The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    @donimfp Thanks for the book suggestions. I just downloaded Mrs. D and hopped into bed to read it on this rainy day. :)
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    @FeelinFooFoo - I love seeing your smiling face in your profile. You are absolutely beautiful!!!
  • RubyRed427
    donimfp wrote: »
    In yesterday's Sober School, we were asked to make a list titled "Things I Hated [past tense] about Drinking." My list is very, very long. It was an interesting and useful exercise for me because I have often made "Why I Want to Quit Drinking" lists, which focus on what I will gain (better sleep, weight loss, improved appearance, more time, etc.). However, those potential gains are kind of abstract because I haven't really experienced them yet. But the things I hate(d) about drinking are very vivid and real to me: waking up at 3 a.m. in a panic, puffy face in the mirror, nausea, increased blood pressure/blood sugar."

It's a subtle little switch, but I think this list will be the one I refer to when I'm tempted to drink, simply because it is so real and painful for me. The positives seem very far off when the booze is beckoning. The negatives are just a drink away.

The lists are such good ideas to reflect on and remind / reinforce resolve, I think. I made up a list quite recently titled After Bingeing. I listed all the undesirable & negative effects of after a binge, but I also included all the rubbish that can happen during. Bursting into tears, was 1 of them. I clearly remember being out at the pub, last year I'm sure with my partner and we were basically just getting drunk. We seemed to be enjoying ourselves and suddenly I began crying, right there in the middle of the pub. I had grossly underestimated just how drunk I had became and I remember feeling quite embarrassed and wondering how on earth, when I'm meant to be 'enjoying' myself, am I crying ?? Just proves how alcohol messes up our emotions. But yeah, I really like how honest iv been on my list and it DEFINETLY helps to remind myself why I don't wana carry on boozing.

You triggered a memory of one year ago. My 50th birthday out with friends. I had been day drinking so by evening I was drunk, but I had a few more glasses, despite friends pushing my glass away from me. So half way through the dinner, I was looking at two of my friends smoking and felt that they were talking about me. Maybe they were or weren't but I was getting upset. Then I started CRYING a lot just like you did. I was crying at the table and then I had to leave the restaurant because I couldn't stop.

It is a really bad memory for me. This year, I am having no party and will go out with three friends to dinner and I dont want to drink at all.
  • RubyRed427
    I am half way through the book "Mrs. D is going without." It really resonates with me. I know exactly how she is feeling and thinking ....
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Glad you’re liking it, @RubyRed427. I felt she was extremely relatable, too. Her next book was “Mrs. D is Going Within,” apparently about practices she developed to help with sobriety. I like the clever title. I think Kate said she has a newer book with “Wine o’clock” in the title.