Weight struggles and Mental Health

2»

Replies

• silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    New to MFP... after a 25 pound weight gain due to the stress of lockdown and covid I finally realized I was eating when I was sad or anxious. Eating at night when nobody could see me. Lots of ice cream. On an anxiety med that causes weight gain and makes it really hard to lose weight. Looking for support and to give support to those with meds and mental health symptoms that make maintaining a healthy weight difficult. I have a 30lb weight loss goal, and I'm going to start with drinking more water. If I can do it, I will cut down on the ice cream. That is my weakness! Doesn't help that growing up, if I cried a lot my parents would get me ice cream. So I need to stop using it as a way to feel good...the hard part is finding things to keep my mind and body occupied in a healthy way. Just wanted to say hi to the group and thanks for sharing your stories.
  • Catlessi41
    Catlessi41 Posts: 39 Member
    Anxiety disorders, depression and trichlotillmania along with other diseases. Working out has helped me a lot to focus on something else other than what is going on mentally. I
  • BoundaryQueen2020
    BoundaryQueen2020 Posts: 19 Member
    How's everybody doing? x
  • planktonbye
    planktonbye Posts: 58 Member
    Hanging in there, thanks for asking! I need to call my psychiatrist already to get some refills and a new appointment. I hope everyone is doing as well as possible. Feel free to friend me if you like!
  • silverpl2525
    So I ate some ice cream over the weekend- totally stress eating. The sugar tasted so good. I had done a good job of cutting down on sugary things by not buying them for a few weeks, but I went out to Coldstone Creamery and got something good. Lesson... keep SOMETHING sweet around to help prevent a full-blown ice cream half-pint!
  • planktonbye
    planktonbye Posts: 58 Member
    So I ate some ice cream over the weekend- totally stress eating. The sugar tasted so good. I had done a good job of cutting down on sugary things by not buying them for a few weeks, but I went out to Coldstone Creamery and got something good. Lesson... keep SOMETHING sweet around to help prevent a full-blown ice cream half-pint!

Yes indeed. The only way to do ice cream is in a retail establishment. I can shut down a pint of ice cream at home without even blinking, so I just don't buy it at the store, no can do. But a single serving of ice cream, even a big one, is by no means a disaster.

I let my main medication run out and I have to bother my psychiatrist over the weekend to call in a refill. I'll plan better next time.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    I gained 60 pounds 18 years ago when I started taking antidepressants At that time I was told the meds do not cause weight gain. Ha! Even though I have been off the meds for over 10 years my weight has bounced around and I'm still struggling. One of the many problems is that it's hard to be mentally well when your physically unwell. I want to get back to when I was eating healthy, feeling good, and not even having to think about food. I know the first step would be to log ALL my food and cut out so many of the carbs.
  • silverpl2525
    Once thing I've noticed about some psych meds is that not only do they directly cause weight gain, but they seem to turn off the switch in my brain that says I'm full. So I can keep eating and never feel full...or until my tummy gets upset! So....ya.....sometimes I need to just tell myself to STOP and digest a meal.
    Yes indeed. The only way to do ice cream is in a retail establishment. I can shut down a pint of ice cream at home without even blinking, so I just don't buy it at the store, no can do. But a single serving of ice cream, even a big one, is by no means a disaster.

As for ice cream, I agree, if I buy a pint to have at home, I tell myself at the store that it will be a few servings. When I actually have some, I eat the pint every time. So now I've stopped buying pints like you.

• JayRaeUK
    JayRaeUK Posts: 11 Member
    I know that where truama is present there is always addiction. I eat to fill the space where my brain like to tell me that I am 2 steps away from having nothing, a full tummy, a full fridge (for me a seeing a full fruit bowl is very satisfying), means security to me. I understand it's not real security but it's just a lie I tell myself to help me feel safe in a body that is constantly worried and anxious about my lovely life falling apart...
  • sclady21
    sclady21 Posts: 33 Member
    brendog79 wrote: »
    I'm one dealing with mental health. I am schizoaffective and have depression. I started back taking bupropion at the same time I started dieting on may 20th and have lost 35 lbs in 6 weeks. I am a very big guy starting at 382 lbs. The first two weeks I lost 26 lbs.

Do you have any side effect from the bupropion ?
  • BSPharmD15
    BSPharmD15 Posts: 7 Member
    I graduated high school 13 years ago weighing 230. Around 10 years ago I was diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, and depression, and went through a ton of medications trying to find something that helped. About 8 years ago I was stable, feeling well, got down to 205 while going through pharmacy school. Now after the past 8 years, and getting married, having kids, moving 3 times in the past 2 years, and 5 years as a pharmacist I have ballooned up to 285. I am off all the meds, and another kid on the way, I am motivated to lose the weight and considering bariatric surgery to help. Currently down to 272, and starting to find good habits to help me on my way. All that being said, being a pharmacist, if anyone has any questions about medications, please message me.
  • brendog79
    brendog79 Posts: 60 Member
    I'm sure the bupropion helped boost my weight loss. The only side effects are if you take too high a dose it can really mess with your mood if something triggers your anxiety. It can also pick your heart rate up and some times make it harder to cool down. Other than that I take two doses during the day of 150 spread out around 7 hrs apa