Accountability buddy

Replies

• rmarlow65
    rmarlow65 Posts: 7 Member
    I started this journey last week, and weighed in yesterday...down 8 pounds. I'm cautiously very happy, I say cautiously because I've done this before and eventually I stop. I pray daily that I keep my motivation do stick with it. Than you all for the inspiration you all give out to everyone!
  • Naz_2020
    Naz_2020 Posts: 79 Member
    Yes somehow we gotta stick to the healthy lifestyle and it will work its way out. I just don't want to give up on this again.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    I don't think you need to do anything. This is already a message board, so I think we just start talking. I introduced myself yesterday, so I guess I'll continue talking and hopefully you all will join in.

For the most part, I stick to 1200 calories a day. Every once in a while (usually when I eat something new that tastes REALLY good), I convince myself that I can't stop when I'm full even if it means I'll go over my calorie budget. I tell myself I'll never have it again, so I need to take advantage of it now. Or I tell myself that I can't waste the money it cost for the food, and I must eat it all. A long with other excuses. I know this thinking is wrong, but I struggle with this. Any advice?

When I have a thought about wasting food, I tell myself that if I gain a lot of weight I will have lots of health problems and need medications for that, and that is taking a toll on the health care system as well as my personal health...which outweighs the actual amount of food you leave on your plate. Hope that helps!
  • kiay131982
    kiay131982 Posts: 217 Member
    Morning!

@beshamama I bake healthy things to snack on to stop me eating things I shouldn't :) so little protein bars or balls, I've got tuna egg cups in the fridge right now, carrot cookies, oat cups..... Any healthy clean recipe I can find really!!

@healthytink one thing I have learnt on my journey so far is that 1200 calories a day is too low. I work with a PT and she explained that this is the lowest amount of calories that your body needs to be at all healthy.... But actually it isnt sustainable (as you know when you can't stop yourself going over your calorie goal... Your body is craving sustenance) and also that at this defecit it can hinder weight loss...your body isnt sure if its going to get enough fuel so holds on to what it can meaning weight loss is actually slower.

@rmarlow65 well done!! What a good start! :) do keep at it, see it as changing your lifestyle for good and not a diet.... You will feel better for it :)
    And @nazah_sakin - you've both got this!!!!

I woke up feeling really good and had a sneaky weigh... 3lb down!! . .. Which was foolish as weigh in day is tomorrow and now if I dont see that same number on the scales Im going to be disheartened.... :) on the plus side, it is incentive to keep moving today and eat well, drink lots of water and hope tomorrow isnt a fluctuation day... 😂😂
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,306 Member
    @balkanone, @Tinychick0206, @silverpl2525 and anyone else who’s posted since I last checked in ... WELCOME!

@silverpl2525 - That’s good advice about thinking through the long term costs of overeating in response to @healthytink . I sometimes justify buying healthier food that costs more by making a similar comparison: it’s cheaper in the long run if I eat better food even if it costs more in the short term. I’m still not good about throwing food away but I’m getting better at storing leftovers and eating them later.

@healthytink - For the delicious item I don’t want to miss out on, I’ll also try to save it for another time. Sometimes someone else might eat it in the meantime but I try to remind myself that rarely is anything truly unavailable later if I really want it. Labeling it with your name or putting it in the back of the refrigerator or cabinet might also work in that case.

@kiay131982 - Those sound like great snack options. I’m going to look up how to make tuna egg cups for a protein boost. You always have wonderful tips! Congratulations on such a big drop and waking with such a positive attitude. Even if you fluctuate up a pound or two, you’re definitely on the right track overall. I’m still hovering only slightly under 150 pounds but I feel as though I won’t creep back over that number again so that feels good. Let’s keep the momentum going! ...

My goal is to keep trying to add afternoon protein, which has only been mildly successful so far. I’ve been able to exercise more now that I found a new group to row with at a safe distance. I signed up for tomorrow and Sunday morning. Keep up the good work, everyone! ... and let us know how you’re doing in reaching your goals!
  • kiay131982
    Morning!

@PatriceFitnessPal the egg cups are super easy. I use a silicone muffin type tray. Put tuna and whatever veg i fancy in the bottom of each cup. Whisk up some egg and pour it on top. Then bake. Like little mini omelettes really but really nice even cold :) enjoy your rowing this weekend!!

I did fluctuate a little back up this morning on my official weigh in day... But actually thats so fine... I still hit pre baby weight!!! 144lbs :) Whooop!! My next goal is to drop to 140 or below so only a four lb goal. Small increments from now on.

So yesterday my PT suggested I stop counting calories on this app. She said she wants me to learn how to read my body, make clean choices and stop obsessing.... It feels a bit like someone telling you that are now in charge of a company that you know nothing about!! I dont know if I can do it.... The thought of it is actually a bit anxiety making!!

• Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    Hello! I am about to be 39 years old. About 12 years ago, i was my heaviest at right around 200 lbs (just had baby). I lost weight on my own to get down to around 160. I joined MFP and rocked it again, getting down to 135, which was a perfect weight and body fat % for me. Then I went back to school to finish my degree, started a new job, bought a house and my mom was diagnosed with cancer all around the same time. My regular workouts with my sisters stopped and turned into taking care of mom, my daughter, school work and all the things that come with a new house. I gained 20lbs back and have stayed steady at 155. My mom passed away just short of two years ago but my dad has dementia, so the caretaking switched from her to him. I did get my degree (woot!) and am doing really well in my new job. I am a hard and stubborn worker!

My daughter has had some mental health issues and recently gained quite a few pounds herself. She is super picky so making two meals on the nights I have her have been a struggle. Heck, making supper on most nights is a struggle because I'm so tired. Anyway, I have found some really good meals that I love and now I'm trying to help my daughter with her struggle. I am currently doing a 100 day challenge with my sisters, where we have 10k steps 100 days in a row. I walk at lunch and get some strength exercises in when I can. I need accountability to continue to log my food every day! It has become unbearable to sit down and try to log every thing I eat and make sure it's the exact brand and amount. I love the barcode scanner, and I have a food scale, but it just feels like time I don't have. I did it before, though, so I know I can do it again. I hope to be a support for everyone here as well! I'm all about moderation, because I will never give up chocolate or ice cream, and exercise.

I love your challenge: 10k steps for 100 days. that's awesome!! You're lucky to have some people to do it with also.
  • swan57
    swan57 Posts: 18 Member
    Would love to have a buddy. I have 18 more lbs to lose after losing 100 lbs already. Fell off plan for a while after getting seriously ill but now I am better and ready to get back to it. We can do this if we have faith in ourselves.
  • kstpierre52020
    kstpierre52020 Posts: 60 Member
    Kiay- definitely interested in how you will be implementing your new approach. Would love tips. I’m finding myself happier and more in touch with my body when I’m not checking in every calorie. But! Still want to see the movement in the right direction. Currently im auditing myself counting the calories just some days a week Fine line to walk! If anything works for me I’ll share. And if you did things that work for you, please share too!
  • carriestrine
    carriestrine Posts: 214 Member
    @kiay131982 what a win for it to be time in your journey to make this shift, and congratulations on hitting pre-baby weight!

Looking forward to hearing what you learn!

@kstpierre52020 I love your idea of just auditing some days a week.
  • kiay131982
    @kstpierre52020 and @carriestrine I havent actually started as it feels like cutting away my safety net. For example last night we had takeaway and I weighed and counted everything... It meant I could eat some of the food and stay in my limits.... Without it I probably could have massively overeaten. So its about learning to trust myself in my choices (although that wasnt clean eating so technically not allowed anyway!)
    I will try for the rest of this week not to count anything and just to eat sensibly.... I expect the scales wont move this week anyway so it will be really hard to see if it works!!!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2020
    @swan57 - What an amazing accomplishment! Welcome to the group!! Feel free to tell us a little about yourself, share your goals, and let us know what you’ve learned along your journey to have so much success!

@kiay131982, @carriestrine and @kstpierre52020 - This is such an interesting conversation about the benefits and concerns of weaning off the MFP tracking and trusting our bodies - and what we’ve learned from the experience - to tell us what’s needed (and, more importantly, not needed). It’s great to be in this place both physically and mentally ... Good for you!!

I’m confident you can do it because you seem to have really built the positive daily habits necessary and reached a good ‘head space.’ Don’t give into negative self-talk now; you’ve got this. Let us know how we can best support you. I’ll look forward to your check-ins (without tracking! 😀).

My goals for the coming week are to keep working on the protein increase in the afternoon. I’m making my tuna egg cups this afternoon, @kiay131982, so thanks for the tip!! I’ll also keep rowing at least twice a week but I’m hoping to row four days (Tu, Th, Sa, and Su) with some weight training on M, W, F and yoga or stretching every day. I need to continue building up the correct back muscles and improving my posture (especially while working at my desk) so I can alleviate my shoulder impingement. It can be difficult to pick up the sculling boat out of the water and carry it back to the boathouse alone. So, being ‘back on the water’ means I have natural incentive for the weight training and stretching!

Best wishes to everyone! Whatever your goal is this week, remember that it’s just for you. I hope you’ll commit fully to yourself so you can feel satisfied and proud of the person you’re becoming! 🤩 Cheers!!
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    @Cerizez I am luck that I have people in my family to do these challenges with, but I think anyone can find people. You could start a group on here, I'm sure you would get participants! I'm now also in a wellness challenge at work for the next six weeks, so I'm pretty challenged out, lol.

@kiay131982 your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is actually the number of calories your body expends while at rest, basically what it needs just to survive breathing and organ functioning. Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is basically your BMR with average daily activity included, so the calories your body needs on a daily basis based on your activity level. These are the things that MFP calculates behind the scenes, but you can find more accurate calculators online; if you know your BFP, body fat percentage, they are even more accurate. The problem most people I have seen on here run into is that they choose the 20% calorie deficit option to lose as much as possible in the shortest amount of time, which in turns creates a 1200 calorie a day goal. It's not good for you and causes people to fall off the wagon because it's also not sustainable. Just a little bit more detail added to your PT's point.

That brings me to my current problem, I haven't been eating enough some days. Even worse, on occasion I make up for the deficit in quality calories with food options that throw my macros way off point. Why can't I be rich and have a nutritionist and a chef, and a personal trainer? I don't ask for much :smiley:
  • kiay131982
    @highmaintnance yes agreed... Alot of people set their goal too low... I used to do that at the start too... Its now higher and i focus on macros predominantly. I think what my personal trainer is trying to stop is the obsessive weighing of good choices too... So really there is no need for me to weigh my salad, i work out alot and I am aiming to eat clean. Its just a really hard habit to break and not one Im sure that I am ready for. Ive not weighed food since Sunday and it feels so alien!
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,253 Member
    Evening all. And welcome those who just joined. Been quite awhile since I have been on. Been at the lake and crappy service. Summer has been a bust due to the booze. But while at the lake trying to hit 10k steps, 30 zone minutes and 2250 calories burned.
  • renaegry
    Also anybody use Fitbit. I love doing the challenges. Keeps me motivated.
  • highmaintnance
    @kiay131982 I completely understand, I remember having the same feeling! It sounds like taking small steps towards "weaning" off the habit of weighing is the way to go for you. You got this!

@renaegry I have a fitbit but most of my friends have converted to other brands. Challenges are an awesome way to pump up the motivation. I'm currently in two outside of fitbit. My display name is Jennifer S and my profile picture is a toddler in a blue shirt giving some attitude. I was just at a lake this past weekend and had to find time to get walk in to get my daily step goal. All of those steps on top of swimming and kayaking was a great workout. Too bad I offset some of that with my Aunt's cookies.
  • renaegry
    Well a slow start to my day. Still sitting around drinking coffee. Want to get a run in but the winds are gusting up to 50 km. Thinking 10am will head out. Then it will be sitting on my butt the rest of the day doing book work

@highmaintnance i sent you a message on mfp regarding Fitbit.
  • dgmommy
    dgmommy Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! Sporadic user of MFP, but back on! I have quite a bit to lose, and am recovering from a car accident that happened two years ago, the pain would undoubtedly be helped by weight loss. Since I will be working from home until February (at least), now is the time for a change. I have nothing but time to focus on me! Could use as many buddies as possible for motivation, please feel free to add me!
  • highmaintnance
    Hello @dgmommy! I was working from home from March to the end of July and it helped tremendously with exercising. I was able to get many short walks in here and there throughout the day, no wasted time on commute, and to be able to prep and start supper was invaluable. I was very sad to come back to the office. I'm just coming back to MFP too.