, Hakurei turnips, some cheese (mozzarella and a whole ultra-ripe camembert) from a local creamery, farm eggs, and maybe some things I'm forgetting. I'll be eating this haul of yum for days! (One of the things I like about market produce is how well it keeps.)

Also picked up a rich and delicious lunch from the Picnic food truck**: Marinated panko-coated fried tofu sandwich with greens, pickles, aioli; side of fried brussels sprouts with goat cheese, lemon, pomegranate seeds.

Doesn't the amaranth look pretty in the dappled sunshine from my kitchen window? (Bonus photobomb by one of those ripe tomatoes, down in the sink.)

ju34uhuhwkjr.jpg

** Chuckled at the food truck guy, who was popping out of the truck periodically to deliver food boxes to the vendor tents . . . with a big ol' flappy corrugated cardboard box on his head as protection from the rain. :lol:
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,152 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Next time add finely shaved fennel and fennel seed ;)

I had already eaten the fennel my neighbors gave me.... To be honest, they needed nothing else. They were fantastic. Tonight was another boring big huge fresh greens salad with the other half of my first cucumber and a grilled top sirloin steak. It's not produce, but it goes really nicely with produce. I need to cut a couple more lettuce plants tomorrow; warm weather is coming. They look so lovely. I'll try to remember to get a picture tomorrow.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    @AnnPT77
    How do you use the garlic scapes and Hakurei turnip?
  • AnnPT77
    @AnnPT77
    How do you use the garlic scapes and Hakurei turnip?

Garlic scapes: Stir fries, chopped up in omelets/scrambled eggs, soups/stews or pasta sauce, etc. If you stand back really far and squint (metaphorically speaking) you could think of it as a sort of scallion (just a little bit tougher so better IMO with some light cooking) only garlic flavored. People do other things with them (battered/deep fried, fritters, pesto, pickled . . . ), but I don't fuss that much for my home meals. People also grill them, which sounds good, but I don't have a grill.

Hakurei turnip: These are so mild, tender, with IMO a lovely subtle flavor, so I like to eat them raw. Can be in any type of salad, or just as crudites. They can be cooked, but are so tender that (again, IMO) they aren't that fabulous roasted (unlike their more normal reddish turnip kin) - they get very soft and kind of creamy, which is OK, but IMO not as good as raw. Quick cooked, basically just heated, like in stir-fry, is OK. But for me, raw. The tops can be used like any other turnip green, if nice and fresh and tender.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I haven't tried it yet, but I met someone who raved about pesto made with garlic scapes. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015301-garlic-scape-pesto
  • AnnPT77
    Actual meal with some of the farmers market haul: Chickpea linguini with sauteed garlic scapes & amaranth (plus a little home-grated parm reg and red wine vinegar); plate of raw tomatoes, sugar snap peas, radishes, Hakurei turnips. I like how the amaranth turns the linguini an alarming neon magenta color (it's a little less violent color in the photo than in real life). :lol:
    nhlkntayyulz.jpg

Eaten with a slice of fresh homemade (but not by me) whole wheat sage bread.