• StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    StargazerB wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It was Dr. Atiga that suggested carbs are like rocket fuel. I am going to agree. After 750g the past two days, my gym session was great today. Some soreness going away, so maybe the extra carbs and flexibility training is helping.

Yay for all the carbs! Is this going to be a regular thing or are you still rocking the keto?

I think I have figured things out. I have been taking an entire WEEK off lifting (omg I am going crazy) but it is very helpful for me. Starting fresh on Monday... a bit of lifting, yoga, sticking with recomp or a slight deficit...hopefully it works!

Idk I could fathom taking a whole week at this point of my degenerate addiction. That week I had to travel for work I could only do bodyweight stuff in my hotel room but made sure I was up early enough to lift before my flight on Monday and luckily came back Thursday night so I could lift on Friday too.

I know I feel so guilty but honestly, I need it. I have been working hard since 6 weeks post-partum or so, I need to regroup and go into my new goals with a clear slate. As long as I don't lose my glutes I am good haha. I am going to lose strength though, especially since I won't be squating or deadlifting (at least traditionally) for a while according to this program. We will see how it goes!

What program are you going to do?

It's another Bret program (wow big surprise right??? :D) I don't know if it has a specific name but it's all about growing glutes without growing legs. My quads are taking over my body lol so I am going to try this to help calm them down. The program involves very limited hip thrusts (due to quad involvement), no squats of any kind, no lunges, no step ups, no regular deadlifts (I think there are some glute focused RDLs programmed in there). It is mostly glute bridges and other accessories. It is kind of scary but I am curious to give it a try.

Sounds interesting. I hope you post your workouts, I'd love to see how they are structured.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    It was Dr. Atiga that suggested carbs are like rocket fuel. I am going to agree. After 750g the past two days, my gym session was great today. Some soreness going away, so maybe the extra carbs and flexibility training is helping.

Yay for all the carbs! Is this going to be a regular thing or are you still rocking the keto?

I think I have figured things out. I have been taking an entire WEEK off lifting (omg I am going crazy) but it is very helpful for me. Starting fresh on Monday... a bit of lifting, yoga, sticking with recomp or a slight deficit...hopefully it works!

I am running a cyclical ketogenic diet where i will do carbs every 2-3 weeks. While training does suffer a little, i just don't seem to lose while i am not keto.

Oh that's not too bad. Sometimes you have to do what you gotta do! I could never give up my carbs :)

I used to think like that too. And its really not too hard for me. But i contribute that to my ability to cook and bake. I know some of you have seen some examples.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »

Idk I could fathom taking a whole week at this point of my degenerate addiction. That week I had to travel for work I could only do bodyweight stuff in my hotel room but made sure I was up early enough to lift before my flight on Monday and luckily came back Thursday night so I could lift on Friday too.

I know I feel so guilty but honestly, I need it. I have been working hard since 6 weeks post-partum or so, I need to regroup and go into my new goals with a clear slate. As long as I don't lose my glutes I am good haha. I am going to lose strength though, especially since I won't be squating or deadlifting (at least traditionally) for a while according to this program. We will see how it goes!

What program are you going to do?

It's another Bret program (wow big surprise right??? :D) I don't know if it has a specific name but it's all about growing glutes without growing legs. My quads are taking over my body lol so I am going to try this to help calm them down. The program involves very limited hip thrusts (due to quad involvement), no squats of any kind, no lunges, no step ups, no regular deadlifts (I think there are some glute focused RDLs programmed in there). It is mostly glute bridges and other accessories. It is kind of scary but I am curious to give it a try.

Sounds interesting. I hope you post your workouts, I'd love to see how they are structured.

Yea I will try to post them. :)

Honestly it's not a program I would particularly recommend to most people, and I am a little hesitant to run it especially since glute growth with come from a good mix of hip thrusts, squats, deadlifts. We'll see!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Gyms opening in the 25th in the uk.
    So just starting a 2 week mini cut and then
    See what shows are still going ahead this year
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited July 2020
    Ok so 4 weeks ago I uped my protein by 20g and cals by 250. Was holding maintenance and BF for 4 wks. Now all of a sudden since increasing intensity just a bit I'm dropping weight and BF again.

Anyone else experienced this?

Context... When I say increase in intensity I only mean an extra set of squats holding a pair 35 pounders. Adding a decline with extended ROM to my pushups and up on my bicep curl dumbbells one increment.
  • sardelsa
    @KHMcG I would say this is fairly common. It definitely happens to me when I am trying to transition into maintenance or surplus. As I increase calories my activity goes up (not only boosts in workout performance but NEAT as well.. I move more, fidgit more, etc) and as a result I end up losing weight or not gaining on higher calories at least temporarily until my body got used to that amount.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »

How long were they closed in total? Mine was only closed for the month of April (Idaho, USA), and I'm so thankful.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    @KHMcG I would say this is fairly common. It definitely happens to me when I am trying to transition into maintenance or surplus. As I increase calories my activity goes up (not only boosts in workout performance but NEAT as well.. I move more, fidgit more, etc) and as a result I end up losing weight or not gaining on higher calories at least temporarily until my body got used to that amount.

Good to know! I will hold course. Just wasn't sure if I needed to increase again.
  • watts6151

How long were they closed in total? Mine was only closed for the month of April (Idaho, USA), and I'm so thankful.

Think it was the 18th of March my gym shut
    So will be over 4 months
  • quiksylver296

So will be over 4 months

Whew. That sucks big time.
  • watts6151

So will be over 4 months

Not sure what it’s like in the USA
    But I’ve apparently got to book time slots in advance 🙄
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member

So will be over 4 months

Depends where you are. I'm in the Cincinnati-area; Kentucky opened gyms 6/1 with limited restrictions but implemented a state-wide mask mandate yesterday to curb a rise in cases. Ohio similarly opened gyms a week sooner and the governor had to put a mask mandate out for high-case counties earlier this week too.
  • quiksylver296

So will be over 4 months

We did for awhile, but we’re past that now, too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    In Virginia we opened in June with 25% capacity and since July 1st, we are now allowed to do 75% capacity but require 6 feet separation and limited equipment
  • watts6151
    Just not looking forward to training in a mask at my gym, it’s always like a sauna in summer, asbestos roof, no windows, just a couple if fans 🥵
  • quiksylver296
    Just not looking forward to training in a mask at my gym, it’s always like a sauna in summer, asbestos roof, no windows, just a couple if fans 🥵

I found these really light, breathable masks on ETSY that aren’t too bad. I tried three different types first, though. 😂
  • joedangerclose00
    joedangerclose00 Posts: 3 Member
    I just finished my bulk up to 265, I’m looking to get down to 220, then maintain or recomp. I’ve started my cut and I’m usually under my recommended cals by 1,000. High protein, fat and lower carbs. But I’m cycling while maintaining my deficit. s9d3dmbb3jax.jpeg
  • sheena_shewell
    sheena_shewell Posts: 48 Member
    Hey hun have just done a month long bulk and now entering my first cut cycle. I'm a newbie lol. I'm currently carb cycling so high carb days on my workout days and low carb high fat and protein on my non workout days. Will be following this thread!
  • sardelsa
    Started a slight deficit this week, well I think I'm in a deficit I cut down my evening dessert :p
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Started a slight deficit this week, well I think I'm in a deficit I cut down my evening dessert :p

How's your new workout program thus far?