Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Stuff I can’t get that I need: chickpeas. Seriously, is there some deal with chickpeas? No one locally has had any in stock for months now.

SAME HERE!! (Sorry to be out of sequence. I'm just catching up on the thread)
    Dry and canned! for months!

My theory, posted previously in the thread, is that folks were using chickpea aquafaba as a replacement for eggs when there were no eggs to be had.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Borders close again tomorrow. Thankfully but hopefully not too late.

You probably should mention which boarders since people from all over the world are on here and won't know or remember perhaps where you are. New South Wales are closing boarders to Victoria in Australia :) Good it is for sure for the rest of the country. Not sure how safe it is to open up all other than Vic. to each other yet like NSW premier mentioned. Hope they take it slow and see what is the best way forward, too soon right now but maybe a few weeks we'll know better.
    I’ve mentioned a few times in this thread where I’m from already 😊. Horse-gate-bolted imho for borders closing.

So a few times in 300+ pages, not real helpful IMO.

Oh well
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Don't get offended hanibanani.

MFP is a large international forum with a huge number of members.

I remember where a few fellow australians I have interacted with live -I remember where you live and that mockchoc lives in northern Qld and slimjo lives in Vic or NSW, cant remember which.

Other than that I know the countries of a few regular posters - but couldn't remember which state or part of the country they were from - if I even knew which states of their country there are.

Most posters from other countries probably aren't all that familiar with australian states anyway - which is why I sometimes spell out things that would be obvious to us - for example that southern states and south australia are not the same thing.

NSW here.. 🙂
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    I knew it was one of the two. ;)
  • slimgirljo15

Wouldn't want to be a Victorian right now.. :# poor buggers.. crap has really hit the fan.
  • Hanibanani2020

Wouldn't want to be a Victorian right now.. :# poor buggers.. crap has really hit the fan.

My sister lives in Melbourne and it’s a s***storm atm
  • slimgirljo15

Really sorry to hear that. Hope she's ok.
  • Hanibanani2020

Really sorry to hear that. Hope she's ok.

She is OK just very stressed.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    So I see NY and NJ are requiring people coming in from 19 states to self quarantine or face fines.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-york-and-new-jersey-expand-list-of-states-that-trigger-quarantine-orders-for-travelers/ar-BB16ruw6?ocid=ientp

Does anyone know how they possibly track this for automobile travel?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    So I see NY and NJ are requiring people coming in from 19 states to self quarantine or face fines.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-york-and-new-jersey-expand-list-of-states-that-trigger-quarantine-orders-for-travelers/ar-BB16ruw6?ocid=ientp

O

One state was planning on using licence plate state info but that would be iffy. KY the last time I checked was not on the list band by any state but FL, TX and others are band so I could leave KY and spend a week on the beaches of FL than drive straight to NY I guess. Tracking this kind of info is easier to do in a place like China than in the USA. At the age of 69 I am starting to think elected officials tend top say anything that will grab them some media attention. :)
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/06/cdc-after-10-week-decline-in-covid-19-deaths-it-may-soon-no-longer-be-an-epidemic/

I am starting to see why some may think this pandemic is going away based on headlines like the above.

Clearly death numbers lag the infection rate by 2+ weeks so while it may be factual COVID-19 death rates may be in decline but we know in the USA at least the infection rate is higher than ever in this 2020 Pandemic so we can expect death rates to soar instead of decline.

I hope not, Gale.

I want to think that we have also got better at treating it. I hope the death rate per active cases is better. Early on, we had no
    Idea how to treat it. Hopefully we’ve learned a little along the way.

I'm also hoping that at an individual level, those most at risk of serious complications and death have learned to stay home as much as possible and stay away from those who won't wear masks around other people. The decreasing average age of new cases in Florida gives me hope that this might be the case -- that it's the people who still think it won't be a big deal for them who are engaging in behavior that increases their risk of catching the virus. If so, that should lower the percentage of serious cases, hospitalizations, and deaths per active cases.

Unfortunately not all of us can do that. I was seeing something elsewhere saying that those of usbat higher risk should have friends and family shop for us and stay home. Neat idea except I am now having to work on-site again and there isn't anyone that I can send to shop for me. I am trying to keep enough food on hand to last 2 weeks in case, but if I get sick and am stuck for longer than that, what can I do? Send my cat for groceries?! It's like people just assume everyone has a spouse or older kids or something...

Do any of the stores around you offer curbside pickup? I never used it before, but now it's the only way I get groceries (other than pantry items shipped). I'm very cautious and still disinfect everything before bringing it inside, but haven't had any problems this way.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/06/cdc-after-10-week-decline-in-covid-19-deaths-it-may-soon-no-longer-be-an-epidemic/

I am starting to see why some may think this pandemic is going away based on headlines like the above.

Clearly death numbers lag the infection rate by 2+ weeks so while it may be factual COVID-19 death rates may be in decline but we know in the USA at least the infection rate is higher than ever in this 2020 Pandemic so we can expect death rates to soar instead of decline.

I hope not, Gale.

I want to think that we have also got better at treating it. I hope the death rate per active cases is better. Early on, we had no
    Idea how to treat it. Hopefully we’ve learned a little along the way.

I'm also hoping that at an individual level, those most at risk of serious complications and death have learned to stay home as much as possible and stay away from those who won't wear masks around other people. The decreasing average age of new cases in Florida gives me hope that this might be the case -- that it's the people who still think it won't be a big deal for them who are engaging in behavior that increases their risk of catching the virus. If so, that should lower the percentage of serious cases, hospitalizations, and deaths per active cases.

Unfortunately not all of us can do that. I was seeing something elsewhere saying that those of usbat higher risk should have friends and family shop for us and stay home. Neat idea except I am now having to work on-site again and there isn't anyone that I can send to shop for me. I am trying to keep enough food on hand to last 2 weeks in case, but if I get sick and am stuck for longer than that, what can I do? Send my cat for groceries?! It's like people just assume everyone has a spouse or older kids or something...

Do any of the stores around you offer curbside pickup? I never used it before, but now it's the only way I get groceries (other than pantry items shipped). I'm very cautious and still disinfect everything before bringing it inside, but haven't had any problems this way.

Kroger does, but I haven't tried it and have heard they don't always get it right anyway. But yes, maybe curbside pickup is the next best option when delivery isn't available.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Some articles of interest. Although I admit that are not easy to read.

'Silent spreaders' may be responsible for half of Covid-19 cases, study finds https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/health/covid-19-silent-spreaders-wellness/index.html

I got Covid-19 two months ago. I'm still discovering new areas of damage -- Richard Quest
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/health/richard-quest-covid-wellness-intl/index.html

The article below was written by an Eisenhower Med.Ct. doctor
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10220147983144511&id=1073965071