WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Morning Ladies
    Rori- bless your heart ,wish i lived closer and could help...
    Well think Sanibel is a no go.. not exactly sure yet..but the rental i was looking at is off the market and the real estate agent is ignoring me..
    I did post in a couple of the Sanibel facebook pages about what i am looking for..
    I dont want to risk 2 + weeks quarentining and almost 1,000 bucks for nothing so will give it a week and then cancel if I have to.
    Where God closes a door he opens a window
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Sorry I have been MIA. I have been having a few weeks where I am not sure why, but I am bucking all of the good habits I developed. I think it is due to the extended lock down and general disappointment of where we are with this thing and basically no place to really vent as it touches upon many political and ideological topics. I will leave it at that.

SuziQ - SFL

Suzi - I sent you an invitation to the private group where we're allowing ourselves to discuss exactly those things. It's been cathartic for many of us.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Kelly
    My granddaughter is swimming with her summertime neighborhood team. I don't believe the pool is open for open swimming, just for the swim team. The competing teams stay in their own neighborhoods and swim in their home pools, then merge results to create a virtual meet. I have been to all 3 of her meets. Socially distancing with masks on, tailgating in the parking lot, bring chairs and food/drinks from home, then go to the poolside for her events only. I like it so much better than the FlusterCuck that swim meets usually are, with multiple teams at one neighborhood pool not designed to accomodate so many people, or cars. Parking is a nightmare, it's wall-to-wall people with no place to sit, and meets go late into the night, compared to the current situation where there is plenty of parking, you are poolside for your swimmer's events only, and the meet is over in less than 2 hours. So much better.

Her year-round team is on break but will start up again in the fall, I think. Depends on whether they feel they can meet the stringent COVID requirements set out by the aquatic league officials.

RE: Monarch butterflies. I am going to find some milkweed seed to sow this fall to attract monarchs next spring. Yay! I will do it outside on my deck or in a filtered light area with some kind of safe monarch haven. Plenty of time to do research.

Karen in Virginia, off to virtual work for a few hours. Have a great Saturday!

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Kelly great idea to keep them by the window. Is it in a room where you do not use it when it gets dark so there is no artificial light at night. It is the artificial light at unnatural times that throws them off.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Lisa, Thank you for setting up the opportunity for venting for those who find that practice therapeutic. I took a look at it for the first time this morning and saw how many posts there were on so many different topics. I read just enough to remind me why I'm glad we don't have such discussions on this thread. When someone is venting, they are likely to believe that others who are reading their words are of the same mind and will welcome hearing what they say when, in fact, there will be many who not only don't agree with them, but are hurt and sad by what they say. I strongly believe in free speech and the rights of all to speak their minds, but I believe also in my right to not have to listen. I don't watch the news or read the paper but I will defend to the end, the importance of the press.

<3Allie, I'm sorry to hear that there is a roadblock to your dream. As you wait, you can continue to clean and organize your possessions and assess your finances so when the door or window opens, you'll be physically and emotionally ready to go through it.

:) Jake used his Ninja Foodie the last two days to make hot dogs and buns that taste like they were grilled outdoors. Today he'll fix the chuck roast with multi-colored potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. He has been watching lots of cooking videos in preparation.

:) I just keep on walking dogs, dancing,working in the yard, riding my exercise bike, knitting, and attending Zoom meetings. Don't do much housework.

:) Temps here are in the 60's during the day, 50's at night with occasional light rain.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    Since I have yet to become part of the private group I do want to address a possible way to start to make some positive changes to what is going on. I have a long talk about all the turmoil of today with a friend. We both vented but had no solutions. I ended up have a night terror that night because it churned up so many personal issues for me too.

A positive that did come from that conversation is that much of the strife of today the roots are trauma. It got me think what heals trauma. I think of situations when I was teaching where I had moments of healing. They came when I was as Barbie talks about present to the situation and child and worked with that child where the best of them and me came out. Just being with someone in the silence is often healing. Just sitting without filling the space anything else but your presence.

Meeting another dog in the neighbor who was in the loving arms of his owner. By his reaction to me you could tell had been abused in his previous home. As we parted I made sure the neighbor I did not hold his behavior against him.

These are the types of acts that heal trauma. As the sign says in my garden PLANT KINDNESS.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Hello

Suzi - I sent you an invitation to the private group where we're allowing ourselves to discuss exactly those things. It's been cathartic for many of us.

I asked to become part of that group and did not receive confirmation. I think that was during the MFP issues. :smile:
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    💖
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Hello

I asked to become part of that group and did not receive confirmation. I think that was during the MFP issues. :smile:

I'm so sorry! Had I seen your ask, I would have made you a member, but it never came across. My apologies.
  • margaretturk
    Suzi not sure of the process to join.
  • LisaInAR
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/123702-women-ages-50 - for those interested in the group. Many are members already from earlier days, when it was just sort of an advertisement for this thread. I have already turned away more than a few who aren't on the thread, but asked them to come here first, join the conversation, and then decide whether they want to join the group still.

Much of the initial catharsis has, I think, run its course--but anyone who is part of this thread is welcome to join. It does impinge on all the things we choose not to deal with on this thread, including religion and politics, so yes, you will see opinions that are not the same as yours. If that is uncomfortable for anyone, I would suggest that they not ask to join.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbara: Indigo Bunting=beautiful bird. Inigo Montoya=funny movie character from Princess Bride. :wink: (I really enjoyed that movie, silly as it was.) When DH had his last round of eyedrops the pharmacy gave him samples because the RX cost so much money. He doesn’t remember the name of the drops. :ohwell:

Heather: Here in Oregon there have been some upticks in Covid 19 cases. Our county is still doing very well compared to others. We’re avoiding Portland and Beaverton, although I did have a procedure in Portland. They were meticulous about safety. :flowerforyou:

SuziQ: I’m happy to see you posting again. Your worries about power outages are something I haven’t worried about in years. We have been very lucky. Buying a gasoline powered generator for the freezer makes some sense to me. I imagine you’d want it outside on your deck to keep the fumes away. :heart:

Allie: Your thoughtful approach to Sanibel makes good sense to me. :star:

Lisa: I think the opportunity for discussion of more controversial subjects is a gift. Thank you!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,960 Member
    I put henna on my dark hair which gives it red highlights, but the roots are subtle. I do it every two months or so.

Still doing taxes. I would so much rather eat something!

Annie in Delaware
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    Allie LOL for a minute, I thought you were getting one of thesecllnnyofvgzc.png

>>>

OMG RITA!!! Those temperatures! Is your humidity really low? In normal times when people go to restaurants, do they have misters to keep people cool?

>>>.

>>>

[

Rita's little Francesca DOES look yummy! LOL
    . .

So yes, I think you missed the explanation of it.

Karen in Virginia

The humidity is low thank goodness. Mid to low 30’s in am and Dow to about 7 in afternoon.

Gotta go talk later!

RV rita
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    Pip - Wow! That is a huge drop! In the uk you usually fix the price according to the condition of the house and normally the survey is just a formality. Old houses are old houses. Ours is nearly 100 years old. Most people rip everything out anyway! New everything! Every house round here has been totally redone. Are you sure you couldn't get a better offer? I'm sure you understand the US system better than I do. :o<3 Your house is utterly charming.

Had a quick look at the 'group', which I joined at its inception and didn't use. I'm a bit afraid to start! :o:p I have far too many 'bees in my bonnet'.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx