WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did Ellen Barrett,s Fat Burning Fusion DVD (pilates). The plan for tomorrow is to do Any Dixon and Paul Katemi’s Double Down DVD.

Barbara
    – A friend of mine’s dog was fixed and had to wear the “cone of shame”. The dog hated it. What she did was she went to a second-hand store and bought a baby onesies and put that on the dog. Kept the dog from licking/scratching the incision but the dog could eat out of her dish, etc. Didn’t mind it (much) but found it acceptable to the cone. There is that stuff that they put around your arm after you get blood drawn. I don’t know what it’s called but it sticks to itself. Can you possibly put some of that on her leg so she can’t chew at it?

SuziQ – yes, I’ve read that in your area of FL, the cases of covid are high. Doesn’t this s***k? I remember when Lexi was first abused and seized by the SPCA, I had to talk Vince into going to get her. Now she’s, honestly, his favorite. I dread when she crosses the rainbow bridge. I have to admit, she has a place in my heart. She’s so small (6 pounds) and been thru so much.

Drove by the Y where I took the water aerobics class and they are open. Not that they’re supposed to be. It seems that people are for the most part ignoring the Governor’s mandate of staying in phase 2.

Allie – oh no!!!!

Lisa – would you please send that link to me? I would find it interesting. I know I was there before but I don’t find it now Update: thanks for posting it

Pip
    – You did great on your house!

Went to the farmer’s market. I found this thing you put in the microwave to heat up. I'll give it to Jess for Christmas. She used the one Vince has. He complained that it wasn't good, that it doesn't have things that go around you so you can put it on. Really, it was a fundraiser for the soup kitchen I volunteer at. She can choose to use it or not use it. I know the soup kitchen is hurting for money. They usually had fundraisers for things like spaghetti suppers, but they can’t have them. Then I went to the Salvation Army. Got 2 shirts, not sure if the one is going to be too large for me (it’s a medium, not sure if I should have had a small) and another shirt that’s the exact kind like my work shirt is so for $2 I got it for when I need another work shirt.

Then into the pool (did you expect anything different?). The water is 89. It’s really getting to where it’s not refreshing anymore

Well, Jess just left. Evidently, when she gets back she’s going to work at Banfield again (this time they’re hiring her) for a few more weeks.

Katla
    - you’re kidding me! Someone reported you???? Why???? What is this becoming?

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2020
    Michele: I don't know who or why. It is a mystery and I'm glad it is in the past. :flowerforyou:
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2020
    I did not see the discussion leading to the decision for a separate group for "deeper" discussion. May I be added to the invite list please?!

Cheri
    💜💛💚💙
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :) I hung around in the house with Jake most of the day and rode my exercise bike so I burned a lot of calories, but my pedometer thinks I died because I have so few steps.

<3 Barbie
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,432 Member
    So I spoiled my guys and made chicken fried rice. 8 chicken tenders cut up, 6 eggs, 6 strips of bacon cut up, 12 cups of sticky rice, and homemade teriyaki sauce. Have two small containers left! I had 1 bowl. Been doing 2MAD 2 meals a day these days. Skip breakfast, and ate a later lunch today.👍

Received a letter from one of my pals today. Ten page letrer! Another gal wrote me a letter venting. I feel touched that they trust me enough to open up. Not all letters are happy things, but life.

Today I sat and made cover letters with some more stamps I bought yesterday at Dollar tree. One was stiff stained glass stickers, another was cactus plants, and others were faith and home themed. Then I took the plastic packages the stickers came in, and made sticker gift bags. Then I created more out of the paper the stickers were on. It is fun to organize!

I'm now enduring a violent Van Damme' action movie. I think my guys watch them to heckle all the actors throughout the ENTIRE movie.....😂😁
    Hugs ladies!
    💖Rebecca
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I had a good day puttering around the yard and helping DH clean the deck where a spatula hanging from a hook on the barbecue dripped grease onto our deck. We finally figured out a good way to clean and things started looking better. The best cleaning item we found was baking soda. It made a huge improvement in cleaning up the grease stains. I mixed it with water into a paste and put it on the stains. After a bit the stains were disappearing. Much later things got even better. I received a text message from my teacher offering a riding lesson tomorrow. I am so happy to get out of the house and visit the stable. I'll give Arrow a good brushing, saddle him for my lesson, and ride. Social distancing is not a problem in the arena. There is plenty of room for my teacher, Arrow and me. :star:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited July 2020
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: not much
    Bonus: beach stroll with Joe and the dogs, 3 hours combing Tumble while watching Good Bones on dvr.
    Get to do: Gold Beach, Freddie’s, drop off mic at pc guy’s, Clean SOMETHING: (10 Guest Bth; 30 Bdrms, 28 mins Master Bth, 20 Living Rm, 20 mins Office); practice new dances (Evergreen, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right; next week final? Follow up call for Joe’s Dr. appointment, transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.
    Jumpback July
    11: Share feelings with someone you trust: That would be you gals. Thanks for being here.

Heather 19 hour power cut on Christmas Eve when you were expecting family? Nervous breakdown indeed. Yes vets are $pendy, but our dogs are family, so worth it.
    SuziQ 21 days without power? Twice ?!? :noway: putting together your own solar system for your townhome? I admire your initiative, would love to learn more.
    Ginny “isolation… helped better prepare me...” Brava for finding this silverish lining in what was a very very hard time.
    Katla, mind reader ;) Say Hi to Arrow for us.
    pip $60K in repairs? IMHO you made the right decision to let it go to the don’t have to fix anything gal. In a 114 year old house, as soon as you open the walls to start “fixing” things, more broken things are found. You could end up out the $$ and with no sale and a trashed house. When do you move?
    Alllie sorry the agent turned nasty and sorrier for your disappointment. Believe something better is down the road for you.
    Annie keep on walking! :love: hennaed hair, have always favored redheads.
    Margaret :love: the pic of Drew napping next to son. Peaceful, tranquil, just what you’d wish for both. And then the pic of your son tenderly holding Drew :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Kim gorgeous harvest, what’s wrong with having snowmen up in July? Might be cooling :lol:
    Michele was having a hard time imagining how a baby onesie would fit over Shadow’s head to keep her from licking her leg, :laugh: when I re-read your post and saw it was used to protect a belly incision, silly me. Yes we do use the wrap instead of the cone when we run the dogs on the beach, she’s so happy to chase Tumble and the birds she doesn’t try to lick. We had a comfy cone for Scooter that we tried on Shadow but it was just a tad too small. Have ordered the next size up, hope it gets here soon. 3 days down 9 to go.
    Rebecca using the sticker bags and backing paper to make gift bags and even more stickers, you ROCK galfriend.
    Keeping good thoughts for Machka’s surgery and recovery.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    July: better than June.
    daily: steps>5491=6121 vits=11 log=11 CI<CO=10 CI<250<CO=9 Tumble & Shadow 5=12 mfp=11 clean 10 mins=4 outside=11 up hill=10
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=5 rx=1 dance=3
    mnthly: board mtg= grant=2 20for20=
    bonus: AF=5.75 play= sew=
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Greetings one and all.

Long Story about a Big Surprise
    I got a big surprise from one of our reps two weeks ago. One of my duties is to submit claims for incentives offered by our partners. Many of the partners have quarterly limits. These incentives can add up to a lot of money. As such I treat this part of my job as if I was claiming for myself. That all said, one of our reps contacted me as he was concerned he would be over his quarterly limit for one of our partners and did not want to lose any of the funds. He “heard” I have a magic way of claiming under one of his team members so they can get the funds. Please note this is not “illegal” under any of the partner’s T&Cs. The funds must be allocated to the “claimed” person.

I assured the rep not to worry I track all limits and advise each rep when they get close so we can claim for one of their people. He was so concerned he downloaded all of his sales and said, this is big. I was closing out one of our months and let him know I would look at everything and get back to him by a certain day. Over the course of eight weeks we had a lot of back and forth emails with me sending all details including when we received or would receive payments and when he and his team member would see the dollars in their COM checks.

After the last email the rep said I want to send you something are you in the office or remote. I let him know he did not have to send me anything, I was just doing my job. He insisted so I provided my home address. Note here – he lives in the Chicago area and typically sends popcorn from the famous popcorn maker there. It’s called Chicago Mix and it’s the best mixed cheddar and caramel popcorn. It’s like crack to popcorn lovers. So I was looking forward to a big can of popcorn that I would have to ration! The following day I looked outside to see a letter-sized package was thrown over the fence and was by my front door. When I noticed the return address I said to myself, “I did not order anything from Amazon”. I double-checked the ship to because the delivery people are constantly tossing neighbor’s packages over anyone’s fence. Yes, it was to me.

I opened the package and it was a gift card from the rep. I had to triple check the amount. He sent me $500 for all of the things I do for the reps. I was literally shaking I was so shocked. And, here I was looking forward to that darn popcorn. His generosity was really overwhelming and proved once again there are many who are good and appreciate the things we do. Most times we do not even know the receiver is thankful, we just have to keep doing what we do.

I guess you are all wondering (yes, this story is getting long and I am putting it in a spoiler) what I did with the gift card. With all of the remote work I was finding I needed a printer at home. So I bought a decent home/office all in one printer/scanner/fax. Now, I do not have to go to the office to print things which keeps me safe. I also love my Kindle but with it being over 10 years old it is no longer holding a charge or fully charging. So I also treated myself to another Kindle. I got the waterproof one with the maximum amount of storage. It took me quite a long time to convert to an e-reader. I still love the smell and feel of a book, but I sure do enjoy being able to carry a library of books with me wherever I go.

Pip – CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! I am so happy for you and Kirby. Like you I paid one third the amount as my current neighbors and if I were to receive an inspection like you I would opt for the same thing.

Michelle – Those boxes would have been tossed or mailed a long time ago by me. Like Tracey I have my limits. Tossing out an idea here – why can’t the soup kitchen do the fundraiser with meals to go? People can pre-order and then pick up.

Barbara – Sending positive thoughts and prayers for a successful outcome for Joe’s eye surgery. Sorry about little Shadow. For the small solar system I am using a trickle system. Basically a small solar panel charges a truck/marine battery. From the batteries an inverter is used to change the power from DC to AC.

Heather – Have you considered getting a portable A/C unit? I am thinking about getting one for hurricane season. One that will run on my solar generator so at least I can comfortably sleep. I do have battery operated fans which feel like heaven when the power is out. As far as your freezer stress, I have a side-by-side refrigerator. On each shelf I have a 3-liter plastic container that was filled with water and now are solid ice. I find when we have periodic power outages the bricks keep the freezer very cold and I have yet to lose any food even if the power is out for over a day and I do not frequently open the freezer.

KJ – I still want to be one of your kids.

Allie – I think the universe is sending you a message. Right now things are still very shaky here and I would not suggest to anyone coming down for a visit. This gives you more time to research different areas and plan a longer trip so you can really see where you may want to land, if you were to move down here. And, I know we are in different places in our lives, but it’s funny I imagined I would be on the beach every weekend when I first moved here. I live 5 miles away from it and haven’t seen the ocean in hm……a year! Yes, Sanibel it is unavoidable, but there is still the real life versus vacation reality.

Barbie – Jake’s roast looked delicious. I could almost smell it. And, great advice to Allie, as always!

Cheri – I love your hair. Mine still leans more towards dark brown and the grey is really at 50%. I cannot wait to be fully grey. Crazy to most of my gal friends, but I want that Jamie Lee Curtis look.

Lisa – No need to apologize at all. I figured it was MFP. I never seem to get messages. I will have to check out my settings – maybe something is blocked there.

Ginny – When I started seeing people paying a ton of money for grey highlights that’s when I started thinking about going natural. And, there are so many people I see who really rock it. It is definitely freeing and if we tire of it, we can always change it.

Annie – I am working on my taxes too. They are done, just need to be reviewed. I better get to it today as I have to send on Wednesday! I owe so I am obviously in no rush.

Kim – Oh, those vegetables made my mouth water. I think I would make a vegetable lasagna (cut squash lengthwise, grill, and use as the noodles). One day I will have a place where I can grow my own food. If the darn association would just let me use a little plot of land that nobody uses. Oh, well, that’s life for right now. I can get out in the fields during gleaning season. Oh, and it’s perfect you are decorated for Christmas in July!

Katla - ?? Really!! Over a graduation ceremony. To say I am surprised is an understatement as I feel we are all pretty level here. Oh, and baking soda is the bomb! Bob Villa’s site is wonderful when looking for cleaning solutions. He suggested using the baking soda paste to remove buildup on the oven glass. It’s works like a charm! I also use baking soda and vinegar to clear my drains in the kitchen.

Rebecca – Oh, how I love the Dollar Store! So many great things to be found there.

The to-do list awaits so I must go for now. I hope everyone has or had a great day!
    SuziQ – SFL
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    :)
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers to Machka. I believe today was her day to get her diviated septum repaired.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Lisa- Thanks for the link! I remember when we (you) started that group; to give us a place to talk about things that we shouldn't talk about here. Then I forgot about it. lol I see there are quite a few topics/discussions. I will have to go back to it and read a bit during my week off!
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    😶
    Debby in Va
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    SuziQ I am inspired by your solar project. A few years ago I was working on a solar powered system to pump water from the pond we live on to water our lawn but it never came to fruition. I don't know why I didn't persist. In our neighborhood, those of us that live on the pond are allowed to use the water for lawn irrigation.

Congratulations on your well-deserved surprise bonus! So happy for you to have a new printer and Kindle! I'm sure you are loving them. And gorgeous Bromeliad. I have one that is a mother plant and a baby plant both in the same pot. The baby plant was blooming when it was given to me a couple of years ago. I have never researched Bromeliads. I would welcome any tips or pointers.

>>>

Hoping Machka and her husband are faring well.

>>>

Barbie Jake's chuck roast and veggies look scrumptious! I'm thinking the Ninja Foodie was a good idea. Did you figure out where to store it?

>>>

Barbara I'm sorry you have to deal with the cone of shame for your dog. My Farley did well with the self-stick stretchy wrap after his knee surgery many years ago. We were told to use the cone, but we didn't. He is small, so we mostly just kept him next to one of us the majority of the time while he recuperated so we could keep an eye on him and discourage him from chewing on the wrap or his leg.

>>>

Pip I wish you had gotten top dollar for your house, but even so, you are getting a great return on your investment and can now be free of the house and all its repair requirements. Maybe knowing it needs all those repairs will make it a little easier to part from the house from an emotional standpoint? Anyway, congratulations on the sale of your home, and here's to the next great adventure! t0337.gif

>>>

Karen in Virginia