• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    @FeelinFooFoo Loved your photos!!! <3
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Beautiful pics @FeelinFooFoo 💗
  • RubyRed427
    Good morning! It's Sober Sunday in the midwest. So happy I didn't drink last night on Fourth of July because today I have a massage. Will not be going to it hungover! How's everyone's weekend? <3
  • RubyRed427
    @donimfp We look forward to hearing what the program entails. I imagine it will be quite motivating and eye opening. Please share any thing you learn!
    @FeelinFooFoo Lovely idea to have a spa day at home. I feel for your brother. I was him many many times. Sundays suck when you're hungover. He will learn with your help and love. I agree with @donimfp seeing him suffer makes our resolve even stronger.
  • RubyRed427
    I <3 sober_celebrities on Instagram- Motivation!
    Sober Celebrity Stories!
    ♠️ 𝐒𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐁𝐒 “𝙱𝙴𝚈𝙾𝙽𝙳 𝙸𝙽𝚂𝙿𝙸𝚁𝙸𝙽𝙶”
    ♥️ 𝙲𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚐𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚣𝚎 𝚊𝚍𝚍𝚒𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗
    ♣️ 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚜𝚞𝚏𝚏𝚎𝚛𝚜.
    ♦️𝒜𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝒹𝒹𝒾𝒸𝓉𝓈 𝒾𝓃 𝓇𝑒𝒸𝑜𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓎 𝒶𝓇𝑒
  • RubyRed427
    edited July 2020
    I remember about three years ago... or maybe four. I was in a fancy rooftop bar. The bartender kept bringing me drinks even when I didn't ask. I remember drinking down martinis like they were water. Then, I saw myself from above. I was having probably an outer body experience... and I remember thinking. "Who are you? Why can't you stop drinking? Why does he keep bringing you more? ...." It was one of several aha moments in my life. It was the realization that I am not like my friends. I am not normal. I have an addiction and the only way to stop is to just accept it I have no off switch. Not wish I could drink. Not hope I will be able to in the future. Just accept reality. I cannot stop once I start. So, it's a pretty easy decision for me. Do I want to live my life regretting my decisions, risking my life and organs, waking up wanting to die? NO No NO. I don't want that life. I am totally in control of my decisions. There is such peace in accepting yourself for what you are. Thanks for listening! :)<3
  • RubyRed427
    One last post before I take a break from posting: I am posting a lot lately because I am BORED. But it's a good bored. <3
    xtj3cru1oy1n.jpg
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    edited July 2020
    @RubyRed427 your comment re: No OFF switch, reminded me of watching The Fifth Estate on YouTube (Canadian news docu-type show) It was entitled, "The Pour ~ Treating Alcoholics with Wine" It is a residential treatment facility, The Oaks, for chronic alcoholics who have failed several attempts at conventional treatment programs. Every hour the residents line up to get their "pour" of a prescribed amount of homemade wine made on site...from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. every hour on the hour. Being served up to 3 bottles of wine over the course of 14 hours...it was a very interesting account of how these people are actually regulated and able to have some kind of a life, keeps them off of the streets, they are dispensed their medications regularly, fed healthy food regularly and have a social life within the home. It is funded in part by the residents through whatever $$ they have coming in. The commentator asked the doctor who created and facillitates this program about the 3 bottles of wine that residents drink in a day...certainly that can't be good for a person? he says. Of course it isn't, says the doctor...it will kill them BUT this way they can die with dignity...death is inevitable for these ones, but it is how they die that is the difference between leaving them to their disease on the street and giving them a hand up to house & treat them...they also had a law enforcement officer talking about the drain alcoholism takes on emergency resources and how this program has actually eliminated the drain with some of these hard-core alcoholics being taken care of because they are off the streets and their drinking is monitored so they don't get crazy drunk and into all types of criminal behavior. The residents do not get intoxicated, if there are any signs of them being so, it is addressed by holding off their next "pour" longer....it just keeps them from being sick and allows them to function within their disease...as I watched this show it saddened me tremendously to see the toll that alcohol can have on people's lives...most of these people were at rock bottom in a big way, losing their families, friends, homes, jobs etc before they were offerred this treatment option, but to me their lives are still in the toilet...better than they were but not great by any means. YET, this is the hold that alcohol has on those of us who have a problem. As we know here, there are varying degrees, but it all leads to one thing...unhappiness in varying degrees and eventually it WILL kill us! sooner or later! and it most cases make us very sick until we die. The temporary escape & buzz is not worth it!

ON that note, have a happy, healthy AF day!! <3
  • RubyRed427
    @FeelinFooFoo I will keep posting; it keeps me sane :)

I remember being his age and binging. I would not drink daily - just binge when I went out with friends. It may take awhile for him to learn, but in the meantime at least he has your guidance, empathy and awareness. I didn't have anyone to tell me " this is a problem when you binge or can't stop". I had to learn over and over again.

You had such a wonderful day at Fort William. I will have to look it up to see what it is all about.

My 19 year old daughter went camping this weekend; I packed a bunch of ibuprofen, tummy medicine and ginger ale for her just in case they were drinking. I didn't want her to feel sick. Sometimes, I am petrified thinking if either of my grown kids have my drinking issues. But I have told them several times about my issues; no beating around the bush. I told them just be aware that alcoholism runs in my Russian family.

• RubyRed427
    @aroze0928 I have a 22 year old son and a 19 year old daughter. My daughter has anxiety (but is on meds) and I feel that that has been one of the reasons I turned to alcohol year ago. Anyway, I agree with you as a parent to tell our children the lessons we have learned and about the familial patterns of alcoholism/heavy drinking that run in our family.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    This book may have been mentioned here before, but if it was, I missed it. I'm reading "Mrs. D. Goes Without" by Lotta Dann. I'm finding it delightful and insightful. It's her account of mostly the process of quitting drinking, with just a little of her background, which is fairly tame. She was a drinker like many of us--keeping it together well with job, kids, etc., but drinking way too much. I've read a good bit of "Quit Lit," and I'm enjoying this light read very much. I bought the Kindle version after reading the almost unanimous 5-star reviews on Amazon.