60 yrs and up

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) When I was first diagnosed with osteopenia, my doctor was astonished. She said that I was doing everything right so it had to be related to heredity not behaviour. I had long taken lots of calcium and D3, walked, danced, and lifted weights. At first I took Raloxifene but a few years later suffered a compression fracture in my spine that was treated with a medication for a month and a lot of lying down. Now I take alondronate sodium. I asked my doctor about Prolia and she said she wouldn't recommend it unless I got poor results from the other medications. I still walk and dance a lot and take the right supplements and hope for the best.
  • genellenp
    genellenp Posts: 5 Member
    Linza7116, I was having muscle cramps in my legs also. Doc says it is lack of potassium. I started eating one banana a day and haven't had any cramps since.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Barbie, thanks so much for sharing!
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    ElioraFR wrote: »
    Welcome anita! :) New here too, happy to see you. I'm 70. I walk every other day now and for about an hour. I'm setting my goal to just maintain at this time. I'd like to be 10 pounds lighter, but not in a hurry. I've tried losing it fast and it always comes back, so since I'm just above a normal BMI I decided to make the attempt at a more peaceful journey this time.
    <3

I agree with you! I am realizing I am not as young when I could just go and go. So now when I get a spurt of energy I use it! Pay for it for a couple days afterwards. Peaceful journeys are nice!💖
  • lindagalbreath577
    Welcome anita! :) New here too, happy to see you. I'm 70. I walk every other day now and for about an hour. I'm setting my goal to just maintain at this time. I'd like to be 10 pounds lighter, but not in a hurry. I've tried losing it fast and it always comes back, so since I'm just above a normal BMI I decided to make the attempt at a more peaceful journey this time.
    <3

I agree with you! I am realizing I am not as young when I could just go and go. So now when I get a spurt of energy I use it! Pay for it for a couple days afterwards. Peaceful journeys are nice!💖
  • lindagalbreath577
    <3

• macramedm
    macramedm Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I've been on MFP for 9 years but haven't used it in several years. I'm 68 and have at least 70lbs to lose. After a fat childhood, I maintained a low weight until I had a major event which produced major allergies to everything. I put on 25lbs in about 12 hours, believe this or not. Since then I have never been able to lose all the weight I put on due to allergies to food. Try figuring out how to eat when you are allergic to ALL foods. It's not easy. So I gave up and eat everything which causes a lot of stomach and emotional issues. I also have arthritis and hypothyroidism and asthma.
    I try to track my food and eat healthy but I forget from day to day to track it. I will eat healthy and then my husband comes home (he's an over the road trucker) and I start eating everything again, starting with going out to eat. It's my fault, not his. I know this.
    I need help staying with a diet.
    So that's my situation.
    Hello to all of you.
  • garmmie1000
    garmmie1000 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I'm a 68 yr old handicapped woman needing to lose many pounds. I'm newly in a wheelchair so exercising is kind of hard, but I'm going to give it my best shot. Does anyone have any good exercises to do while sitting? I am new to myfitnesspal. Today is my 1st day.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hi, I'm a 68 yr old handicapped woman needing to lose many pounds. I'm newly in a wheelchair so exercising is kind of hard, but I'm going to give it my best shot. Does anyone have any good exercises to do while sitting? I am new to myfitnesspal. Today is my 1st day.

YouTube is a great source of exercise routines and they have many that can be done while seated in a wheelchair. See if there is anything in this group that you can use.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS704US704&amp;sxsrf=ALeKk01GLg4qKPaCqjo1lKCgREDw4c3Ixw:1594333992108&amp;ei=KJsHX56ZBoL3-gTpv7qgDw&amp;q=youtube+wheelchair+exercises&amp;oq=youtube+exercise+whee&amp;gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgIIADIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjoECAAQRzoFCAAQsQM6BAgAEENQxQZYqRxgoS9oAHABeACAAekCiAGiBpIBBzEuMy4wLjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&amp;sclient=psy-ab
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Hi, I'm a 68 yr old handicapped woman needing to lose many pounds. I'm newly in a wheelchair so exercising is kind of hard, but I'm going to give it my best shot. Does anyone have any good exercises to do while sitting? I am new to myfitnesspal. Today is my 1st day. [/quote
    I’m not sure if this would work for you but you may try chair yoga. You may find some classes on the website:doyogawithme.com
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    I forgot to mention that I am trying to make sure I get outside everyday now that we are staying at home. So I do some of this routine in my backyard. The sun is suppose to come out at about 2 PM today.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    PSA: Right now - soon to be deleted, I hope - there's a post shortly above this one with a shortened bit dot ly link in it. The link is advertising spam for a supplements site. Don't click on it. Click "flag", then "spam". Apologies for going meta. Sometimes these shortened/anonymized links can be dangerous, so I checked it.
  • lindagalbreath577
    Good morning everyone! I hope everyone is doing well. We have sunshine here today so am going to get outside today. I will also get a walk in this morning. Just wanted to say hi so hi! Have a great day 🤓🇺🇸💖
  • jonbow52
    jonbow52 Posts: 11 Member
    Hello 67 male here looking for support and i will do the same in return, i am diabetic just started riding my bicycle again amazing how many calories you can burn in a hour cycling.
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    njag3981 wrote: »
    Hope everyone has a good safe weekend.

Been getting in my walking. Happy to be less stiff and sore these last few days.

Everyone take care and enjoy yourself. :)<3
  • dawkson2017
    dawkson2017 Posts: 18 Member
    Hello to everyone.... for those in Melbourne, I hope you can stay safe. I am just about to go on my safe walk around the back streets.... the local big park is way too busy.... and there are groups of people.... when will they listen?..
    Im using my Safe time trying new low carb/keto recipes, using real food. Thankfully, I live alone, and so just cook for myself, so I eat my experiments!
    I have NEVER, Ever, had home delivery of food.... and I like the idea of No Snacks.... if I eat enough at a meal, Im ok for 6 hours. My last meal yesterday was 3pm....then nothing but a pot of black tea last night, and a pot of black coffee this morning until eggs, cheese and pepperoni at 10.30am.
    Im at my lowest weight for years.... 52kg... dont panic.... I'm only 5ft 2" -157cm, so bmi is 21..... if you can go by bmi.
    My takeaway message is: lowish carbs works for me. 30g in a 1200 cal day = 10% (I love playing around with spreadsheets; weighing and logging everything..........)
    Stay safe.....
  • lindagalbreath577
    Good morning! njag3981 don’t give up. Keep at them to fix your account. Perseverance pays off. Try not to be discouraged. I am doing good I read an article that to become an exerciser you tell your self you are a exerciser! Even if you don’t believe it at first eventually you will become one. The article said how to think yourself into a fit person. If you want to exercise more start viewing yourself as an exerciser. Everyone have a great day! 🤓🇺🇸💖
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Happy Monday everyone!
    I checked in on my weekly MFP challenge today, reinforcing patience and perseverance this time around, for sure.
    I do the Summer Weight Loss Challenge Continuation that is running from May through August. For those not familiar with it, it's a rolling 4 month challenge where you set your goal for the time period and update results on a weekly basis. I started it with the 2019 Fall Winter Challenge. It's a good group of people and the challenge helps keep you accountable if you stay with it daily, regardless if the scale isn't tipping the way you hope.