I don't know what's wrong with me

Options
I started losing weight in August 2018, and by the end of 2019, I had lost about 85 pounds.
But then from December of 2019 until now, I've only gained weight. About 25 pounds, in fact. I'm feeling so defeated. I might just be screaming into a void here, but I'm just at a loss at what to do. I don't know where everything went wrong or what I can do to get back to where I was before. I don't want all that hard work to have been for nothing, but it's starting to feel like it was, and I feel like a huge failure.

Replies

• Pool_Boy
    Pool_Boy Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Are you still staying below your calories? Are you weighing your food? Are you logging everything?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    You're human.

What to do? Start back at the things you know you need to do in order to lose the 25 and then maintain. Create a new goal in MFP for .5 or 1 pound per week loss - depending on what is appropriate for you. Find some visual cues to help remind you of your focus. I've seen some people say they'll put pictures on the fridge to remind them of their goals.
  • neilblackburn
    neilblackburn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ^ this
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, you didn't gain 25lb, you lost 60!!!
    Tough love is needed here: you not knowing where you went wrong is a problem. Not having a good mindset is a problem. Self care and self love are very important with this lifestyle change so give yourself a break and dont quit!
    I just posted this on another forum but it fits this too:
    bgols9xuh906.png
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Just want you to know your not alone! I had lost 60lbs in 2019, and since march and covid I've put on 30lbs. I feel sad and defeated. I worked so hard! But no one could have planned for it, and we all coped the best we could. Now we have to remember we did it once, we can do it again. The fighter is still in there! You've got this.
  • miriams76
    miriams76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I got so close to my ideal weight five years ago - I got down to 127lbs. I think my goal was 123lbs. Then I stopped counting my calories every day, I stopped doing my daily workouts, I slowly started eating more junk food. For a couple of years it was fine - then suddenly I was back up to 170lbs. So doing it again but now I am never going to stop tracking calories and making sure I maintain my deficits through working out.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with you. In fact YOU, as in you as a person, are not the issue in weight loss. Weight loss is mostly about problem solving and persistence. Your weight is just one thing about you. Your desire to change is another thing. How you are managing you plan is another. That’s only three things. Everyone has a lot more going on in their life than 3 things. Why we get so invested in the weight/weight loss basket of things I don’t know.

If it helps you, to lose 100 lbs I had to reinvent my plan about 4 times. I suppose there are people who start out to lose a significant amount of weight who get on a downward path and stay there but they don’t come here and tell us about it. So its OK to struggle. But its not OK to quit.

Start over. Agreeing with everyone who suggests you get back to the basics, plan a menu, and keep a food diary. When you hit a rough patch try to identify the problem and solve it. Then go to the next problem. I did find this though- some things would work for me for awhile and then not work. My initial reaction would be to double down on the old way when what was needed was something new. You can do this. Good luck.
  • moweh2018
    moweh2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I’m in the exact same position! I lost about 80ish pounds and have regained about 20. I spent some time feeling really down about it, which wasn’t a productive headspace for me at all. What is helping me reframe my thinking is the fact that so many people are also struggling with similar issues right now, so you are not alone. It is so essential to take care of your mental and physical health right now, so create a routine that addresses both needs! I gained the weight back because a) I stress ate and stopped tracking calories and b) my gym closed and all of the habits I had created were not suited to workouts at home or outdoors. Even before lockdown times, I was struggling to manage my stress and stay motivated. Make a plan and find habits that truly bring you joy. For me, it’s getting outside and walking or running and eating fresh food and new recipes. You are not a failure! You are just learning how to live and maintain. :)
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for your responses. It makes me feel better just knowing there are some people in this thread who want me to do well.

@Pool_Boy No, I stopped doing that long ago. There are some days where I get motivated and start keeping track, but it goes downhill pretty quick. I decide to eat something that makes me feel guilty and I tell myself I won't track it and I'll start tracking again tomorrow. It's a terrible habit I've gotten into and I need to break it. Counting calories used to be so easy, but now I only feel ashamed when I try to do it.

@quiksylver296 I'll check that podcast out! Focusing on maintaining and keeping off weight gain for now is a good idea.

@Xiaolongbao Your response is so sincere and well-thought out, and I truly appreciate it. Your second suggestion may be the thing I need right now. When I lost weight last year, that wasn't for me, little changes didn't help, instead I had to go big or go home. But I think this year it's better to take that approach to ease myself back into it all, since right now I don't seem to have the strength to make big changes at once.
    Your husband sounds absolutely lovely!

@RockingWithLJ Saying that I didn't gain 25 but lost 60 made me very happy. Thank you so much for saying that. I'm pretty emotional today, but that really hit me hard (in a good yet somber way).