Getting Fit in the 30's

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Hey hey! 35 y/o here! I’ve definitely been struggling with weight gain since all this COVID madness. I’m having trouble with food and limiting the junk. I’m a runner, and have no issues with getting exercise in, but it’s impossible to outrun a bad diet (trust me, I’ve tried!) 😩
  • LukesGreenMilk
    LukesGreenMilk Posts: 56 Member
    edited July 2020
    Hello! In on this, I'm 33 and have another 3 pounds to go til I lost 30 pounds - then hoping to maintain from there. I do tons of meal prep, mostly Lebanese, southern, and soul food. This week I prepped fattoush, grape leaves, and hummus.
    I used to workout at the gym a lot but now I do yoga, pilates, resistance bands, and run once a week instead. Here's the programs I'm on. Each of these are 30 day playlists if anybody wants to use them through the summer!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6H12ula7k4&list=PLc0asrzrjtZLuuiyhpKYnPsxKIQYInE37&index=2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUeGb5_UE4&list=PLKzpgYNAcbwJeFxeehGmNB6ATnSwqYf4q&index=2.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Had no snacks in the house so had some cereal instead at night last night. If it's not in the house, I'm not tempted to eat it!
  • liliesonthepond
    liliesonthepond Posts: 25 Member
    Hey hey! 35 y/o here! I’ve definitely been struggling with weight gain since all this COVID madness. I’m having trouble with food and limiting the junk. I’m a runner, and have no issues with getting exercise in, but it’s impossible to outrun a bad diet (trust me, I’ve tried!) 😩

Agreed! It's very sad haha. We can do this! How are you planning on changing things up?
  • liliesonthepond
    Hello! In on this, I'm 33 and have another 3 pounds to go til I lost 30 pounds - then hoping to maintain from there. I do tons of meal prep, mostly Lebanese, southern, and soul food. This week I prepped fattoush, grape leaves, and hummus.
    I used to workout at the gym a lot but now I do yoga, pilates, resistance bands, and run once a week instead. Here's the programs I'm on. Each of these are 30 day playlists if anybody wants to use them through the summer!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6H12ula7k4&list=PLc0asrzrjtZLuuiyhpKYnPsxKIQYInE37&index=2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUeGb5_UE4&list=PLKzpgYNAcbwJeFxeehGmNB6ATnSwqYf4q&index=2.

Oh awesome!! That is so helpful! I prepped some chicken meatballs and slow cooked chicken in broth to add with veggies and rice during the week. Lebanese food sounds interesting. I could learn a lot from you! I've been using the sweat app for weight training exercises. I'll have to take a look at yours.
  • liliesonthepond
    Had no snacks in the house so had some cereal instead at night last night. If it's not in the house, I'm not tempted to eat it!

That's a great start. It's so true that of it's on the house you're more apt to eat it. I don't want to get rid of sweets completely so I'm im trying to just keep little chocolate chips around. I also switched to fudgicles or those mini mini Ben and Jerry I've creams for a special treat so I don't overdo the sweets myself.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member

Agreed! It's very sad haha. We can do this! How are you planning on changing things up?

Well, I need to stop buying and ordering so much junk food, concentrate on eating what I’ve bought and allocated for the week. I do that and my problem is solved lol.

• scollis11
    scollis11 Posts: 21 Member
    I feel like this is the thread for me! I actually said to my husband a few days ago that I am healthier every day of my 30s (so far, I turned 31 recently) than I was a single day in my 20s. While it is harder in my 30s, I do feel like I am far more motivated to become healthy not just to look good, but also for my long term health. While that is all true, I am seriously struggling with my motivation. My goal is to lose at least 20 more pounds. I am down about 85 over the last 2 years. I know all the right things to do, but I would rather just drink a Truly seltzer, eat a delish sub, and hang out on my boat then spend time meal prepping, going to the gym, and being hyper focused on eating well. Someone, HELP!
  • liliesonthepond
    If anyone has a Fitbit and wants to add me to do challenges, etc just let me know!!
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Gonna join in! I'm 36 and looking to get back fit. I had a kid a year ago, and basically haven't done anything fitness wise since he was born (actually even earlier due to pregnancy restrictions!). With Covid going on we have nixed our gym memberships so I know this will be hard for me to stay motivated as I really love to workout in a group setting - so this time at least for the foreseeable future I've got to push myself!

We've ordered a Peloton bike so that will be my main mode of cardio once it arrives, but I'm really gonna miss lifting heavy. We don't have the space, so ordering equipment isn't an option. So if anyone has any awesome ideas for strength training at home, please share!

But for now I'm starting slow with walking and just focusing on the diet.
  • liliesonthepond
    Gonna join in! I'm 36 and looking to get back fit. I had a kid a year ago, and basically haven't done anything fitness wise since he was born (actually even earlier due to pregnancy restrictions!). With Covid going on we have nixed our gym memberships so I know this will be hard for me to stay motivated as I really love to workout in a group setting - so this time at least for the foreseeable future I've got to push myself!

We've ordered a Peloton bike so that will be my main mode of cardio once it arrives, but I'm really gonna miss lifting heavy. We don't have the space, so ordering equipment isn't an option. So if anyone has any awesome ideas for strength training at home, please share!

I know there are a ton of exercise videos now because of covid but I've been using the sweat app since I haven't been able to get to a gym since having my little one a year and a half ago as well. It's a paid program but honestly I love the strength training exercises as they seem pretty similar to what I used to do. I don't have a ton of equipment at home just a few dumbbells, resistance bands and a treadmill. You should try it out! I can connect you with a 7 day trial of you can't get one and want to try it.
  • liliesonthepond
    scollis11 wrote: »
    I feel like this is the thread for me! I actually said to my husband a few days ago that I am healthier every day of my 30s (so far, I turned 31 recently) than I was a single day in my 20s. While it is harder in my 30s, I do feel like I am far more motivated to become healthy not just to look good, but also for my long term health. While that is all true, I am seriously struggling with my motivation. My goal is to lose at least 20 more pounds. I am down about 85 over the last 2 years. I know all the right things to do, but I would rather just drink a Truly seltzer, eat a delish sub, and hang out on my boat then spend time meal prepping, going to the gym, and being hyper focused on eating well. Someone, HELP!

I thought I replied to this but I don't see it anywhere! 85 lbs is amazing! Congrats!! I honestly hate meal prepping but it's really the only thing that works for me as long as I stay consistent. I can't give up all the good food cause then I just go crazy and feel miserable so I just try to limit it. What do you have planned for this week? How are you going to crush your goals?
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    I know there are a ton of exercise videos now because of covid but I've been using the sweat app since I haven't been able to get to a gym since having my little one a year and a half ago as well. It's a paid program but honestly I love the strength training exercises as they seem pretty similar to what I used to do. I don't have a ton of equipment at home just a few dumbbells, resistance bands and a treadmill. You should try it out! I can connect you with a 7 day trial of you can't get one and want to try it.

I haven't heard of that. I'll take a look!

• silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Well, Monday, I'm 181.4 Also, I did some semblance of exercise at home this morning, on a new Dance Dance Revolution pad I got- specifically because I hate the gym and the shin splints with running, and this way I can exercise despite the weather. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • scollis11
    scollis11 wrote: »

I thought I replied to this but I don't see it anywhere! 85 lbs is amazing! Congrats!! I honestly hate meal prepping but it's really the only thing that works for me as long as I stay consistent. I can't give up all the good food cause then I just go crazy and feel miserable so I just try to limit it. What do you have planned for this week? How are you going to crush your goals?

Thanks! Meal prepping helps more than most other things. We had Big Mac Bowls tonight with ground turkey, tomorrow is fish taco salads, Wednesday is BBQ chicken with cauliflower potato salad, and Thursday is shrimp fajitas. I make approximately 4 portions of each dinner and then we have leftovers for lunch.
    I had to jump into day one one my intermittent fasting after taking three weeks off, today. So lotttts of water and some coffee early helped to get me through. Tomorrow will be tougher, but that's OK!
  • liliesonthepond
    Well, Monday, I'm 181.4 Also, I did some semblance of exercise at home this morning, on a new Dance Dance Revolution pad I got- specifically because I hate the gym and the shin splints with running, and this way I can exercise despite the weather. I'll let you know how it goes!

Oh that's fun!! That can be a good workout I bet!
  • geff21
    geff21 Posts: 1 Member
    Hey! Almost thirty, but one son! Two kitties😋 I felt like I was doing great with working out and eating well and then life got super busy and I've falling off the wagon a little bit. Needing motivation to work out again!
  • scollis11

Do you have access to a small space to do some videos? My FAVORITE are fitnessblender on YouTube. They are mostly HIIT style workouts and it can all be done with minimal equipment and body weight. The best part is you can pick a video that is anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour or so. Do what you can with the time you have!
    My parents have a Peloton and it is awesome. Are you going to do the monthly subscription? It is expensive, but my parents find it to be very much worth it.
  • scollis11

Love your meal prep choices! Lebanese foods are some of my favorite and remind me of home. We had a huge Lebanese heritage festival in my hometown each summer, and it was one of my favorite events!
  • liliesonthepond
    geff21 wrote: »
    Hey! Almost thirty, but one son! Two kitties😋 I felt like I was doing great with working out and eating well and then life got super busy and I've falling off the wagon a little bit. Needing motivation to work out again!

Join the club! Haha. You can do it! I'm a big procrastinator even when I'm ready to do a workout all dressed and ready I somehow find a million other things to do before I decide ok I'm ready 😬. I try to remind myself I always feel better after all it's worth it.