Running: Am I doing too much?

Hi All,

I'm 35, 5ft 9" and 11st 11.4lbs. I've just started running and I'm wondering whether I'm doing too much too soon. I don’t do any cardio and never have, with the exception of running after my kids.

Here’s my progression so far...

Week 1

Monday 15th June
Distance 2.64mi / Pace 11:36 / mi / Time 30:39

Tuesday 16th June
Distance 3.23mi / Pace 9:12 / mi / Time 29:49

Thursday 18th June
Distance 2.91mi / Pace 8:14 / mi / Time 23:59

Saturday 20th June
Distance 2.09mi / Pace 7:50 / mi / Time 16:23

Best Efforts
PR 2 mile 15:38
PR 1 mile 7:47
PR 1k 4:42
PR 1/2 mile 3:42
PR 400m 1:37

Week 2

Monday 22nd June
Distance 2.04 mi / Pace 7:46 / mi / Time 15:55

Wednesday 24 June
Distance 2.06 mi / Pace 7:29 / mi / Time 15:28

Friday 26th June
Distance 2.09 mi / Pace 7:21 / mi / Time 15:22

Sunday 28th June
Distance 2.08 mi / Pace 7:10 / mi / Time 14:54

Best Efforts
PR 2 mile 14:13
PR 1 mile 6:46
PR 1k 4:05
PR 1/2 mile 3:15
PR 400m 1:35

Week 3

Tuesday 30th June
Distance 2.04 mi / Pace 7:03 / mi / Time 14:25

Thursday 2nd July
Distance 3.21 mi / Pace 7:42 / mi / Time 24:47

Best Efforts
PR 5k 23:53
PR 2 mile 14:06
PR 1k 4:04
PR 1/2 mile 3:13
PR 400m 1:32

Replies

• 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    Ok, I guess I’ve chosen to run faster rather than further or longer due to family time constraints. I’ve already sprained my ankle a little so I’ve taken a few days off to recover.

I’ll make sure I run at a conversational pace as I definitely feel I’m going almost all out on the second mile the closer I get to a 7 minute mile pace. I feel like I can run a lot further with ease when closer to an 8 minute mile pace.

My breathing is also more relaxed at that pace too but I’ll have to try and talk out loud the next time I go for a run.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and enjoyment of a new sport/exercise. Generally with running, it can help prevent injuries if you follow the 10% rule--don't increase your weekly mileage more than 10% from the previous week. That can be tricky to figure out at first, but I think jumping into 8-10 miles/week at top speed is asking for injury. In fact, you've indicated that you've already hurt your ankle. Good idea to lay off a little to prevent it from getting worse. Once it feels better, maybe try to keep the faster runs to once per week, and the rest of your runs at an easy pace.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'm going to take another tact because it doesn't sound like the goal is doing 5-10K's, not to improve running performance or endurance - but merely to take your available short time and get in a workout.

If this is purely about heart health or calorie burn, so you can eat more in general and not feel like you are in a diet - then going as hard as you can that allows recovery to do it again the next day or day after is fine.
    Caveat that with the pounding from running you really have to know how to read body to know if recovered, which means knowing what is too hard in the first place.

You obviously have the aerobic capacity from something to go out like that.
    Your muscles obviously have the ability.
    It's your tendons, ligaments, and joints that generally need some break in time, but frankly if your muscles could do that already - they may be ready too.

Start back in a tad slower just to make sure, really pay attention to the day after and anything sore from a hard pounding.

Since limited on time and just going faster, still make sure the 10% rule is followed, but likely won't be a problem merely increasing pace.

And you'll quickly be back at doing as hard as you can for your limited time.

Do make sure you are eating more when doing more, to aid recovery and repair.
    Or you'll just find yourself getting injured more.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    If you’ve already sprained your ankle three weeks in, I would take that as a sign that you need to slow down a bit.

It’s fun to track your PRs but to be honest you seem a little overly concerned with pace. You don’t need to (and really probably shouldn’t) aim for a new PR every single time you head out. Pushing yourself too hard, too fast leads to injury. It’s okay to slow it down a bit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Meant to add.

Hope your available time for the run isn't walking out door, and take off running.
    Come back running and walk right in and get cleaned up and blop down for dinner or breakfast.
    When going hard like that - warmup/cooldown more important. 5 min walking for each with some dynamic stretching in there not a bad idea.
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    I am a casual runner who does approximately 12-15 miles per week. It used to be much more but I scaled it back to accommodate other activities and help to prevent injury.

There are a few components that help to prevent injury and help to keep you out there running for many years...

1. Appropriate footwear for YOU. Not the cute pair on sale at the department store, but the pair that is best for your own personal gait once you've been analyzed by someone (for free) at your local running specialty store.

2. Proper running form... Here is one of many videos on tips regarding form https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsUL3a1CxUQ

3. Too much (miles and time), too soon, too fast. C25K app is your friend.

4. Crosstraining - so many different options for this it's hard to recommend any one thing specific. However strength training on off days is a huge plus. Seek crosstraining for runner ideas on YT and you will find plenty.

You want to be a runner - train like a runner.
  • 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I definitely need to spend more time warming up as it felt like I had a trapped nerve in my bum/hip on Mondays run. I'm going to try a walking warmup with some dynamic stretching tomorrow for a twice a week run. if that feels ok I'll do 3 miles at a steady pace.