Motivating or Obnoxious?

missyelainious
missyelainious Posts: 30 Member
If a total stranger says something encouraging while you're working out? (They are genuinely trying to be nice).

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2020
    I am pretty neutral on the topic. It doesn't bother me, but it doesn't really inspire me either. I do appreciate people just being nice and friendly, not necessarily saying something, but I like the friendly smile and wave when out running.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    It depends on your personality.

Me, I find it totally obnoxious. But, I can't stand cheerleaders....it seems fake to me, even if the person is being genuine. I really don't get any motivation from the encouragement of other people, especially strangers.

I think that if people want to be friendly to a stranger, you can just say "Hello" or "Nice day today!" or something neutral like that.

I'm probably in the minority, though. I imagine most people either don't mind or would like it.
  • LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    I think it depends on how they do it. When they say just something mild and nice, that's motivating. But (just like all the stupid posters and t-shirts and Instagram pictures) they say things like "grind!" and so on, that's just obnoxious.
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 192 Member
    I don't care at all. Half the reason I go to the gym is to chit chat. I like people and i'm not bothered by the weird things they say.
    Everyone is normal until you get to know them...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    Carp614 wrote: »
    I don't care at all. Half the reason I go to the gym is to chit chat. I like people and i'm not bothered by the weird things they say.
    Everyone is normal until you get to know them...

See, THAT would annoy me. I don't belong to a gym but, if I did, I'd be there to work out. No distractions.

I think it can be motivating but there's this one guy I pass all the time when I'm out walking who gives me an encouraging thumbs up every time I see him. It's a nice gesture but I tend to trip and stumble a lot so it ends up being more obnoxious because I can't pay attention to the street.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    I don't mind the "high five" kind of comment after I have finished my set or when I am resting. There are times when someone thinks they are giving that kind of comment when in reality they are being condescending or obnoxious. If I don't ask for your advice, keep your comments to your self. If I'm in the middle of a lift or set, keep your comments to yourself. If your comment is framed with a "for a girl", "that will make you bulky", or something in that ball park... keep your comments to yourself.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Flatter me and I may not believe you. Encourage me with true kindness and I will not forget you. I don't get caught up in motivational praise or criticism. At some point all of the comments stop and no one really notices. Long term goals are not sustained by approval or destroyed by lack of comments at the gym or anywhere. Don't let compliments get to your head and don't let criticism get to your heart. <3
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Obnoxious, and even condescending to me. I'm an introvert with social anxiety, I want to be left to do my thing. My exercise isn't about anyone but me
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,612 Member
    LaMartian wrote: »
    I think it depends on how they do it. When they say just something mild and nice, that's motivating. But (just like all the stupid posters and t-shirts and Instagram pictures) they say things like "grind!" and so on, that's just obnoxious.

I agree with this. Obnoxious generic sayings like you're killing it or you got this...but genuine kindness makes me smile.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    I think it really depends on the person receiving the comment and their perception. If a comment is truly coming from a good place with no ill-intent I don’t see why I would perceive it as a negative thing unless I was having a crappy day and was generally in a poor mindset.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I'm in the 'it depends' camp. I don't go to the gym at all, way outside my comfort zone. :( But any time someone mentions anything about my physical aspects, it all depends how they say it, who's saying it, if it's coming across as supportive/jealousy/condescending, etc. I think "good job" is said all too often, to congratulate others on anything and everything so I take it with a teeny grain of salt. Kind of along the lines of trophies and awards these days, or claiming "good job" for every single itsy bitsy thing a child does. Sorry, gone on a tangent now. :)
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Not a fan. I do love it when I get a smile on a run though. That's more motivating than saying something imo.

Also if someone I don't know well but I've seen around the gym a bit says something it's different. Like if I was at crossfit and someone there said "that was a great set" it would be different because they're not a total stranger they're part of the same group. When I was at uni going to the gym a lot someone who I'd bumped into a fair bit said "you're really making a huge improvement aren't you?" and I was buzzing.