The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    The pink cloud syndrome is very common among those who are in early recovery from an alcohol or drug addiction. Many first-time Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) members will talk about their pink clouds. The good news is that the pink cloud syndrome helps many people continue to stay sober. If you are experiencing the pink cloud, you may feel very joyful. You may have a great deal of excitement and hope for your future. On the other hand, the pink cloud may make you dangerously overconfident. Such overconfidence may make you relapse.

Have you all heard of this? It's also in the book Ms. D goes without. Apparently it is a common term used during recovery.
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Tonight is my birthday dinner with drinking friends. I WILL not drink tonight. I promised myself that. I cannot slip back into my old ways. I cannot fool myself into thinking anything about alcohol will help me have a good time. I like the picture above- alcohol causes pain and anxiety and it's a cycle .... it Never cures anxiety or pain.

Good For you. Happy Birthday!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Make that “We Are the Luckiest”.
  • RubyRed427
    donimfp wrote: »
    Make that “We Are the Luckiest”.

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job listening to your body and mind. You must have needed a break from "to do lists".

Yes, I agree it is a matter of life and death. And we choose LIFE- sober and happy.
    I read a quote from a celebrity who said "Sobriety is his job. Acting is his hobby." I agree. It does take a concerted effort especially the first few months - it is our job to stay sober. You are doing great!
  • RubyRed427
    So this morning, my partner knocked on my brothers door, he had slept in and we realised he had been boozing last night. Luckily he was able to take a holiday as his work had plenty people on today. PHEW. Cos he looked like death warmed up. I do not miss that hangover feeling when I have a day of work ahead of me. My heart actually broke a bit just looking at him. Red tired eyes. Pale, dry skin and a look that said "why did I do this to myself?" A look I have had many many times myself. I have suggested he try 30 day alcohol experiment and I gave him my Alan Carr book. Anyway. He asked if we all wanted to go for a walk. Which we did. Sun's out, blue skies so it was a nice walk. He then wanted to stop by the local pub/resturaunt that me and my partner had been in last Saturday.

It's such a weird experience gettin used to this 'new normal' 1 way entry systems etc. My bro constantly complained of the dreaded fear, post anxiety black cloud of impending doom. He felt something bad was gona happen. Again, I don't miss that! During our sit down outside sipping lemonades a man began talking to us. He was drinking beers (no judgement here) but I obviously noticed it. He then moved to sit closer by us and I did kinda worry that he planned to continue chatting while we ate (but he didn't). As he drank his beer I noticed he had a very red, ruddy complexion and he then told us he was recently out of jail, had lost his job and broke up with his wife. A part of me couldn't help but wonder, had alcohol possibly played a large part of these negative events in his life ? I was also kinda glad that my brother listened to him tell his story. I know myself how lucky I am to have survived my drinking days without any real lasting effects. Had I carried on? It could be me one day, telling folk how I lost it all.....

Sometimes we need these little "God winks" to remind us of our motivations for being sober. Talking to that man was impactful.

I recently saw a friend who told me she has been drinking a lot; her face looked so hard- deep wrinkles (she smokes too). I felt bad for her. Because I do know that alcohol is so dehydrating. I Have looked so puffy and red on many hangover mornings.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

Yes, I agree it is a matter of life and death. And we choose LIFE- sober and happy.
    I read a quote from a celebrity who said "Sobriety is his job. Acting is his hobby." I agree. It does take a concerted effort especially the first few months - it is our job to stay sober. You are doing great!

You are right on!! Approaching sobriety as our job is the ticket to freedom from alcohol dependence. Immersing ourselves in education about the true nature of alcohol and the consequences that are inevitable, selecting who we spend our time with, namely, those who support our decision to stop drinking, and working on taking care of ourselves by giving ourselves some much needed TLC and time to unwind in healthy, productive ways that will enhance our lives & relationships instead of impairing them takes our time. attention & energy. We are all worth the time & energy it takes to heal from whatever is driving us to drink to numb it all out! Drinking is only a symptom of some issues that need to be addressed. Alcohol is not the problem, it's only a symptom of an underlying problem. Take away the drink and the other stuff can surface so we can deal with it.

Happy, AF weekend to all <3

• RubyRed427
    Good Sober Sunday ! So nice to be hangover free today. I got results from a series of blood tests for life insurance policy. Anyway, I was so happy to report that any of the test results with kidney or liver were all great. The only issue is high cholesterol 153 which is part hereditary and part ice cream and Diorites.

I opened a bottle of FRE Zinfandel because I had it in my fridge. Anyway, It was missing something... @FeelinFooFoo it was missing that familiar alcohol taste. It just didn't do anything for me. So I understand how your drink was ok and you missed that familiar taste of rum.

Last year, I had a delicious AF mojito but when I make AF cocktails, they lack that taste that I like (from alcohol). I will stick to Perrier I guess.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    I’ve never found a satisfying mocktail either. But just this week I tried grapefruit juice and tonic with a little lime. The bitterness did the trick for me. Yum. Also I’m a big Guinness stout fan. A company named Bravus makes a NA oatmeal stout that tastes identical to my palate. I’d been ordering from CA and paying shipping but just discovered it’s available in some shops including a few in Austin. That’s a 30-minute drive for me but I’m heading there tomorrow.

I recently bought an AF Guinness, but I haven't tried it yet.