Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Did everybody see the bus driver who was assaulted by a couple people, all over mask requirements; he died due to extensive brain injuries. :( WTF is wrong with people???? They need extensive jail time, hopefully in a Covid ward of some kind. I'm sorry, I wouldn't wish Covid on my enemies but really, to me that'd be justice working at its best.

Is that the one in France? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/french-bus-driver-beaten-death-after-asking-passengers-wear-face-n1233603

I recall being surprised that stuff like that was apparently happening there too.

A friend of mine took the bus recently, and she said most were wearing them, but not all. I wish the drivers were enforcing them here, or refusing to let people on. Possibly some are, some aren't.

In our area, when shutdown orders first went into place, you had to enter from the door at the middle of the bus, and they suspended fares. I'm not sure if the mirrors for drivers are good enough to let them see whether someone at the middle of the bus is wearing a mask, and how they would deal with it if there was one person not wearing a mask and another who was (pretty sure the non-mask-wearer would not comply with a request not to board if the driver opened the door for the mask-wearer). Plus, I don't think the drivers should be put in a situation of enforcement/confrontation with anti-social individuals whose response might be to beat them to death.

Another situation I don't know the answer for. Maybe we're already living in a dystopian future, and just haven't noticed.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    @moonangel12, what is their exact complaint? I ask because it is just so easy for me to wear a mask that it is hard for me to imagine that so many people object so much.
    I understand that a few people have panic attacks or other reasons. But I really don’t understand the ANGER about masks.
    One lady doesn’t wear one when she doesn’t have to just because she doesn’t want to, but when her work told her she had to, she didn’t question it at all, just put it on and always wears one to work. Still not anywhere else.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Did everybody see the bus driver who was assaulted by a couple people, all over mask requirements; he died due to extensive brain injuries. :( WTF is wrong with people???? They need extensive jail time, hopefully in a Covid ward of some kind. I'm sorry, I wouldn't wish Covid on my enemies but really, to me that'd be justice working at its best.

Is that the one in France? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/french-bus-driver-beaten-death-after-asking-passengers-wear-face-n1233603

I recall being surprised that stuff like that was apparently happening there too.

A friend of mine took the bus recently, and she said most were wearing them, but not all. I wish the drivers were enforcing them here, or refusing to let people on. Possibly some are, some aren't.

Unfortunately the driver would rather take a chance with the possible virus vs possible physical altercation.

I don't think a physical altercation would be very likely here (you can't get on until you pay, you can't get on without a mask), at least not in the places I've taken buses. My friend said most people were wearing them, and the bus crowd tends to be older on average. Maybe in some parts of the South and West sides it would be different.

I went to the post office downtown last week and had to ask for help finding a package at the desk. There are big signs that masks are required, and everyone was wearing them and standing on the dots that social distance those in line, but then some young woman with a bike (I also doubt bikes are allowed in the building) came up and stood right next to me without a mask. I moved sideways to get away from her (I was at the counter being helped, not in line), but didn't say anything because I am conflict avoidant in public and wasn't really in the mood for the "okay, Karen" or whatever thing she was likely to say, but I was slightly annoyed their security didn't tell her to put a mask on. But since I didn't say anything, I can't really complain, I suppose. I always find it surprising when people are just so blatant in disregarding the rules, though, since I can't imagine doing that.

How does that work? Is the farebox attached to the outside of the bus? The places I've used buses, the fareboxes are inside the bus, next to the driver so s/he can see if you pay or not. And if you can't get on if you're not wearing a mask, does that mean that all the mask-wearers at a stop with one non-mask-wearer gets left behind? All the scenarios I'm imagining where this works involves a level of compliance that I wouldn't expect from someone who has already decided not to mask (e.g., the door opens for the mask-wearers, and the non-mask-wearer just doesn't get on because they're not supposed to).

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

Unfortunately the driver would rather take a chance with the possible virus vs possible physical altercation.

I don't think a physical altercation would be very likely here (you can't get on until you pay, you can't get on without a mask), at least not in the places I've taken buses. My friend said most people were wearing them, and the bus crowd tends to be older on average. Maybe in some parts of the South and West sides it would be different.

I went to the post office downtown last week and had to ask for help finding a package at the desk. There are big signs that masks are required, and everyone was wearing them and standing on the dots that social distance those in line, but then some young woman with a bike (I also doubt bikes are allowed in the building) came up and stood right next to me without a mask. I moved sideways to get away from her (I was at the counter being helped, not in line), but didn't say anything because I am conflict avoidant in public and wasn't really in the mood for the "okay, Karen" or whatever thing she was likely to say, but I was slightly annoyed their security didn't tell her to put a mask on. But since I didn't say anything, I can't really complain, I suppose. I always find it surprising when people are just so blatant in disregarding the rules, though, since I can't imagine doing that.

How does that work? Is the farebox attached to the outside of the bus? The places I've used buses, the fareboxes are inside the bus, next to the driver so s/he can see if you pay or not. And if you can't get on if you're not wearing a mask, does that mean that all the mask-wearers at a stop with one non-mask-wearer gets left behind? All the scenarios I'm imagining where this works involves a level of compliance that I wouldn't expect from someone who has already decided not to mask (e.g., the door opens for the mask-wearers, and the non-mask-wearer just doesn't get on because they're not supposed to).

That's what I was thinking. I haven't been on a city transit bus for decades except a couple times when they were used for shuttle buses for a ball game but those had a fare box next to the driver.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    ehjmom wrote: »
    I work in a hospital in a hot zone right now and I cannot tell you the thousands of dollars of construction we have done to build negative pressure areas. They’re paying for traveling nurses. The morgue is full and they’re doing something by the ER construction wise which I feel could be a field morgue based on the morgue being full and ER usually needs to be close to the morgue. Anyone can reason they’re not spending all this money to make their hospital look like a war zone for a hoax. We are losing revenue from elective stuff. Our big wigs have all taken a pay cut. Doctors have taken one in our largest Md group. I’m not even gonna get my regular raise this year bc they’re putting so much into corona prep.

When we face time or zoom people who don’t live here, two people have called it a hoax. I don’t even argue because that kind of stupidity just can’t be reasoned with.

Thank you for the mask wearers posting!!! You’re doing right for yourself and everyone else. There have been a number of times I’ve been with a Covid positive patient without an n95 for a brief period of time (just a regular mask and hand hygiene and good habits) and thankfully it has been enough in those instances so it does work...even if it’s not an n95 something is better than nothing if you’re just around someone for a short periods like the grocery store.

Thanks for your service out there. Stay safe.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited July 2020

You step up (or use the ramp if it's someone who needs that) and then tap the box inside with your card or pay with cash. (There is a clear door between the box and the driver.) He/she can say "you haven't paid" if they don't, and could also say "put on a mask if you want to come in or get off." Since the vast majority of people are compliant here, I can't see how someone could just barge their way on if that's not a problem with people who don't pay already (and I've never heard that it is). I really don't see how requiring a mask is more difficult than requiring payment.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for your reply @moonangel12 . I hadn’t thought of hot flashes, but I understand. Of course people with breathing difficulties are going to have to figure out a way that works for them, but they’re not automatically angry. It’s the ANGRY people I don’t understand. I’ve looked at some of the conspiracy theories, and I guess they’re pretty persuasive. Maybe that’s where some of the anger comes from. I see people not wearing masks when 90% are. I just always think they have a reason. But I’ve been lucky enough to not run into any of those angry people yet.

I also believe strongly that masks protect us, as well as the other person. I hear so many people say that you wear them to protect the other person and the other person wears one to protect you. But I definitely wear mine to protect ME. I also wash my hands often to protect ME. If it protects you too, that’s a good thing. Partly because if you don’t get it, that’s one less person who could possibly give it to me and my loved ones.

The point is that your mask does very little to protect you (unless N95 or higher). The value for everyone else is several times greater than it is for you, the wearer.

I disagree. It does protect you to a great extent. Not 100% for sure, but depending on the fabric and fit, maybe up to 80%.
    That’s a lot!
    I know the officials are saying otherwise, But they did an about face when they first told us masks are no good, don’t use them. Then they said masks are good, wear them. They were always good. They were always good for yourself, as well as others.

I have KN 95 masks now. I was using an old, used N95 (from dusting/sanding) but it got so nasty that I bought some KN 95 masks off of Aliexpress. I know that the Chinese govt hiding numbers was awful, but KN 95 masks are nearly as good as N95 masks. Even 3M, the maker of N95 masks said they are a suitable replacement for N95s, which healthcare workers desperately need right now. KN95s are the Chinese version of N95s. A little more "leakage" but way better than most homemade masks.

I bought a lot of 50 for the local hospital early in the pandemic (for a guy that worked in the respiratory Dept asking for them). He was perfectly fine with the KN 95s but didn't want the homemade masks -- while he appreciated the volunteers doing that (and they are better than nothing) -- the KN 95s offer much more protection in a clinical setting.

Since the rest of the developed world has Covid-19 nearly under control, KN95 masks are available if someone wants something better than a homemade one. Aliexpress is like the Chinese version of Amazon. Just make sure they are shipped/warehoused in the US so they don't take 2 months to get here.