Increasing Protein, Plant Based

Hi Everyone,

Looking to gain weight in a healthy way and currently having trouble reaching my Protein Intake as Plant Based. If anyone has any advice on plant based recipes with high protein or additional ways to incorporate more protein in snacks or meals without overloading fat intake it would be appreciated if you shared!

Many Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Seitan is a huge asset to the plant-based eater looking to get more protein. There's also the more obvious: tofu, tempeh, and beans. I've been adding TVP to meals lately as well, it's really good in things like enchiladas, chili, burritos, etc.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    If you search in the search bar "vegan protein" you'll find a lot of people have asked and answered this so you'll hopefully get quite a wide ranging variety of responses.
    Nut butters are great protein sources as are beans and pulses. I personally top up with protein bars or shakes on lifting days - there are lots of tasty ones.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited July 2020
    Do you eat the chickpea, pea, bean, edamame pastas and "rice"? I'm a long term (45 year) ovo-lacto vegetarian, and they help me hit my protein goal. The pea/lentil/chickpea ones tend to have about twice the protein of wheat pasta, and the black/bean edamame close to three times as much protein, around 24-24g protein in 200 calories or a bit less.

Personally, I find the edamame and black bean pastas to have a different texture than wheat pasta. The edamame and skinny black bean ones (fettuccine, spaghetti) tend to have a chewier texture. I don't enjoy those with something like tomato sauce, but find them good in pseudo-Asian preparations, with veggies. A particular favorite is edamame spaghetti or fettuccine with veggies, dressed with a combination of peanut or almond powder (defatted), chile paste, rice vinegar, and seasonings (some appropriate combo of fresh ginger, scallions, garlic, . . . ). A little toasted sesame oil is a good addition if I have the calories. Alternatively, a sauce based on dark miso adds a nice umami flavor, with a few more grams of protein as a bonus.

The big shapes of black bean pasta I've had are harder to keep al dente, so I prefer them in soups or stews where texture is not so much an issue.

The chickpea/pea/lentil pastas are closer to wheat pasta in texture, but IMO can have a bit flatter taste, so a hearty sauce is good. Someone else here on MFP suggested making a tomato sauce with lentils, powdered dried mushrooms (put them in a food processor and grind to powder), and herbs of choice (oregano, garlic, basil, whatever). That's an extremely protein-rich combination.

Also, are you using nutritional yeast? That adds some extra protein (and the supplemented types have needful B12) and flavor, at modest extra calories.

For snacks, I like crispy chickpeas (buy them, or make your own), crispy broad beans, bottled/canned lupini beans, or dry-roasted soybeans.

I'd also point out the classic protein thread here as a good resources, even for plant based eaters:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency (most protein for fewest calories, so the lower fat things will be higher on the list). You'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things near the top, but you'll find some plant-based sources a bit further down. There are veggies, grains, and even fruits with relatively more protein that are good additions to a plant-based approach. Small bits of protein throughout the day can really add up, so this is worth considering, in addition to the one big protein dish in each meal that is more the pattern of how omnivores tend to eat. ("What's for dinner?" "Chicken." :lol: )

I'm sure you know that some of those minor sources are less complete, in terms of essential amino acids. Regularly eating a wide variety, and using traditional combinations from long-term plant-centric dietary cultures (Indian, some Mexican/South American cuisines, some African traditions) can help with balancing out that amino acid profile.

Best wishes!