Serial Starters

Replies

• arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I’m really, really over this year. Really. My step dad is in the hospital. First time in 20 years, I’ve known him to be in hospital or, sick enough to warrant trip to ER. Not that he’s healthy. Just never needed to go. He hadn’t been feeling well all week and meds Dr gave him, didn’t help. Mom took him to ER, today. He is in Congestive Heart failure...Really? Crazy thing, that is what my Dad died from. Wow....mom doesn’t want me to come home. Thinks he’ll be released tomorrow. I may go, if he isn’t...was planning a visit next weekend...

Just not sure how much more my head can handle....
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 601 Member
    I have had a very busy day, with lots of walking and kayaking, and am now waiting for my kids to bring me some ice cream. I have the calories to spare and there is no junk food in the house. I've also taken ibuprofen so when I go to bed in a bit, I won't be bothered by a few sore, tired muscles. It was a lovely day after early morning humidity cleared--low 80s, sunny, not too humid, and a nice breeze to keep the bugs away. Today is what most of a WI summer should feel like, and we've had too few of these so far.

Skye was so funny on the kayak. I forgot her life vest but felt comfortable without it; my friend is an excellent kayaker and is experienced with taking dogs on the water. Skye jumped in a few times, and slid in a few times; she really likes to be on the front of the boat. So tomorrow, at my friend's suggestion, I'll be getting something to put on the front of my kayak to improve her grip--the kind of mat you use under a sleeping bag, cut and fastened on with velcro so I can take it off if I don't need it. The vest I have this time is too small--the previous one was too large, so I have to return that for a medium, which should be fine. Clearly the young woman who helped me find a vest didn't know how to measure Skye properly, because when I used the measurement (the first time, she just handed me the large and said it would be perfect) she gave me to pick the 2nd one, it was much too small. You can see for yourself how Skye likes to ride.
    bzinwnh54gn7.jpeg
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,836 Member
    dj6im09b9fis.jpg
    *** SATURDAY July 11th ***

Hello to everyone who stops by today 👋🏻

Lana
  • LanaCabana537
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    I’m really, really over this year. Really. My step dad is in the hospital. First time in 20 years, I’ve known him to be in hospital or, sick enough to warrant trip to ER. Not that he’s healthy. Just never needed to go. He hadn’t been feeling well all week and meds Dr gave him, didn’t help. Mom took him to ER, today. He is in Congestive Heart failure...Really? Crazy thing, that is what my Dad died from. Wow....mom doesn’t want me to come home. Thinks he’ll be released tomorrow. I may go, if he isn’t...was planning a visit next weekend.

Hi Dawn~~

I am sorry to hear that you are having stress because of your step dad's diagnosis of CHF. People can live fairly well for a very long time after getting this diagnosis. My father had it and lived to 92.

I urge you to please relax, don't worry, and go visit next weekend, as you planned.

Huge hugs,
    Lana
  • LanaCabana537

Maureen - Cute photo! Looks like it was glorious weather indeed!

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,328 Member
    Good morning,

Another HOT day here yippee! I am taking a neighbor shopping to see if another store has items her "go to" store was out of. Asked why so early - less people in store.

1) walking

2) if I can get at store today an asian noodle stir fry

Wave to all who follow. Stay safe out there.
  • mkculs13
    Good morning. Dawn, my heart hurts for you, your dad, and your family. Prayers for all.

Lana, thanks. I love that pic.

Sara, I like getting out early to stores, too, even under normal circumstances. I pretty much hate all shopping, so the fewer people in my way, the better. It's frustrating if I time it slightly wrong and there's only one check-out open for 5 people in line, but that is still better to me than negotiating aisles or dressing rooms that have people in them. The good part I've noticed is that the steps add to my mileage :) It's so much cooler to walk in a store some days. Do you wear something--phone, watch--that keeps track so you can count that as part of your walk today?

I woke up tired today--my Garmin says I covered 7.7 miles yesterday, so that could be why. Looks like we are back to hot and humid, so it will be a good day to move slowly when I'm getting in my basic walks. Trying to think of the shadiest areas that have grass and no undergrowth, on high ground--less buggy. I wear bug spray but it's still annoying if the bugs are thick and it's humid. They literally drown when they land on my sweat--how's that for an image? Thank god most don't land when I wear the spray.

I've been so busy the last 2 days my food logging has been disrupted. I am still making good choices and not depriving myself. I had a lovely ice cream to add calories yesterday after my exercise took me about 1200 over my budget. That's really rare--usually my exercise adds 300-500, which is just perfect for my appetite and levels of hunger. I also used a calculator to figure out what exercise I'd need to do to keep that number of extra cals when I reach goal, and it wasn't as bad as I thought :) I know myself and if I only get a budget of 1350 or lower at maintenance, I'll struggle to maintain. But those exercise cals make such a difference to me and 1600 cals will keep me happy. I'm more than willing to walk the extra mile or two for those.

• LanaCabana537
    edited July 2020
    gnl78fp4jp25.jpeg
    *** SUNDAY July 12th ***

.....just getting us started....gotta scoot....lots to do today~

Lana
  • mkculs13
    Good morning, all. It's a pretty day here--not too humid, clear and high of 84 predicted. I got up and out early with the pups, did my jogging, had some coffee, and got a load of laundry ready to go. Haven't actually put the laundry in the machine yet, though.

I've been frustrated with my own lack of motivation--laziness--for a very long time. Yesterday, I realized I know how to improve my performance as an "athlete," (not elite!!!!!!), and why wasn't I applying my own knowledge to my other concerns? So, as of today, I'm using some of my strategies for improving fitness/exercise performance to address other shortcomings--and it begins with starting small, just like weight loss, and making change gradually.

My Garmin is telling me I have covered 3.6 miles already today, and I'm wondering how that can be right. My phone says 2.7, and that seems almost exactly right--but usually the Garmin is more accurate (I think!). Maybe I got up and walked around after midnight and just don't remember--wearing the watch, not carrying the phone. :smiley: It's a mystery.

I'm keeping an eye on all the debate about reopening schools. It seems so obvious that it will be a disaster of epic proportions if they reopen during this spike--but who knows where things will be 2-4 weeks from now? I suspect we will still being seeing numbers going up then, and all the clamoring "open them" will stop. But then, I'm using reason and science to form my opinion. And for some reason, I don't feel particularly vulnerable. I have no reason to assume I'll do ok if/when I get Covid; I don't have a lot of risk factors (obesity, mainly), but many healthy, younger people have gotten quite ill and even died, so why do I feel relatively safe? But, I'm glad I do-and I try to keep anxiety about my kids to a low level. One son had Whooping Cough in an outbreak here and has had some lung sensitivity since, but that's only in winter and he's a college athlete. He's the one I worry about most, until I remember that part about "even healthy, young people . . ."

Hoping you all have some good plans for the day. I want to kayak later but my usual boating buddy is not available, so I have to find someone else. I don't boat alone. And the dogs will go to the DP with me later. We did our morning exercise in the conservancy that is right outside my door.

Have a good one, folks.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good morning,

One day to sleep in so I took advantage, so hot last night it never cooled down so I stayed out with neighbors had a sausage / chips and got some steps dancing to the music (by myself I am uncoordinated with set feet work).

Hope to get some hardware (lightbulb, air filter and adjust chair for work) done today - will have to go to hardware store for new air filters..... but otherwise i am inside. After I wash my hand wash dishes, I will make 2 batches of stir fry mixes and freeze the extras so my week is easy.

Today is our hottest and last day of over 100 heat (105) yuckee poo.

Maureen - if you see the young people acting like there is no trouble partying and drinking there is your answer- so long as they dont care - we are in for a longer haul. But it will change when things hit too close to home for them. Even our President was seen wearing a mask !!!!

Wave to all who follow. Stay safe and sane and cool out there.

• mkculs13
    Sara, I have not seen young folks partying, but only b/c I'm never where I might see them :) The teens in herds on our local trail are enough to have me shaking my head. As a teacher, I know darn well that half or more of them told mom, "But I'm just meeting Becky, and we will be safe." Umhuh. I thought about taking pics and posting them to a neighborhood page, so parents could see what their kids are up to, but that would be creepy and possibly illegal, I suppose. A lot of teen girls are incapable of walking independently and must be draped over one another, too. Under normal circumstances, it makes me smile. Not so much when I think how their parents will feel if the kid gets sick.

Sounds like you have a good plan for the day. Stay hydrated.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    MONDAY

a9auv9d72v44.png

Supposed to be cooler here there was a breeze last night so we shall see.

Had my work chair adjusted by neighbor it is solid metal base and I knew I couldnt fix it alone. He also put up my bulletin board. I replaced lights and a/c filter after going to hardware store, first time I have seem everyone wearing a mask.

Cooler air better chair - how could I dislike Monday?

Wave to all who follow. Stay safe and sane out there.

• LanaCabana537

Good morning Sara~~

I bet it feels good for you to have gotten some things done: the chair, the bulletin board, lights and filters, the meal prep. Yay for you!

I am still struggling with staying on program. That is because I am fragile emotionally, and I live alone with no "adult supervision".

Once again, I will be looking for The Key today.

Waves to all who stop by later on~~

BBL

Lana
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Hello all!
    Maureen - love the picture with the kayak. My goofy lab would have me and her in the water if I tried that :smiley:
    Sara - glad you had such help from neighbor. That is awesome!
    Lana - the struggle....I understand.
    Dawn - sorry to hear about all of the medical troubles. That is very stressful. Take care of yourself! Be kind to you!
    Waves to all who stop in!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    I've been on hiatus for no good reason. Dawn, I think, sorry if I got the wrong name, sorry to hear about your step dad. I of course don't know the severity of his congestive heart failure but it isn't necessarily life threatening if the treatment takes the fluid out of the lungs. Both my parents was treated and released for it. It is not to be taken lightly but can be treated unless the heart is already compromised. Think good thoughts and prayers. Sorry for the wrong verb tense.
  • LanaCabana537
    3yvinx1wo4n6.jpeg
    *** TUESDAY July 14th ***

Bastille Day 🇫🇷

Good morning Sara and Lynn and Holly and everyone else who stops by today~~

Scale showed me an ugly number this morning. Gee, could it have been the breakfast sausage, potato chips, ham, and other prepared foods? Gah.

*tossing towel and beach bag onto favorite lounge chair for later*

Lana
  • Sara628588
    Sara628588 Posts: 88 Member
    Got a date with my lovely therapist..... always good, even on the tough days. The its a home made naan bread vegan pizza (I'm not vegan but eat a lot of vegan as my daughter is). Then I aim to walk into town instead of driving in. And that depends on the rain!
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good morning,

Stayed out later than planned talking with neighbors - with mask on. One of the few interactions I get in the day.

Scale not quite my friend either and I have an apt with pcp end of month. It is what it is and I need to stop grazing after dinner. Weather nice enough to go walking this week instead, so put on my to do list.

Sara628 - naan bread pizza is incredible enjoy that and your therapist visit.

I need to make sure I keep the water going as it is not as hot out.

Mrs Monster is gone for today / tomorrow which means I wont be email / IM "bombed" in the day. How relaxing.

Wave to all who follow. Stay safe and sane out there.

• mkculs13
    Hi, all. I think I missed yesterday. I'm getting too careless about logging. I need to slow down all the useless stuff I'm filling my time with, and take time to log. I have not bought breakfast food yet this week, either, so I am letting myself get too hungry while waiting for a suitable time to call the first meal "lunch." I know I can get too hungry doing this, so I need to stop. But so far, have stayed on track with my calorie budget.

Nice weather the last 3 days and I've missed most of it, being inside and sore and not walking like I should--well, just yesterday. Heading out after this post to get some exercise before I go to a friend's home for a social-distancing get together. Another colleague is bringing her daughter who has a severe, chronic illness, so we will all be super careful. Skye gets to go, too.

Hoping all are doing well.
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    holly1283 wrote: »
    I've been on hiatus for no good reason. Dawn, I think, sorry if I got the wrong name, sorry to hear about your step dad. I of course don't know the severity of his congestive heart failure but it isn't necessarily life threatening if the treatment takes the fluid out of the lungs. Both my parents was treated and released for it. It is not to be taken lightly but can be treated unless the heart is already compromised. Think good thoughts and prayers. Sorry for the wrong verb tense.

Thank you..I know, it's treatable and he can live a long while with it... my worry, is I am 3 hrs away and mom doesn't really have anyone to be with her... my Dad also passed away from CHF... but, he had other issues... mom says, he is doing ok, just keeps getting dizzy... may be a med adjustment... hopefully, they can get him straightened out soon...

Thanks again,
    Dawn