5X5 Back Squat (80-85% max)
    4X8 RDL (75% Max)
    4X8 Forward Lunges
    4X8 Hack Squat (75% Max)
    4X20 Calf Raises (75% Max)
    3X20 Hip Adduction Machine
    3X12 Ab Crunches
    30 Minute Moderate Walk
    I just finished with a month of a 5X5 program that was whole body 3 days a week. Can say that this kicked my butt this morning given the focus, but feels great. Add in 20 min of mobility work and it was a solid day of work.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Total Gym TV and crossrope. Total gym I am obsessed and in pain
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    For any of my out of work or friends with more time...is anyone else bored exercising?

I exercise every day and sometimes when I am not feeling it, the sessions seem to last forever. I hate those days! haha and I am semi-retired so I have all the time in the world.

Kind of lol but what else is there to do??
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    dsc84 wrote: »
    Leg Day :smile:
    4X8 RDL (75% Max)
    4X8 Forward Lunges
    4X8 Hack Squat (75% Max)
    3X12 Ab Crunches
    30 Minute Moderate Walk
    I just finished with a month of a 5X5 program that was whole body 3 days a week. Can say that this kicked my butt this morning given the focus, but feels great. Add in 20 min of mobility work and it was a solid day of work.

Hi. Hopefully you can answer this for me, or someone else can. When I have a 'leg day' my legs are really sore about 2 days later. Same thing with my arms when I have an 'arm' focused day. I'm still trying to figure out how to break up my workouts if I go to the gym 5 days a week (hopefully I can keep this up). When my muscles get sore, they stay sore for about 2 or 3 days. So, what I was thinking of doing was doing legs on Mondays and Tuesdays, back to back and arms on Wednesdays and Thursdays. That way my muscles will have time to recover until the following week. Does this plan make sense or do any damage by doing it 2 days in a row? Not sure if you know, just thought I would ask.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    Couple of walks at work, followed by a very short bike ride.
  • neilblackburn
    neilblackburn Posts: 15 Member
    @tegass1994 well done for getting out there!! every first step is the hardest you got this!
    run 5km (improving my time)
    ring dips and push ups
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    A run and then loads of cardio, box jumps, burpees and glute work.
  • lucidchroma
    lucidchroma Posts: 57 Member
    Press to handstand, l-sit to handstand. Also had fun practicing tuck planche to slow dance sorta leg movements in old Blink 182 songs. Started at 2 in the morning, ended at around 5. How time flies.
  • BreezyWerner
    BreezyWerner Posts: 24 Member
    Yesterday was LIIFT4 leg day. Today is a BJJ class. Doing no gi during the summer. Too darn hot with gi.
  • miriams76
    miriams76 Posts: 138 Member
    I did an hour of Jillian Michaels HIIT workouts in the morning and then went to the gym in the evening (they’ve reopened here in Sydney... for now) and did a Krissy Cela workout focusing on chest and upper body. Then I made an 8 week review vlog - have lost almost 15lbs in that time.
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    I went to use my bike the other day and the handlebars fell off. I didn't end up working out. This is why I have trust issues lol. Luckily it was an easy fix.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    dsc84 wrote: »
    Leg Day :smile:
    4X8 RDL (75% Max)
    4X8 Forward Lunges
    4X8 Hack Squat (75% Max)
    3X12 Ab Crunches
    30 Minute Moderate Walk

Hi. Hopefully you can answer this for me, or someone else can. When I have a 'leg day' my legs are really sore about 2 days later. Same thing with my arms when I have an 'arm' focused day. I'm still trying to figure out how to break up my workouts if I go to the gym 5 days a week (hopefully I can keep this up). When my muscles get sore, they stay sore for about 2 or 3 days. So, what I was thinking of doing was doing legs on Mondays and Tuesdays, back to back and arms on Wednesdays and Thursdays. That way my muscles will have time to recover until the following week. Does this plan make sense or do any damage by doing it 2 days in a row? Not sure if you know, just thought I would ask.

For me I'll be sore typically 2 days later too at least when I'm starting a new program like I am. DOMS is real. (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) However, after getting used to the movements it gets better for me typically. To alleviate the soreness I hydrate like crazy- water, water, water, more water, and still more water, and movement/stretching/foam rolling helps. The soreness is caused by the build up of lactic Acid. Water helps flush it, and the movement etc. helps break it up so that it leaves the body.

I would say that you don't have to be concerned about damage by splitting up your leg or arm day. Prior to this program I was doing something legs everyday and had minimal to no soreness depending on how heavy I lifted/pushed myself. There may be more benefit for you to break it up. You could split up your program however you want, and if leg day is holding you back, then just do a leg exercise every time you workout. You'll still get the training in, and you won't have an intense focus on it which would help.

I guess I would suggest that you decide on the exercises you want to do, and instead of focusing on a body part (legs, arms, back, chest, shoulders) I would pick 1 or 2 exercises for the body part for the daily routine. I used to train legs every day, but wanted a change recently. An example of one day when I did whole body would be:

Back Squats (Legs)
    Seated Calf Raises (Legs)
    Overhead Press (SHoulders)
    Alternating Dumbbell curls (Biceps/Arms)
    Tricep pull downs (Triceps/Arms)
    Seated Cable Row (Back)
    Bench Press (Chest)
    Something Core

Depending on the time you have you could cut/add exercises. But doing this if something is overly sore you can pinpoint what was the cause (bad form, over exertion, new movement, etc.) Unless your goal is to be a body builder (and even then it's not necessarily true) you don't have to focus on a body part/isolate. Either way you can break up your exercises however you want. I would suggest if you do one exercise that you don't repeat it the next day but either do a variation of it (example back squat vs. Front Squat) or do two totally different exercises on each of the days (Example Squats vs. Lunges).

Personally I would split the arms/legs if you wouldn't do a whole body but split legs to two days and arms to two days I would do legs like Monday/Thursday and Arms Tuesday/Friday. Personally I like a rest in between my splits. You have to do what feels best for you. Whats key is that you are exercising. Either way you shouldn't be concerned about injury/damage, unless you are overexerting yourself. Listen to your body, and if you need a rest day take it.

Hope that helps.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2020
    Went outside to row today -- 89F at 5 AM, so I decided to just Warmup on the rower for 5 minutes. Went back inside in the A/C and did 20 90 second intervals on the AD Pro Bike with 1 minute rests. Was trying to get close to 90% max HR on each interval. HR dropped down nicely in the 60 seconds pretty much every time. Around 760 calories for the bike workout (50 minutes).

Held around 340 to 360 Watts on the early intervals and was fading at the end to just over 300 Watts on the last few.
  • JustSomeEm
    So far today was a 27.75 mile bike ride, but I *think* hubby may be planning to ride later, and I may go with him if it isn't too dang hot.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Got back into my weight training today. Took some time off due to a nasty staph infection in my finger that really sidelined me for a good week, then took a few days to enjoy my holiday weekend. ;)

TODAY: 3 rounds of weight training
    YESTERDAY: 3 mile run
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2020
    tegass1994 wrote: »
    Today I went running. For the first time this year. Only to realise how out of shape I am.

My goal was to run a mile non stop. For me it's a real challenge because my cardio sucks and I have zero endurance.

I failed miserably. I ran non stop for only about 0.5 miles and already felt like passing out. I phisically couldn't push my body to keep running. So I walked the rest. I feel dead right now. My total time was 14 minutes.

I ran for like six years as I was losing the weight and after I reached maintenance. My best times were only like 8:30 miles, but I loved trail running because it was softer on my bad knee.

I started literally with 100 steps at a time -- I would count them! Then I'd walk a few minutes and do 100 more. I built from that to doing 7 and 8 mile trail runs and races! I'd usually come in the bottom 1/3 (I was up against mostly former High School and College X-Country folks), but I loved it.

Running is something where it's about consistency and only doing as much as you should, not as much as you could! Subtle but important difference. Follow a plan, like Couch to 5K. Also, don't add in too much volume. Even if you did 1/2 of a mile, you did more than you did by sitting on your couch, so that's fantastic.
  • JustSomeEm
    tegass1994 wrote: »
    Today I went running. For the first time this year. Only to realise how out of shape I am.

My goal was to run a mile non stop. For me it's a real challenge because my cardio sucks and I have zero endurance.

I failed miserably. I ran non stop for only about 0.5 miles and already felt like passing out. I phisically couldn't push my body to keep running. So I walked the rest. I feel dead right now. My total time was 14 minutes.

I ran for like six years as I was losing the weight and after I reached maintenance. My best times were only like 8:30 miles, but I loved trail running because it was softer on my bad knee.

I started literally with 100 steps at a time -- I would count them! Then I'd walk a few minutes and do 100 more. I built from that to doing 7 and 8 mile trail runs and races! I'd usually come in the bottom 1/3 (I was up against mostly former High School and College X-Country folks), but I loved it.

Running is something where it's about consistency and only doing as much as you should, not as much as you could! Subtle but important difference. Follow a plan, like Couch to 5K. Also, don't add in too much volume. Even if you did 1/2 of a mile, you did more than you did by sitting on your couch, so that's fantastic.

Totally this. And @tegass1994 - YOU RAN. You did NOT fail. You got your butt out there and did it even though it sucked, and that is totally awesome. :flowerforyou: It will suck less once you've been at it for a bit. Also: Slow down. When you first begin running (even if you used to be an avid runner), you can run *much* further if you're going slow. Going faster will happen naturally as you continue running.
  • MikePfirrman
    It was a chilly 81 this AM at 5 :D so I rowed for a half hour, then did the AD Pro (Assault Bike) for 30 more minutes. Felt good to get back on the rower for that long.

This is the hottest time of the year here where the mornings aren't even cool. But we're officially in monsoon season, which started two weeks ago. Normally, though, it doesn't rain until the third week of July. After that, it will cool down rapidly in the AMs.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Another weight Session- Bench Press (5X5), DB incline press (4X8), French Press (4X8), Skull Crusher (4X8), Tricep Pull-Down (3X20), Cable Fly's (4X8), Hip Abduction (3X20), Dips (4X8), Crunches (3X20) plus 20 minute walk.... Good Day!