Transitioning back to carbohydrates.

I’ve started tracking my macros again which has bought me to this forum. Over the last 2 years I successfully lost 40kgs (88lbs) on keto but have new goals to achieve. I’ve never been physically strong and aim to build muscle and strength through weight training. For this, I’ve decided to transition back to carbs but my body seems to be hating it. I really thrived for the last 2 years and didn’t really experience the “keto flu” as others struggled with. But, coming back onto carbs, is it possible to get “Carb flu”? I think I’m about a week in and I’m just feeling like I’ve hit a brick wall. And I haven’t even started my training yet!
I’m not calling it quits, but thought I’d share my experience incase there’s someone else out there in similar circumstances. It’s not something I can find too much information about.
I can’t seem to digest oats but rice is fine. I understand it takes time for your gut microbiome to adapt, but it’s just a frustrating process. i8jsmxn220zb.jpeg

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    @That_Loser_Kid

I am going to move your thread to the gaining weight and body building forums, I think there are some members there who have worked on strength training while on keto/ low carb and can share their experiences. Sometimes posts get buried quickly in the introduce yourself sections.

~best wishes on your journey
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    A good nutritionist can be incredibly helpful! I've not generally heard of people who have difficulty with oats, so there's a good place to start your discussion!

My experience is that it is hard to do significant sustained exercise (e.g., hour-long) without fueling with carbs. Someone will jump in with exactly the opposite experience, I'm sure. But, you don't need to over-eat carbs either, so you can stay quite low, experimenting with how you feel, for some time. My personal experience is like this: I'm going on a 1-2 hour bike ride, so I "banana-up" at the start and then have another carb shot about half way through (sometimes a Gu or other sports thingie). I also drink electrolytes before going (Nuun). You can do all this with natural products, if you want.

For resistance training, you can get by with lower carb, but endurance generally requires carbs, in my experience. (I acknowledge that the next person will probably contradict me, so there is room for individual preference!)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'm going to have to disagree with @Jthanmyfitnesspal - I don't think anyone has to correct him.

For just having better strength workouts, some well times carbs may be all that's needed - and not many of them.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    i have transitioned from keto to a more card based diet twice, both times its taken a while for my digestion
    to get back to normal, i'd very slowly start adding carbs back into your diet, usualy took my 3-4 weeks before i
    felt comfortable again
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2020
    heybales wrote: »
    I'm going to have to disagree with @Jthanmyfitnesspal - I don't think anyone has to correct him.

For just having better strength workouts, some well times carbs may be all that's needed - and not many of them.

Yep. Simply running a TKD diet, where you time 30-50g of carbs (fast acting so glucose), will help your workouts.

OP: its probably the additional fiber that is giving you some digestive issues.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Balance may help. It's easy to have a carb based meal and have too much of 1 item. I try to balance carbs, protein, fats, and fiber in a meal if I can.

If I have a bowl of oatmeal, I may get enough complex carbs, but not enough of other items. It's mostly oatmeal. Instead of the oatmeal, I may make a smoothie were I can add in oats, peanut butter, blueberries, protein powder, flax, etc.. . Provides more varied nutrients and balance.