Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/06/cdc-after-10-week-decline-in-covid-19-deaths-it-may-soon-no-longer-be-an-epidemic/

I am starting to see why some may think this pandemic is going away based on headlines like the above.

Clearly death numbers lag the infection rate by 2+ weeks so while it may be factual COVID-19 death rates may be in decline but we know in the USA at least the infection rate is higher than ever in this 2020 Pandemic so we can expect death rates to soar instead of decline.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/06/cdc-after-10-week-decline-in-covid-19-deaths-it-may-soon-no-longer-be-an-epidemic/

I am starting to see why some may think this pandemic is going away based on headlines like the above.

Clearly death numbers lag the infection rate by 2+ weeks so while it may be factual COVID-19 death rates may be in decline but we know in the USA at least the infection rate is higher than ever in this 2020 Pandemic so we can expect death rates to soar instead of decline.

I hope not, Gale.

I want to think that we have also got better at treating it. I hope the death rate per active cases is better. Early on, we had no
    Idea how to treat it. Hopefully we’ve learned a little along the way.

• GaleHawkins
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    It is hard to understand why we have maxed out being even able to test for COVID-19 or free ICU beds just as we see the 2020 Pandemic impact the southern states coast to coast for the first time in these numbers.

Yes the USA has many wrongs that need to be righted but if we put them in front of meaningful addressing our COVID-19 runaway pandemic for two more months we are going to double wrong many people in the USA perhaps for the last time.

I don't disagree that dealing with the pandemic is crucially important, but I'm not sure why it has -- in your view -- only become so now, vs. in months past.

That might stem from a lack of a factual understanding of my actions over the past 5 months concerning preventing COVID-19 in my family. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    edited July 2020

I hope not, Gale.

I want to think that we have also got better at treating it. I hope the death rate per active cases is better. Early on, we had no

@corinasue1143 I get what you are saying and agree we have learned more than a little along the way. While isolation is the best think to keep from getting the virus we also have learned ways of lowering the risks of getting and dying from COVID-19.

https://henryford.com/news/2020/07/hydro-treatment-study

https://uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/vitamin-d-deficiency-may-raise-risk-of-getting-covid19

https://cnet.com/news/living-with-masks-for-years-covid-19-through-the-eyes-of-a-pandemic-expert/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited July 2020
    It is hard to understand why we have maxed out being even able to test for COVID-19 or free ICU beds just as we see the 2020 Pandemic impact the southern states coast to coast for the first time in these numbers.

Yes the USA has many wrongs that need to be righted but if we put them in front of meaningful addressing our COVID-19 runaway pandemic for two more months we are going to double wrong many people in the USA perhaps for the last time.

I don't disagree that dealing with the pandemic is crucially important, but I'm not sure why it has -- in your view -- only become so now, vs. in months past.

That might stem from a lack of a factual understanding of my actions over the past 5 months concerning preventing COVID-19 in my family. :)

No, it stemmed from your own writing. Specifically:

(1) "Nick Cordero's story should be a wake up call in the USA especially in light of the above article."

Yet there have been stories about younger people getting COVID very badly and even dying from it since the beginning.

(2) "It is hard to understand why we have maxed out being even able to test for COVID-19 or free ICU beds just as we see the 2020 Pandemic impact the southern states coast to coast for the first time in these numbers."

We were maxing out on those things from the beginning. Did it not matter when it didn't affect certain states all that much yet? We actually have far more tests and are doing far more tests now than before, and had we only been able to test more at the beginning we likely would have been able to do things like contact trace more effectively before it was totally out of control (which happened months ago).

(3) "Yes the USA has many wrongs that need to be righted but if we put them in front of meaningful addressing our COVID-19 runaway pandemic for two more months we are going to double wrong many people in the USA perhaps for the last time."

Again, how was this--specifically, that we should not wait two more months before meaningfully addressing the coronavirus epidemic--not true before now? (I don't think we were "waiting" but assuming you think we aren't doing enough even now re the testing and so on mentioned above.)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    Stuff I can’t get that I need: chickpeas. Seriously, is there some deal with chickpeas? No one locally has had any in stock for months now.

SAME HERE!! (Sorry to be out of sequence. I'm just catching up on the thread)
    Dry and canned! for months!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Stuff I can’t get that I need: chickpeas. Seriously, is there some deal with chickpeas? No one locally has had any in stock for months now.

SAME HERE!! (Sorry to be out of sequence. I'm just catching up on the thread)
    Dry and canned! for months!

Lol.

I just got a coupon for free hummus at my regular grocer.

There may be a delivery issue. Sabra seems to have cornered the chickpeas if they're giving it away. :lol:
  • GaleHawkins

No, it stemmed from your own writing. Specifically:

(1) "Nick Cordero's story should be a wake up call in the USA especially in light of the above article."

Yet there have been stories about younger people getting COVID very badly and even dying from it since the beginning.

(2) "It is hard to understand why we have maxed out being even able to test for COVID-19 or free ICU beds just as we see the 2020 Pandemic impact the southern states coast to coast for the first time in these numbers."

We were maxing out on those things from the beginning. Did it not matter when it didn't affect certain states all that much yet? We actually have far more tests and are doing far more tests now than before, and had we only been able to test more at the beginning we likely would have been able to do things like contact trace more effectively before it was totally out of control (which happened months ago).

(3) "Yes the USA has many wrongs that need to be righted but if we put them in front of meaningful addressing our COVID-19 runaway pandemic for two more months we are going to double wrong many people in the USA perhaps for the last time."

Again, how was this--specifically, that we should not wait two more months before meaningfully addressing the coronavirus epidemic--not true before now? (I don't think we were "waiting" but assuming you think we aren't doing enough even now re the testing and so on mentioned above.)

Early projections were for as many as 2 million people world wide to die from COVID-19. I just do no get the shortage 6 months later of PPP and testing capacity. Ignoring COVID-19 only makes it worse.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member

Given that so many of the deaths have been in nursing homes (70% in PA), and so many of the new cases are among the young, it makes sense that the death rate would be less now than it was earlier. The old have a lot of other health issues that make getting Covid more likely to be a death sentence. The younger may have long term health issues, but are a lot less likely to die. Also, as testing becomes more widespread, they are seeing a lot more cases that aren't severe, unlike the early days where you had to be really sick before you could get a test.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Ran into a friend I hadn't seen for a couple months at the store. He said he was one month out from a heart attack and a stent put in. He said he was going to cardiac rehab. Asked me if I had been in out gym yet, he was planning on going back (I assume with his doctor's okay) and doing some spin classes.

It's tough to decided what is okay/an acceptable risk in this environment.

He’s so lucky he got into a hospital and got it taken care of. Wish him the best. Around here he may not have been admitted to a hospital.

For sure, we're in Central IL so not a real hotbed at this point.
  • GaleHawkins
    https://cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/spain-coronavirus-antibody-study-lancet-intl/index.html

This does not sound positive countries like Sweden or perhaps vaccination solutions in general but that is not exactly new news.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

I hope not, Gale.

I'm also hoping that at an individual level, those most at risk of serious complications and death have learned to stay home as much as possible and stay away from those who won't wear masks around other people. The decreasing average age of new cases in Florida gives me hope that this might be the case -- that it's the people who still think it won't be a big deal for them who are engaging in behavior that increases their risk of catching the virus. If so, that should lower the percentage of serious cases, hospitalizations, and deaths per active cases.