Has anyone here had or have the Corona Virus?

2»

Replies

• JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    I live in Oklahoma and am a nurse. (I now just review charts and send info to insurance companies and sometimes set up home care for newborns so I’m not around patients right now- and most of the time I work from home ever since March). I only know one person who had Covid and she’s someone I knew in Michigan. She had it back in March but has a lot of lingering issues since. Weakness, palpitations, she sees a functional physician next week to see if the virus has unlocked something else, (Hashimoto's?)
  • joannegustyn1971
    joannegustyn1971 Posts: 50 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    That is the big mystery question in my house. In late December I ended up in the ER with a fever of 103.8 and pulse of 135. Those numbers, though very high, do not begin to describe how sick I was. The ER doc said I had a mystery virus and had no idea what it was, but just to go home, take Tamiflu, and wait for it to pass, as there was nothing much they could do about a virus. So I went home. A week later I was fine. I never had anything like that before or since. It was all quite weird, and then the covid-19 news struck soon after. I live close to Dulles Airport in Virginia, where thousands of travelers from China and other points in Asia and Europe transit every day.

I can not wait for the antibody test to come out. In December my husband and I were both quite sick. We both had some similar issues but some different ones as well. I was having a fluttery feeling in my chest that I was worried about my heart, my breathing was bad and my asthma inhaler just wouldn’t work. We finally went out and bought an air cleaner and was going to have the house checked for mould! My doctor said it was viral. We went to my mom’s for Christmas and my husband was so sick that he spent Boxing Day fast asleep in the hotel room.
    We both kept saying what a weird illness we each had. And then this showed up!!

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    My kid's summer nanny had COVID (21 years old). She thinks she got it from a friend she saw, who wasn't feeling quite right and got tested and it came back positive therefore my kids nanny got tested and it came back positive as well. My kids nanny didn't have a fever or show symptoms beyond what she thought were seasonal allergies. That was 4 weeks ago and she never showed any more signs and came back to work after 3 weeks.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    That is the big mystery question in my house. In late December I ended up in the ER with a fever of 103.8 and pulse of 135. Those numbers, though very high, do not begin to describe how sick I was. The ER doc said I had a mystery virus and had no idea what it was, but just to go home, take Tamiflu, and wait for it to pass, as there was nothing much they could do about a virus. So I went home. A week later I was fine. I never had anything like that before or since. It was all quite weird, and then the covid-19 news struck soon after. I live close to Dulles Airport in Virginia, where thousands of travelers from China and other points in Asia and Europe transit every day.

I can not wait for the antibody test to come out. In December my husband and I were both quite sick. We both had some similar issues but some different ones as well. I was having a fluttery feeling in my chest that I was worried about my heart, my breathing was bad and my asthma inhaler just wouldn’t work. We finally went out and bought an air cleaner and was going to have the house checked for mould! My doctor said it was viral. We went to my mom’s for Christmas and my husband was so sick that he spent Boxing Day fast asleep in the hotel room.
    We both kept saying what a weird illness we each had. And then this showed up!!

The antibody test is pretty useless right now. Basically, it will show you if you had enough exposure to the virus to produce antibodies...but it will not tell you the concentration of the antibodies. A few antibodies likely does not make you immune, nor will it tell you if it caused your illness back in December.

A titer test is needed to determine the actual level, or concentration of antibodies you have, not just whether or not you have them. Even then, no one is sure what level of antibodies you need to be immune from this particular virus. Or how long the immunity will last. Or if you could still transmit the virus.

I'm afraid people are going to start getting the antibody tests, and then run around being reckless because they think they're immune.
  • H2596
    H2596 Posts: 286 Member
    I work in health care and a significant number of colleagues have had it, some requiring admission to hospital and one requiring ventilation.

A friend’s elderly father spent a month in Intensive Care on ventilation but eventually recovered.

I’ve tested negative for antibodies as part of routine screening but a few friends have tested positive despite not believing they’d been ill.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I have several friends and a relative that have the Corona virus? A few in another state and 2 near me that I have not seen in months. So far all of them came out of it.

My brother and the mom of my sons best friend who lives down the road both had it. She has asthma and was sick a full month and is still dealing with lasting breathing issues. My brother is a healthy 30yr old and he was sick 1 week then recovered.

I’m not sure if I had it. In March I was sick for 10 days. My flu swab cape back “inconclusive” but I had two known exposures to conformed flu cases so that’s what they diagnosed me with. I returned to work 3/11 still not fully recovered but mostly better only to be laid off for a restructuring. The following week our shelter in place started so given the timing I suspect it was actually COVID that I had. No one else in my house got sick. I struggled with fatigue and some digestive issues that are not typically flu symptoms for most of March. I definitely want an antibody test if possible

I’m in the Bay Area CA
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited July 2020
    No and I’m surprised considering I work in the ER and am constantly exposed to it. I had my antibodies tested and they were negative. I know a few coworkers who have had it and of course many patients.

Honestly, the only people really sick and dying are older or younger with comorbidities like diabetes and bad asthma. I don’t know of any young and healthy that have died.