Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Did everybody see the bus driver who was assaulted by a couple people, all over mask requirements; he died due to extensive brain injuries. :( WTF is wrong with people???? They need extensive jail time, hopefully in a Covid ward of some kind. I'm sorry, I wouldn't wish Covid on my enemies but really, to me that'd be justice working at its best.

Is that the one in France? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/french-bus-driver-beaten-death-after-asking-passengers-wear-face-n1233603

I recall being surprised that stuff like that was apparently happening there too.

A friend of mine took the bus recently, and she said most were wearing them, but not all. I wish the drivers were enforcing them here, or refusing to let people on. Possibly some are, some aren't.

Unfortunately the driver would rather take a chance with the possible virus vs possible physical altercation.

I don't think a physical altercation would be very likely here (you can't get on until you pay, you can't get on without a mask), at least not in the places I've taken buses. My friend said most people were wearing them, and the bus crowd tends to be older on average. Maybe in some parts of the South and West sides it would be different.

I went to the post office downtown last week and had to ask for help finding a package at the desk. There are big signs that masks are required, and everyone was wearing them and standing on the dots that social distance those in line, but then some young woman with a bike (I also doubt bikes are allowed in the building) came up and stood right next to me without a mask. I moved sideways to get away from her (I was at the counter being helped, not in line), but didn't say anything because I am conflict avoidant in public and wasn't really in the mood for the "okay, Karen" or whatever thing she was likely to say, but I was slightly annoyed their security didn't tell her to put a mask on. But since I didn't say anything, I can't really complain, I suppose. I always find it surprising when people are just so blatant in disregarding the rules, though, since I can't imagine doing that.

How does that work? Is the farebox attached to the outside of the bus? The places I've used buses, the fareboxes are inside the bus, next to the driver so s/he can see if you pay or not. And if you can't get on if you're not wearing a mask, does that mean that all the mask-wearers at a stop with one non-mask-wearer gets left behind? All the scenarios I'm imagining where this works involves a level of compliance that I wouldn't expect from someone who has already decided not to mask (e.g., the door opens for the mask-wearers, and the non-mask-wearer just doesn't get on because they're not supposed to).

You step up (or use the ramp if it's someone who needs that) and then tap the box inside with your card or pay with cash. (There is a clear door between the box and the driver.) He/she can say "you haven't paid" if they don't, and could also say "put on a mask if you want to come in or get off." Since the vast majority of people are compliant here, I can't see how someone could just barge their way on if that's not a problem with people who don't pay already (and I've never heard that it is). I really don't see how requiring a mask is more difficult than requiring payment.

So it's like an airlock? The second, clear door prevents you from continuing to the seats, as well as prevents you from reaching the driver? I'm glad you live somewhere that everyone is generally compliant and that has designed its buses to deal with noncompliance.

I know we've always had a small percentage of people who try to avoid the fares (boarding from the middle or just brushing past the fare box and sometimes becoming aggressive or violent if the driver calls them on it), so it's hard for me to imagine any system that would be effective here to prevent those who refuse to wear a mask from getting on a bus.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited July 2020
    Did everybody see the bus driver who was assaulted by a couple people, all over mask requirements; he died due to extensive brain injuries. :( WTF is wrong with people???? They need extensive jail time, hopefully in a Covid ward of some kind. I'm sorry, I wouldn't wish Covid on my enemies but really, to me that'd be justice working at its best.

Is that the one in France? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/french-bus-driver-beaten-death-after-asking-passengers-wear-face-n1233603

I recall being surprised that stuff like that was apparently happening there too.

A friend of mine took the bus recently, and she said most were wearing them, but not all. I wish the drivers were enforcing them here, or refusing to let people on. Possibly some are, some aren't.

Unfortunately the driver would rather take a chance with the possible virus vs possible physical altercation.

I don't think a physical altercation would be very likely here (you can't get on until you pay, you can't get on without a mask), at least not in the places I've taken buses. My friend said most people were wearing them, and the bus crowd tends to be older on average. Maybe in some parts of the South and West sides it would be different.

I went to the post office downtown last week and had to ask for help finding a package at the desk. There are big signs that masks are required, and everyone was wearing them and standing on the dots that social distance those in line, but then some young woman with a bike (I also doubt bikes are allowed in the building) came up and stood right next to me without a mask. I moved sideways to get away from her (I was at the counter being helped, not in line), but didn't say anything because I am conflict avoidant in public and wasn't really in the mood for the "okay, Karen" or whatever thing she was likely to say, but I was slightly annoyed their security didn't tell her to put a mask on. But since I didn't say anything, I can't really complain, I suppose. I always find it surprising when people are just so blatant in disregarding the rules, though, since I can't imagine doing that.

How does that work? Is the farebox attached to the outside of the bus? The places I've used buses, the fareboxes are inside the bus, next to the driver so s/he can see if you pay or not. And if you can't get on if you're not wearing a mask, does that mean that all the mask-wearers at a stop with one non-mask-wearer gets left behind? All the scenarios I'm imagining where this works involves a level of compliance that I wouldn't expect from someone who has already decided not to mask (e.g., the door opens for the mask-wearers, and the non-mask-wearer just doesn't get on because they're not supposed to).

You step up (or use the ramp if it's someone who needs that) and then tap the box inside with your card or pay with cash. (There is a clear door between the box and the driver.) He/she can say "you haven't paid" if they don't, and could also say "put on a mask if you want to come in or get off." Since the vast majority of people are compliant here, I can't see how someone could just barge their way on if that's not a problem with people who don't pay already (and I've never heard that it is). I really don't see how requiring a mask is more difficult than requiring payment.

So it's like an airlock? The second, clear door prevents you from continuing to the seats, as well as prevents you from reaching the driver? I'm glad you live somewhere that everyone is generally compliant and that has designed its buses to deal with noncompliance.

No, it doesn't prevent you from continuing to the seats, it protects the driver. I suppose if someone got on without paying, the driver would call security/police to meet the bus at a future stop -- never ever seen anyone do that, though, there's not a problem with people just getting on without paying (like I said, it's possible this is different in higher crime neighborhoods). The point is it seems like it would be similar to requiring fare payment, not different in kind (especially since most people are wearing masks and would be on the driver's side).

I suspect people are somewhat more compliant here vs some of the other stories I've heard in this forum since our numbers were very bad early on compared to many places, so people are less likely to take it lightly. (Numbers still aren't all that great, IMO.)

The L has security, but the driver also cannot see what most people are doing, so enforcing it there would be more difficult.
  • lynn_glenmont

No, it doesn't prevent you from continuing to the seats, it protects the driver. I suppose if someone got on without paying, the driver would call security/police to meet the bus at a future stop -- never ever seen anyone do that, though, there's not a problem with people just getting on without paying (like I said, it's possible this is different in higher crime neighborhoods). The point is it seems like it would be similar to requiring fare payment, not different in kind (especially since most people are wearing masks and would be on the driver's side).

I suspect people are somewhat more compliant here vs some of the other stories I've heard in this forum since our numbers were very bad early on compared to many places, so people are less likely to take it lightly. (Numbers still aren't all that great, IMO.)

The L has security, but the driver also cannot see what most people are doing, so enforcing it there would be more difficult.

Thanks for explaining. I'm glad some place (Chicago?) has it figured out. The clear door protecting the driver seems like a good idea. Wish we had them here. I've seen some truly awful footage of drivers being attacked in recent years, now that there are security cams on the buses.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    We finally got the official announcement about the Chicago Marathon cancelling. I think we all knew it would happen and were waiting to finally get the official announcement.

I saw that and thought of you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited July 2020
    nm. Don't feel like defending that.
  • lynn_glenmont
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    While out this morning, (UK) a fellow customer was heard asking, " what is social distancing". How many weeks have we been living with virus related restrictions?

I feel for our US friends, I'm in a county where there have been no deaths since the 15th of June, long may it last and happen in more areas. Too much to hope the virus will disappear overnight everywhere.

I think we need "America/Britain/Polynesia/etc.'s Got Talent" to feature performers who explain social distancing and mask use, and a "Bachelor/Batchelorette" who quizes potential mates about coronavirus precautions, and . . . . ;)

Or maybe the Masked Singer could explain it ... to music.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Pre-print study on how long antibodies last.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.09.20148429v1
    It's probably only a few months. Those people having Covid parties didn't even get much benefit.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://msn.com/en-us/finance/markets/hong-kong-adopts-its-strictest-ever-virus-measures-as-city-reels/ar-BB16HJ5o

Hong Kong did an awesome job of limiting the first wave of the virus yet this second wave news does not sound good for those of us where the first wave is still increasing.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    https://msn.com/en-us/finance/markets/hong-kong-adopts-its-strictest-ever-virus-measures-as-city-reels/ar-BB16HJ5o

Hong Kong did an awesome job of limiting the first wave of the virus yet this second wave news does not sound good for those of us where the first wave is still increasing.

Maybe it's all relative--I do work in NJ, where they report 200-300 new cases daily--but I wouldn't say 40 new cases is "roaring" back, as the graph suggests. I think they can tighten up restrictions without the hysteric language.

It is troubling that they can't explain the jump.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I don't know who's worse, MSN, NYT, CNN or Fox.

They are all selling something, so there's that. I suspect online stories are based on searches...so I wouldn't think they are necessarily good sources to read. So. Much. Drama.

I agree 100%! I want facts, let me interpret them and add my own emotions... I don’t want numbers spun to make me feel what you want me to feel.

A guy at my husband’s work is convinced this will disappear after the election. people actually think a WORLDWIDE pandemic is all because of OUR national election. I had heard about that theory circulating, but this is the first IRL example we have had.